Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo vs EA

Thanks
    EP Points

Exclamation Nintendo vs EA

Spoiler warning:
    8 months before E3 and many months after this is what it was like between EA and Nintendo. Nintendo noticed that many people commended EA's online system and netcode they did for their Wii games (Madden, Medal of Honor, ect) so they asked them if they could work on contract to help build the core online ecosystem for their next gen console. EA provide a ton of consoling to Nintendo, such as how to make low-latency net code, username account systems, social networks and more. While other companies did provide input as well, EA made sure to provide the most input and support for the Wii U's R&D.
    As an reward, EA received development kits even before Ubisoft, Valve or Tecmo Koei. Many of EA's studios were interested, especially Bioware who have been wanting to put their own games on a Nintendo system for ages and finally had the technical ability to do it with a Mass Effect Trilogy port and Dragon Age 3 on slate for the system.
    Here comes the problem. At a meeting in Kyoto, a month or so after Peter Moore visited them, Nintendo of Japan showed EA their new Nintendo Network and Miiverse online system for Wii U. They wanted to congratulate them helping them with the support and paid them for their counseling.
    This is where reportedly EA according to my friends who were at the meeting the core executives at EA got greedy. They then offered this deal to Nintendo where EA could go further with the online system adding smartphone/tablet functionality, communities, Facebook and Twitter interactions and more. Better netcode and something that would truly rival X-Box Live and PSN.
    The catch? Nintendo would have to make the Nintendo Network for Wii U officially part of Origin and run Origin's interface and netcode. Ergo, Nintendo Network would be an Origin-exclusive network.
    Nintendo actually did debate for a minute if they should accept EA's deal, but they quickly decided (and put their foot down) that there was WAY more harm than good doing this. Even though Nintendo Network can link to Origin and it's servers, having the core network running on Origin would provide quality control issues. For example, if EA wanted to sell some low end DLC for $50 each when realistically consumers would buy it only for $5, EA could do this without Nintendo having any say since it was their network and not Nintendo's. Also, if a rival company let's say Activision wanted to put Modern Warfare 4 on Wii U, EA could give Activison the WORST netcode and support resources while putting all their back into Battlefield 4, thus making a rival look worse than EA"s products.
    These unfair business possibilities and consumer complaints on Origin for PC made Nintendo reject EA's offering for Origin and instead opted to keep the platform open to it's own internal network and able to link/patch in other networks such as Steam and uPlay.

This, like the PSN vs. Capcom incident that caused MH4 to jump ship, destroyed any momentum that Nintendo had with EA for Wii U. While EA still likes Wii U and will support it, from what I understand unless the launch titles or future titles sell way beyond expectations, EA will simply "throw Wii U bones" by putting some multiplatform games without giving them any real budgets. This means we are going to get low quality in terms of budget and manpower ports of various EA games with no soul behind them and thus the original agreement of ME3, FIFA and Madden are gimped and the developers have only that small budget to work with.
    Ironically, the good thing that came out of this is that other 3rd parties praised Nintendo. This especially pleased Ubisoft, who was head over heels with the system to begin with and this move further solidified their partnership with the Big N. In a way, Nintendo lost EA and gained the entire good side of Ubisoft instead.
    This also gave props to Valve, who also loves the system and since they are hard at work for 5 games in the next three years next year they will show off games for Wii U, starting with a multiplat Left 4 Dead prequel announcement for Q1/Q2 2013.

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=182620

If you didn't read it, EA wanted Nintendo to use Origins for their (Wiiu) online, but Nintendo said no, so now EA is pissed. Nothing of value was lost. I haven't played EA games in years. Atleast Nintendo turned down this deal.

Thanks
    EP Points

When I read "VS" I was smelling a lawsuit, but this is nothing.

Also fuck Valve, they should release the next Half-Life instead of playing around with consoles and tablets etc.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gezegond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

LOL, EA sucks anyway all they have is sports games and Sims, .... not exactly anything GOOD

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Spicer View Post
    LOL, EA sucks anyway all they have is sports games and Sims, .... not exactly anything GOOD
    And Battlefield, and Dead Space, and Desert Strike.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    EP Points

yay more shooters , still all garbage

Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, they are killing Dead Space by making it an lol shooter for number 3.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lizard81288 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

So...a publishing giant and a niche console/casual gaming company had a sissy-fight over a digital distribution/DRM sevice? Huh... Did anyone notice the short-lived "revolution" in Mexico?

I know that I'll be shot for this, but as much as I like the Battlefield series, Mirror's Edge is the most creative thing to ever come out of DICE.

As for EA, it's logo can be found everywhere. The only ones who should worry about the bickering are gamers, and possibly some of the smaller developers that EA represents. Remember--EA is mostly just a middleman now.
    Last edited by cylentstorm; 5th-August-2012 at 18:37.

Thanks
    EP Points

i wouldnt exactly call Nintendo Niche considering they are a bigger company than sony as a WHOLE which is pretty big considering sony does everything and nintendo now only does games rather than when they did Playing cards and love hotels in japan

Thanks
    EP Points

Wow. EA has a big ego without the games to back it up. Who does EA think they are anyway? I think it's funny that they thought Nintendo would go for this. It makes me like nintendo even more. hahahaha.

Thanks

Niche, as in only certain people buy handhelds and fitness games. Of course there is more to it than that, but you get the point. They don't try to compete with Sony and Microsoft directly because there's no need. Basically, they have their own market.

I knew about the playing cards, but the "love hotels" are a new one. Those places are a trip. You don't even have to see or talk to anyone about the rooms.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Spicer View Post
    EA covers a load of shit stuff, but Nintendo = a lot of shit anyway

Quote Originally Posted by gezegond View Post
    And Battlefield, and Dead Space, and Desert Strike.
    Mass Effect, Dragon Age...The Saboteur is another decent game (sometimes overlooked) that springs to mind.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Only EA stuff i like currently is Valve stuff. Thats it, I hate sports games, all their good for is clogging up used game stores selves.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

EA is showing signs of desperation with this asshatery.

See, they make big sellers but they pump an obscene amount of money into almost everything they release. They spend more then they make, so now they've resorted to badmouthing the competition to make their product look better. Didn't work. Their WoW killer has been quite a failure compared to the hopes they had for it and their stock crashed down for a chunk of time when they made it F2P, they keep resorting to outdated business models, they pump out almost nothing but Sims and FPSes because it's all they have that has a change of making back enough money for some sort of profit and every dirty business practice that goes on in the industry today has been done by EA at least a few times each. They're incompetent dolts who have no idea how to run a business or farm consumer loyalty.

Madden can only support you for so long, eventually you need a solid fanbase and they never bothered to make one. Capcom is still around because they figured out that the fighting tourney scene is solid support, Sega is (barely) still around because they finally got the modern Sonic formula down and made that already strong fanbase stronger with more quality titles and Nintendo bases its entire existence on the strength of its established series. They get that fans are important but EA doesn't. Fuck, I think even Activision figured out fans are important with CoD, but I'm not sure on that front.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JKDarkside For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

i dpnt think the guy who made sims is even with ea anymore lol

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
    EA is showing signs of desperation with this asshatery.

See, they make big sellers but they pump an obscene amount of money into almost everything they release. They spend more then they make, so now they've resorted to badmouthing the competition to make their product look better. Didn't work. Their WoW killer has been quite a failure compared to the hopes they had for it and their stock crashed down for a chunk of time when they made it F2P, they keep resorting to outdated business models, they pump out almost nothing but Sims and FPSes because it's all they have that has a change of making back enough money for some sort of profit and every dirty business practice that goes on in the industry today has been done by EA at least a few times each. They're incompetent dolts who have no idea how to run a business or farm consumer loyalty.

Madden can only support you for so long, eventually you need a solid fanbase and they never bothered to make one. Capcom is still around because they figured out that the fighting tourney scene is solid support, Sega is (barely) still around because they finally got the modern Sonic formula down and made that already strong fanbase stronger with more quality titles and Nintendo bases its entire existence on the strength of its established series. They get that fans are important but EA doesn't. Fuck, I think even Activision figured out fans are important with CoD, but I'm not sure on that front.
    Madden can support them forever.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.