Thread: PS3 data transfer (Think I'm being screwed over)

Pickles is offline dagnabbit! These dad-gum kids and their new-fangled gizzy-moes!
    Thanks

Default PS3 data transfer (Think I'm being screwed over)

So I get a text off a guy today (He download new vegas dlc off my account a few months ago) and he tells me he needs to give him my password for my psn account, because he has bought a new ps3 and is trying to do a data transfer. Here is the message I received.

"no man its not for that at all, we are tryin to move all bryans data from his old ps3 to the new one we bought but because of the dlc we got from you your account is the only one on that so we need your password to deactivate the device and start the transfer"

Now he's not a stranger, I lived with him for a year, but he is a massive liar and user. I just wanna be sure he's trying to fuck me over (somehow) before I tell him to go fuck himself.

Anyone know about it?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pickles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Without accessing your account again he won't be able to deactivate your account in the old PS3. However, you can deactivate all the consoles that share your account via the qriocity website (it can be done once every 6 months). EDIT: all the accounts are deactivated at the same time, you can't select which ones to deactivate.

If you don't give him your password he still should be able to transfer all the data but I don't think he'll be able to play whatever you shared with him anymore unless he-recreates your account in the new PS3 (deactivating his old console would still be required).

When did you buy said content, after or before the changes Sony made limiting the shared accounts from 5 to 2?
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 25th-July-2012 at 21:08.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cookie Monster For This Useful Post:

Pickles is offline dagnabbit! These dad-gum kids and their new-fangled gizzy-moes!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Without accessing your account again he won't be able to deactivate your account in the old PS3. However, you can deactivate all the consoles that share your account via the qriocity website (it can be done once every 6 months). EDIT: all the accounts are deactivated at the same time, you can't select which ones to deactivate.

If you don't give him your password he still should be able to transfer all the data but I don't think he'll be able to play whatever you shared with him anymore unless he-recreates your account in the new PS3 (deactivating his old console would still be required).

When did you buy said content, after or before the changes Sony made limiting the shared accounts from 5 to 2?
    I honestly don't know, I got each dlc the day it came out. He didn't buy it from me though so I don't really care if he can access it again.

If I deactivate everything via that website, will it effect my own console/profile in a negative way?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I honestly don't know, I got each dlc the day it came out. He didn't buy it from me though so I don't really care if he can access it again.

If I deactivate everything via that website, will it effect my own console/profile in a negative way?
    Can't recall when they were released.. EDIT: just checked the dates, none of the New Vegas DLC should be affected (if you bought them when they were released), should be possible to share them 5 times.

Am I right in assuming you are in the states and he is in Ireland? If so, I'd just wait, use the website as the last resort and tell him you'll sort it out once you are back home.

If you use the website deactivation you'll deactivate your own console. Anyone aside from you knows your password?
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 25th-July-2012 at 21:23.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cookie Monster For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Can't recall when they were released.. EDIT: just checked the dates, none of the New Vegas DLC should be affected (if you bought them when they were released), should be possible to share them 5 times.

Am I right in assuming you are in the states and he is in Ireland? If so, I'd just wait, use the website as the last resort and tell him you'll sort it out once you are back home.

If you use the website deactivation you'll deactivate your own console. Anyone aside from you knows your password?
    Other than myself, I don't think so. Yeah I'll just wait till I'm back. Thanks cookie!

EDIT: Now that I think about it Dan knows it.

Thanks
    EP Points

I asked it cos if you deactivate all the consoles via web, for the content that only can be shared twice, the first 2 consoles activating your account are the ones that will be able to use it. If more than one person knows your password and re-activate your account before you can do it yourself in yours, since you aren't at home, you'd have to ask them to deactivate it or wait 6 months before being able to deactivate all of them again :/

Thanks

I lived with him for a year
    So you don't owe him anything. Don't waste your time. If he needs the DLC that badly he'll buy it himself.

Laguna: "Chill man, it's cool." -- Youtube

Thanks

My cousin had a similar question, and I stumbled upon this thread--thanks, guys. Good luck, Gizmo. Personally, I wouldn't entrust anyone with my account details, but that's your call.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Other than myself, I don't think so. Yeah I'll just wait till I'm back. Thanks cookie!

EDIT: Now that I think about it Dan knows it.
    And have no intentions of doing anything with it.