Thread: [Nintendo SNES][ROM SET] rare homebrew SNES roms*

Thanks
    EP Points

Default [Nintendo SNES][ROM SET] rare homebrew SNES roms*

Download link to the zip file containing these ROMs is Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. The files in here are:
    Digimon Adventure (Unl).sfc
    Pocket Monsters (Unl) (cracked).sfc
    Pokemon Gold & Silver (Unl).sfc
    readme.txt

And by the way this Pokemon Gold & Silver is VERY rare and though I've seen Youtube vids of people playing it, only like one or two people have such vids. That's because they have the actual unlicensed cartridges (of which only a few were actually released from my understanding). In fact until just recently, nobody has even ripped it to a ROM file (so rare that everyone I talked to on Youtube, which was about a year ago, was afraid to rip it with a copier cause they thought it might damage this uber rare cart, even after I pointed them to a site that had such SNES game ripper devices). So it was just last week that a copy of it finally appeared online. I quickly downloaded it, as well as the other couple ROMs that were present on the same webpage. All 3 of these roms are in this zip file (see above list for ROM file names).

Rather than writing any further a separate description of all of the content of the zip file, I'm just gonna post a copy of the text in the readme file I made (same one that's in the zip file). This tells everything about the ROMs.

Quote Originally Posted by readme.txt file
    Unl means unlicensed, as in these games were never licensed by Nintendo. In otherwords, they are homebrew games. Also from what I understand someone actually made real cartrdiges of these games (how it was done I have no clue becuase they'd need a CIC chip, that Nintendo would only send to licensed game makers).
    They are:
    Digimon Advanture
    Pocket Monsters
    Pokemon Gold & Silver

Digimon Adventure is obviously based on Digimon. The other 2 are obviously based on Pokemon (which is actually short for Pocket Monsters). The ROM entitled Pocket Monsters is the same one that has the scrolling title screen that everyone knows about. However this one is different because it actually starts the game. Apparantly this one had been copyprotected by the homebrewers (LOL, cause thit isn't even have an official licensed game). Thus this copy that actually works (and doesn't have scrollig title due to copy protection) is in fact a cracked copy. Thus I included this fact in the file name. Supposedly the Pokemon Gold & Silver game was also copyprotected, and supposedly the copy that I have that actually runs is cracked. However it's the ONLY copy of this game I have found on the internet. I have a file comparitor program that does a binary comparison on files. Every copy of this ROM is the same, so I have no proof that there in fact has ever been a previous "uncracked" version of it, despite claims I've read online that this is a "cracked" version. Therefore I am not going to include the descriptor "(cracked)" on the Pokemon Gold & Silver ROM file until I have proof that a protected version exists, either through trying out a copy of an original rip and personally verifying that it is copyprotecte, or from seeing screencaps online or youtube videos of the copyprotection mechanism in action.

The files are all without a copier header and thus have the file extension .sfc (for Super Famicom, the Japanese name of the SNES) rather than SMC or FIG or SWC which are named after the copiers Super Magicom, Pro Fighter, and Super Wildcard.

Here's some screencaps of me playing the games in SNES9x
    Digimon Adventure:

Pocket Monsters:

Last edited by The Demon; 22nd-July-2012 at 10:56. Reason: coding link

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Videogamer555 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Pokemon Gold & Silver:

(ps: before you ask why in the PMG&S game I took so much damage fighting the psyduck as evidenced by the sudden loss of many heart symbols, the answer is I was trying to keep 2 sets of keys in my mind, one is the game controls, and the other is the snes9x screencap hotkey, and I had to position my hands in such a way as to easilly access both game controlls and hotkey for sceencap, which ended up having my hands not ideal suited for either playing or screencaping, thus the massive damage to me. LOL)