Thread: The price of Vagrant Story?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default The price of Vagrant Story?

Today, I found a copy of the PSX game Vagrant Story at a little thrift shop. It's in a two-disc case, but the second disc (which looks like it was just a Square preview disc with some demos on it) is missing. The case, manual and the disk itself look to be in great condition.

Is this game any good? Is it rare? How much does it usually go for? I payed $1 for it. Was that a good deal, or was that even worth it? I've never heard anything about this game, so I don't really know.
    - Lots of cliché pictures, "cards" and quotes here -
    - Random GIF image here -
    - Custom user graphic here -

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Seems you got pretty lucky with that game, for $1 , its a decent RPG.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Just checked eBay prices, the cheapest one is selling for $13, some people are selling copies for close/over $100. Either way, yeah, as long as the game is good, a buck is a pretty good deal.

EDIT: eBay link for reference: http://www.ebay.com/ctg/?_pid=2807&_...197.m570.l1428

Anyone who's beaten it around these parts? Score out of 10? I'm a little confused as to why the MALE main character's name is Ashley, but heck, this is a Square game, maybe it has a weird, masculine-sounding pronunciation. I don't have the chance to hook up my PS2 right now to test it, though...

Thanks
    EP Points

Great find for only a dollar. I've beaten it and it's one of my favorite RPGs on the PSOne. It's at least a 8/10 for me, if not a 9, but this is just my personal opinion. It's kind of a love-it-or-hate-it sort of game. Some people really dislike it while others love it, so keep that in mind.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Busterthefox View Post
    I'm a little confused as to why the MALE main character's name is Ashley
    There's a certain man who would like to have a word with you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ash_Williams

Basically echoing what Gare said. Fabulous game, and one of my favourites on the PS1, but not for everyone by any means. Still, definitely worth a look, as there are few games of the era that match it on aesthetics and storytelling alone.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Sounds like this'll be a good game. I'm a pretty big RPG fan, and from looking at the manual, the story looks pretty good, too. I hope it's more on the turn-based strategy side, though. I'm not as terribly big on the action-RPG side of things, aside from Kingdom Hearts 3D. :p

EDIT: WAIT... So does that mean that Ash Ketchum from Pokémon's full name is Ashley Ketchum!? And here I always thought it was only ever a girl's name. And also, Ash from... Dammit, I can't remember the name. It was a PS2 game that was proted to the Wii, the main character's name was Marona, she was a little girl with green hair who could talk to spirits... And here I just thought it was a "cool-fantasy" type of name, like "ashes from a fire" type stuff. O_o You learn something new every day.
    Last edited by Busterthefox; 19th-August-2012 at 22:37.

Thanks
    EP Points

You played Parasite Eve? The first one. VS's battle system is kinda-sorta like that. Also, there are times when you have to time your button presses just right to get the most out of your attacks. So, uh, you'll just have to get used to that.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    You played Parasite Eve? The first one. VS's battle system is kinda-sorta like that. Also, there are times when you have to time your button presses just right to get the most out of your attacks. So, uh, you'll just have to get used to that.
    Sounds like a game right up my alley.
    Played too much Paper Mario for my timing to become rusty

"I am... Sheik. One of the last of the Sheikah tribe..."

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

So it's kinda half-and half, is that right?

I've beaten both Paper Mario games, they're a couple of my all-time favorites. It's not that I don't like action RPPGs, I love 'em, just not as much as when I get to sit down and think about what I can do next. helps me formulate strategies, like, "use the powerful attack that takes your ow HP away and then have your healing character, who always goes right after that character, use a spell that hurts the enemies a bit and heals that damage off of the other guy". That wasn't from anything specific, but you know what I mean? XD I like having time to sit and look through my abilities and stuff during a battle, so I can adapt to different situation. Like, "Oh, this boss has really high defense, I'll have to use magic. So I'll give all of my magic damage dealing items to my wariior guy who doesn't have any magic so he can be slightly useful". Haha. I LOVE me a turn-based RPG.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It's worth about $12.

Thanks

Great Game. Up there with Xenogears as my favorite PS1 games. A real hardcore game that makes you figure out how to play it. Weapon creation is everything! Otherwise boss fights are an hour long. As for getting it for a buck: Great find! You can resell it for more or just enjoy it.
    Practice does not make perfect, it makes permanent.

Thanks

Sounds like this'll be a good game

Thanks

Really fun game. And low a price like that becomes even better.

Thanks
    EP Points

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks

a BUCK? for VAGRANT STORY? go sell it for 50-80 kachings!

It was one of my favorites. unique game style. amazing weapon crafting. engaging story line. intriguing settings. epic boss battles. what more can I say?