Thread: Game Soundtracks

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default Game Soundtracks

I didn't put favorite in the title because I know how you all feel about that.

Still, I just felt like talking about videogame scores. What games do you think ave the best overall scores, for a singular style or maybe because they have a ton of variety to them? Not asking for a favorite track, I mean best overall score. Be detailed about why, this is a topic for discussion.

Personally, I'm blown away by the Anarchy Reigns score. There's a lot more to it than the MadWorld score, which was mainly raps about how Jack kills people. There's the incredibly silly They Came From Underground, the incredibly harsh Find You, Leo's very different theme Testin' Me and a ton of different styles among all the different tracks.

Favorites among them would be the earlier mentioned They Came From Underground and Find You, along with Ruthless, I Know U Want Me, Venom and Baron's Days of Old.

Spoiler warning:

Spoiler warning:

Spoiler warning:

Spoiler warning:

Spoiler warning:

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Smile

Anything from the Ys games. Back when I was playing Ys Book I & II on my Turbo Duo, it was the CD music and the voice-acted parts that really separated the game from the RPG's released for the Sega and Nintendo consoles of that era.

Spoiler warning:

Spoiler warning:

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Ah, I totally forgot to reply to this.

I generally like anything by Hitoshi Sakimoto, so it'd be hard to pinpoint only one of the games he's worked on. His works might not be as catchy as that of certain other composers, however, in my eyes he creates some truly beautiful pieces of music that can easily be listened to on their own without having any knowledge of the game in question. In any discussion where VG music is treated as inferior compared to "proper" music, he's the guy to be brought up as a brilliant example that VG scores do matter.

I want to say Xenoblade as well, despite being somewhat of a mixed bag. It has a number of rather boring tracks and a number of amazing ones, but overall, I'd say the positives far outweigh all the flaws the soundtrack might have. I'm not sure what it is about this soundtrack, but the moment some of the better tracks came up during gameplay, it was magic. It might sound weird but I was instantly reminded of RPGs from the PSX era, most notably Chrono Cross - which isn't much of a coincidence, if you look up the composers for both games.

I'm also somewhat in love with the soundtrack of Sora no Kiseki/Trails in the Sky because it is some of the catchiest shit I've had the pleasure of listening to.

Thanks
    EP Points

I like the soundtrack to Chrono Trigger. Each song conveys the emotion of the story. It draws you in and sets the mood for each scene.
    Ocarina of time. I listen to the soundtrack all the time.
    Majora's mask- This soundtrack is darker and the sense of dread builds as the game goes on.
    The Final Fantasy games. One of my favs is the victory music after a battle. The later games' music has emotional depth and helps to move the story along.
    Super mario. From the first one to Mario 64.

Thanks
    EP Points

I really enjoy the Donkey Kong Country soundtrack. I feel that the songs in the game are themed perfectly with the design and feel of the levels.
    The music gives you the emotional highs and lows that are built around your experience within the game.

If I had to choose overall enjoyment of a game's soundtrack (emotionally charged within the game/levels theme) I would have to go with the Shadowgate and Shadowgate 64 Trials of the Four Towers OST's. The atmosphere within those two games is on par with the atmosphere in Amnesia The Dark Descent. Each song represents a choice the player has made willingly or unknowingly in the storyline, and the story is relayed in a very dark manner.

Shadowgate 64 Tower of Lakmir theme
    Spoiler warning:
    Last edited by lordrand11; 9th-August-2012 at 16:44.
    The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

- James Oliver Rigney Jr. aka Robert Jordan (God rest his Soul.) 10-17-1948 to 09-16-2007

Thanks

My favorite game soundtrack would be The World Ends with You OST. I like all of the songs on there, especially Twister. It's like a rap.

Thanks

For me I don't know if it gets any better than Volcano Valley Act 2 from Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis).

Say what you will about the game, but this track is just plain chill as hell.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Hello there,
    Does someone have a good suggestion for radio of game soundtracks?

Cheers.