Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever feel after beating a game...

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Do you ever feel after beating a game...

Depressed?

Does anyone suffer from P.G.D. (or Post Gaming Depression ) You just kinda wish the game could go on after beating it. Whether or not you're a completionist, I mean yeah you could run around picking up gamer points and trophy's ad nauseum but it's no quite the same as the "main" game. This isn't necessarily a favorite thread where you post Oh I love X game and wish it never ended sort of deal. More the feeling you get afterwards because I'm such a deep guy.. (heh coke flew outta my nose from laughing when I typed that last bit! )

For example after I had finished a GTA game the other day I was all like awwwww after having beaten it and wished there were a few more missions to do. Yeah I'm sure I could drive around and pick up some missing snapshots or do taxi missions but it's not the same. And I was unhappy. I actually didn't get into anything for a few days after that other than some basic stuff like card games and shit. Sure I had that wonderful sense of "hey I beat the game yayyyy" but it soon dissolved into poo "now what?"

So yeah thoughts and junk.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zaladane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I've gotten this way with a few games. Once I get into the trophy grind (after beating the main game once) it's no longer as enjoyable of an experience. I've gotten as attached to the characters as I'm going to get, and the world starts to feel repetitive after the second or third playthrough when you're trying to find all of the little things.

Most noticable for me were Dragon's Dogma and Alice: Madness Returns. With Dogma, it didn't really set in until I got the , but I was kind of sad after that. Poured a lot of hours into that game and had a lot of fun, and was really attached to my character. I was sad that there really wasn't much else for me to accomplish anymore.

With Alice, the story was fantastic, especially the ending, and playing through again it just lost some of the magic, mainly because I knew everything that was going to happen now. I was very sad when I was done that game.

It's very typical of me to take a couple days off from playing a game once I it. Towards the end I'm usually suffering from a pretty bad burnout on gaming and need to focus on something else so I don't go insane.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    Depressed?

Does anyone suffer from P.G.D. (or Post Gaming Depression ) You just kinda wish the game could go on after beating it. Whether or not you're a completionist, I mean yeah you could run around picking up gamer points and trophy's ad nauseum but it's no quite the same as the "main" game. This isn't necessarily a favorite thread where you post Oh I love X game and wish it never ended sort of deal. More the feeling you get afterwards because I'm such a deep guy.. (heh coke flew outta my nose from laughing when I typed that last bit! )

For example after I had finished a GTA game the other day I was all like awwwww after having beaten it and wished there were a few more missions to do. Yeah I'm sure I could drive around and pick up some missing snapshots or do taxi missions but it's not the same. And I was unhappy. I actually didn't get into anything for a few days after that other than some basic stuff like card games and shit. Sure I had that wonderful sense of "hey I beat the game yayyyy" but it soon dissolved into poo "now what?"

So yeah thoughts and junk.
    I somehow always feel that way with adventure themed games.
    I play through the story, hook, line and sinker. I play for hours on end (praising what a fun time I'm having) then I have to fight the last boss. I usually get a bit sad around this part, I know I will beat the boss, there will be a somewhat good ending, then it's over.
    I sit there, thinking about playing it again, but it'll never feel the same, so I get even more sad.

It's a little disappointing for the cool down to all the excitement, but then I realize if I loved it that much, the game had to be good.

"I am... Sheik. One of the last of the Sheikah tribe..."

Thanks

I've noticed that sometimes I'll do everything that I can to postpone the "end" of a game. Of course, that's only if I've truly enjoyed the journey up to that point. Oh, I rarely replay a game after I feel that I've "finished" it, though there are a few exceptions.

As for achievements and trophies--I only go after those if (again) I really enjoy the experience, or I'm just killing time.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Usually only happens when I go for all the endings and bonus content. Fortunately Disgaea 4 never ends, the first Disgaea pretty much does and I was very sad face when that happened. Kind of happened with Mana Khemia as well. I got all the endings and cleared the bonus dungeon 100% and it took so long I kind of had an empty feeling afterwards.

Also Shenmue is a bit different but I think it falls into this category as well. By the time I played the games the franchise was dead. So I was playing the games basically knowing the story didn't complete but it was still a shitty feeling after I beat the 2nd one and knowing I would never see the end of Ryo's saga.

There are several RPGs that I wish had a Seraphic Gate (Valkyrie Profile) type of after dungeon.

Thanks
    EP Points

Happened to me as well with some of my all-time favorite RPGs, like FFXII, Xenoblade or Shadow Hearts 2. Especially Shadow Hearts 2. Man, I wished that game could go on forever.

But with most longer games, I usually just feel satisfied more than anything else. Sure, I love the shit out of them while playing, but after spending so many hours with them, it's nice to have some sort of closure, to be able to put a period at the end of a long journey, so to speak. So strangely enough, I don't get PGD ( ) as often as one would expect.

Thanks
    EP Points

I love Burnout 3, but I end up beating the most difficult races and then all that's left are crash events; which I don't enjoy as much.

Thanks
    EP Points

thats happened on a number of games, usually real good ones that end up fairly intesne towards the end. it always leaves me wanting more and sometimes thinking the game was way too short. imo some games like tales of innocence for nds are too short, especially after i looked at the strategy guide on gamefaqs.com, i've seen longer snes RPGs

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah, I usually try to prolong the game. Especially when I play a RPG. I avoided fighting Lavos till the very end because I didn't want the game to end.

Thanks
    EP Points

Only after Mass Effect 3, I was expecting so much more for the ending

Thanks

I die a little inside at the full completion of many of the Castlevania games....

Thanks
    EP Points

It depends on the game. Most of the time, I feel satisfied that I beat game. Especially if it was hard. However with many newer games, they tend to be on the short side and can be beaten in a short amount of time. So I get left with something that dosen't feel quite right.

Thanks

A long time without gaming (I'm trying back to this world...)...

But I remember of Phantasy Star III; Parasite Eve 2 and Front Mission 3 (after more than 115 hours)...

I remember sensations like depressed, but happy too at the same time, it's kind odd.
    I feel something like this too at the end of some animes and movies. Maybe be so many feelings, that brain is placed in a "now loading" like status. =|

Cheers.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, this is an interesting topic. I used to feel this way for many games, but I found the cure. I decide on what I'm going to play next before I finish the one I'm currently playing. This way, the depression lasts about a few seconds before you get all hyped up for the next game you're going to play. (If you've chosen the next one wisely )

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks

I get happy mostly, but sad that the journey is over. But the best games like the first 3 Spyro games I can play over and over again in a weekend and relive it and love it still like I did a decade ago.