Thread: My modded PS2 doesn't seem to read games anymore

Thanks

Default My modded PS2 doesn't seem to read games anymore

My PS2 can read my old games just fine, but it can't seem to read my new burned games. It did read it though, but only for a split second, then the "Reading Disc" just disappears. Is it a laser problem? Or is it a media problem? Because I recently started using Sony DVD+RWs.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Don't use DVD+RW's.
    Sony or otherwise

Thanks

So, which DVD is best for burning PS2 games?

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, you said your old games work ok.......so why not use whatever brand they are?

As for what brand is the best, I guess Taiyo Yuden.
    But that media isn't cheap compared to others

Also: they never made DVD+R DL afaik.

Thanks

Actually, I also used DVD+RW for my old games. It's weird that they work while the new ones don't.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by n00bofdestiny View Post
    Actually, I also used DVD+RW for my old games. It's weird that they work while the new ones don't.
    Recycle one of those old discs and see if you can get a new burn to work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 124 Posts
    EP Points

DVD+RW will either not work or work once, they're not meant for those kinds of burns. Rewritable discs are only temporary (like one use per burn) even if you can get them working, I'd go w/ what deadlegion says and get some Yudens. Otherwise you can get some Verbatims (recordable preferrably), they are a great alternative and easy to find @ local stores, much better than memorex and other cheap media.
    My inbox IS NOT A REQUEST BOX , if you want to make requests maybe do it here? Someone w/ working links might help you there (I don't do requests obviously, however, feel free to let me know if a DLC file doesn't work* and needs an update ) *ex:"container error"

How to use DLC files? Use Jdownloader
    Still looking for PS2 undubs by any chance? Try searching "PS2 undub project 2.6" @ google, it's hard to miss and you can maybe find most of em in a single search/post .

Thanks

I see, so it's the DVD+RWs that's the problem. I thought they work exactly the same as DVD+Rs.

Anyway, thanks for your help, guys!

Thanks
    EP Points

If you get Verbatim make sure they're not made in India. Try to get Singapore Verbatim's.
    And avoid cheap crappy TDK (CMC).

I know Memorex/Ritek are cheap and many people avoid them.......but I've used them for PS2/Xbox/Wii for a long time with no major issues. Just a couple of dud discs every 100.
    All my games are backed up as images on ext HDD in case of media failure anyway
    Last edited by deadlegion; 28th-July-2012 at 17:01.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    I know Memorex/Ritek are cheap and many people avoid them.......but I've used them for PS2/Xbox/Wii for a long time with no major issues. Just a couple of dud discs every 100.
    All my games are backed up as images on ext HDD in case of media failure anyway
    Fer real? I had problems w/ burning PS2 games using memorex, but I guess it depends on the game being burnt (I got alot of FMV lag burning Xenosaga to their dual layers, but it could just be me). Ritek's stuff was ok for me though , I've never had any probs w/ those .

Anyways yeah, HDD does make media obsolete once you get one for your consoles, it's makes the process so much easier
    Last edited by Destrudo; 28th-July-2012 at 17:32.
    My inbox IS NOT A REQUEST BOX , if you want to make requests maybe do it here? Someone w/ working links might help you there (I don't do requests obviously, however, feel free to let me know if a DLC file doesn't work* and needs an update ) *ex:"container error"

Still looking for PS2 undubs by any chance? Try searching "PS2 undub project 2.6" @ google, it's hard to miss and you can maybe find most of em in a single search/post .

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Destrudo View Post
    Fer real? I had problems w/ burning memorex for PS2 games, but I guess it depends on the game being burnt (I got alot of FMV lag burning Xenosaga to their dual layers, but it could just be me). Ritek's stuff was ok for me though , I've never had any probs w/ those .

Anyways yeah, HDD does make media obsolete once you get one for your consoles, it's makes the process so much easier
    The Memorex's you used may have been CMC manufacture, or possibly Indian (Moser Baer maybe?...although I've never seen these).
    Memorex I've always used are actually Ritek (Taiwan).
    I've had a reliable local source for them for years

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    The Memorex's you used may have been CMC manufacture, or possibly Indian (Moser Baer maybe?...although I've never seen these).
    Memorex I've always used are actually Ritek (Taiwan).
    I've had a reliable local source for them for years
    Yeah probably, I heard some manufacturers use some crappy dye on their products. I just stick w/ Verbatim now since I can get 'em fairly cheap and also made in Taiwan apparently . (where I'm from @ least)

Thanks
    EP Points

I've always had better luck using standard Memorex or Sony DVD-Rs with my modded PS2. For some strange reason the PS2 has a difficult time reading DVD+RWs and DVD+Rs . Here is one thing that I have noticed, though: some of the earlier PS2 games will work on DVD+RWs and DVD+Rs, but later releases will not. I have no idea why. It's a strange dilemma that doesn't seem to have a single answer.
    Last edited by NeoGeoGamer74; 28th-July-2012 at 18:39.

Thanks
    EP Points

I will agree with NeoGeoGamer74. I use DVD-R (minus R) for PS2 and Wii backups, and they boot up beautifully, with no problems.

If you want to transfer your old games from the DVD+R's and +RW's, just rip them to .iso files with IMGburn and burn them back to DVD-R's. In the long run, you'll be much more satisfied.
    *If my post was helpful, click the star in the lower left corner of it to say "Thanks".
    *My username will unlock my uploads, if a password is needed.
    *Games, Guitars, or Girls... choose any two.