Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scariest video games you've never played?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default Scariest video games you've never played?

The Telegraph had released an article called "The 10 scariest video games you've never played"... Should I be Scared that I have played EVERY SINGLE ONE of them?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...er-played.html

Or to save time:

10. Realms of the Haunting
    9. Cold Fear
    8. The Suffering
    7. Sanitarium
    6. Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason
    5. Penumbra: Black Plague
    4. Clive Barker’s Undying
    3. Alone in the Dark
    2. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
    1. Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Can anyone think of any I have missed? (and yes I have got Slender and Corril Slayer)
    Last edited by Kouen Hasuki; 19th-August-2012 at 11:07.

Thanks

Here's my list.

10. Parasite Eve PS
    09. Amnesia: The Dark Descent PC
    08. Clock Tower ll PS2
    07. Haunting Ground PS2
    06. Resident Evil 3 NGC
    05. Resident Evil CVX PS2
    04. Silent Hill 3 PS2
    03. Slender PC
    02. Silent Hill PS
    01. Silent Hill 2

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by coo757 View Post
    Here's my list.

10. Parasite Eve PS
    09. Amnesia: The Dark Descent PC
    08. Clock Tower ll PS2
    07. Haunting Ground PS2
    06. Resident Evil 3 NGC
    05. Resident Evil CVX PS2
    04. Silent Hill 3 PS2
    03. Slender PC
    02. Silent Hill PS
    01. Silent Hill 2
    this is more about the lesser known more obscure horror games

Thanks
    EP Points

Yume Nikki and LSD are worth a mention.

Thanks
    EP Points

Luigi's Mansion

Well, one game that is practically known for being a "best game you've never played", and also for being one of the very few non-RE mature games on the GameCube, is Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, but if you can stomach and actually search for all of those listed above, I'd think you would have at least given that one a try. Well, maybe not, since that would have required you to purchase a Nintendo console.

But there are two free indie games based on the ridiculously eerie SCP Foundation wiki: SCP-087B, and the more polished SCP- Containment Breach.
    IIRC, both games are randomly generated, which works well for the most part, but can be kind of hit-or-miss with SCP-087B specifically. You'll know what I mean when you play the game.
    My gear:
    Spoiler warning:
    PC:
    Operating Systems: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Linux Mint 15 (partition on main drive), Windows XP Profesional x64 (on separate drive)
    Mainboard: MSi 890 FXA-GD65
    Processor (CPU): AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, 3.3 GHz
    Graphics Card (GPU): HIS HD 6870 IceQ X TurboX 1GB GDDR5
    RAM: 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 594MHz (9-9-9-24)

Nintendo DS Lite:
    Acekard 2.1
    Samsung class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Sony PSP-1000 (phat)
    6.39 PRO-C2 Custom Firmware
    PhotoFast CR-5400 MicroSD to MS Pro Duo Adapter Dual Slot
    SanDisk Ultra class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Thanks
    EP Points

I thought everyone and their grandmother has already played Amnesia. 100% agreed with Undying, though. I would've given it the #1 spot, actually.

Also, I see you have Lone Survivor on Steam, might want to give it a go. Haven't played it myself, but I heard great things. There's also the Chzo Mythos games and The White Chamber if you want adventure games. I think you already know about Scratches, I've seen you post about it here. What else... uh, Condemned: Criminal Origins? Though I don't think it's especially obscure.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
    Yume Nikki and LSD are worth a mention.
    I'll keep an eye out on those

Quote Originally Posted by Alakazander View Post
    Luigi's Mansion

Well, one game that is practically known for being a "best game you've never played", and also for being one of the very few non-RE mature games on the GameCube, is Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, but if you can stomach and actually search for all of those listed above, I'd think you would have at least given that one a try. Well, maybe not, since that would have required you to purchase a Nintendo console.

But there are two free indie games based on the ridiculously eerie SCP Foundation wiki: SCP-087B, and the more polished SCP- Containment Breach.
    IIRC, both games are randomly generated, which works well for the most part, but can be kind of hit-or-miss with SCP-087B specifically. You'll know what I mean when you play the game.
    Done Eternal Darkness, Great game and one of the few decent games on the cube
    Edit: Oh Done Luigi's Mansion too

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    I thought everyone and their grandmother has already played Amnesia. 100% agreed with Undying, though. I would've given it the #1 spot, actually.

Also, I see you have Lone Survivor on Steam, might want to give it a go. Haven't played it myself, but I heard great things. There's also the Chzo Mythos games and The White Chamber if you want adventure games. I think you already know about Scratches, I've seen you post about it here. What else... uh, Condemned: Criminal Origins? Though I don't think it's especially obscure.
    Lone Survivor I gotta reinstall that again it reminds me of like a 2D Silent Hill 4, Scratches is awesome I even got the OST on my HDD and Condemned yup done the first one but couldn't get into the 2nd one so much felt too messy and kinda "SH: Homecoming" like (Josh Chasing) at least up to the point I played I was still chasing Van Horn (I think the name was)

Thanks
    EP Points

Shit, totally forgot about The Path.
    I'm not sure if I'd call it transcendental or just plain fucking scary, but it's a great couple (or more, depending on how many characters you play) of hours either way. Plus it's on Steam.

EDIT: Goddamn, I seem to be thinking up new games every 30 seconds.
    Anyway, Sweet Home. One of the few examples of a good licensed game, and maybe the only example where the licensed game is better than it's source (although apparently there is some speculation as to which actually came first, the game or the movie, since they were released on the same day and the movie would have probably taken longer to make), and definitely the most disturbing thing you will experience on the NES, or at least without knowing Japanese.

Hell, if you're going to be playing survival horror, why not start with the original? In fact, when Resident Evil was first proposed, it was going to be a remake of Sweet Home.
    The translated ROM is on the mainsite.
    Last edited by Alakazander; 19th-August-2012 at 12:45.
    My gear:
    Spoiler warning:
    PC:
    Operating Systems: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Linux Mint 15 (partition on main drive), Windows XP Profesional x64 (on separate drive)
    Mainboard: MSi 890 FXA-GD65
    Processor (CPU): AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, 3.3 GHz
    Graphics Card (GPU): HIS HD 6870 IceQ X TurboX 1GB GDDR5
    RAM: 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 594MHz (9-9-9-24)

Nintendo DS Lite:
    Acekard 2.1

Sony PSP-1000 (phat)
    6.39 PRO-C2 Custom Firmware
    PhotoFast CR-5400 MicroSD to MS Pro Duo Adapter Dual Slot
    SanDisk Ultra class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Thanks

I'm not sure if I'd call it transcendental or just plain fucking scary, but it's a great couple (or more, depending on how many characters you play) of hours either way. Plus it's on Steam.
    The Path! How on Earth could I forget that one.

I don't know if this counts but The Graveyard is a bit of a horror game and was made by the same producers http://tale-of-tales.com/TheGraveyard/index.html It's demo version is free.
    Last edited by coo757; 19th-August-2012 at 12:47.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Silent Hill 1 is scarier than 2 to me. Its grittier and theres hanging bodies you didnt see before.

LSD's graphics are not very great, but the atmosphere is very interesting, and the low tech graphics makes the dream world very cool where you have to move to see further into the world, nothings clear from far away.
    Last edited by williamjones; 19th-August-2012 at 12:57.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by williamjones View Post
    Silent Hill 1 is scarier than 2 to me. Its grittier and theres hanging bodies you didnt see before.

LSD's graphics are not very great, but the atmosphere is very interesting, and the low tech graphics makes the dream world very cool where you have to move to see further into the world, nothings clear from far away.
    Yeah I suppose I can agree. Especially SH1's soundtrack well that goes for every Silent Hill game. But still the thought of PH freaks me out

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

EDIT: Goddamn, I seem to be thinking up new games every 30 seconds.
    Anyway, Sweet Home. One of the few examples of a good licensed game, and maybe the only example where the licensed game is better than it's source (although apparently there is some speculation as to which actually came first, the game or the movie, since they were released on the same day and the movie would have probably taken longer to make), and definitely the most disturbing thing you will experience on the NES, or at least without knowing Japanese.

Hell, if you're going to be playing survival horror, why not start with the original? In fact, when Resident Evil was first proposed, it was going to be a remake of Sweet Home.
    The translated ROM is on the mainsite.
    Path: Done it, Interesting game thats for sure, got it on steam already
    Sweet Home: Now that sounds interesting, though I doubt it pre dates some of the dos horror's I have picked up from gog.. however ill load that into my emulator and play it on my Gameboy Micro or PSP When I get the chance!

Here are some PC Ones you may not know (and all avalible on GoG.com if you want to check em out / buy em)

The 7th Guest / 11th Hour
    Dark Fall (Series)
    Gabriel Knight (Series)
    Phantasmagoria (Series)
    Gorky 17
    Personal Nightmare - The one I think pre-dates "Sweet Home" January 1, 1989
    Vampire Redemption / Masqurade (Steam)
    Waxworks - Highly recommended

Quote Originally Posted by coo757 View Post
    The Path! How on Earth could I forget that one.

I don't know if this counts but The Graveyard is a bit of a horror game and was made by the same producers http://tale-of-tales.com/TheGraveyard/index.html It's demo version is free.
    Played the demo, its not what I would call horror but its Thought provoking
    Last edited by Kouen Hasuki; 19th-August-2012 at 13:08.

Thanks

It's more of a saddening sort of game. It's not worth buying seeing as the only thing that happens when you buy it is instead of her just sitting down after singing, she instead dies.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Oh yeah, has anyone played Slender? Where can I get it? Its supposed to be cool.

Thanks

Do a simple google search :3 It's free and yes I have also played it and it's pretty well done for the lack of creators/funding.