Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dont know what to do.

Thanks

Cookie is right, don't get caught in any gaming trends! find a title that you really enjoyed and do a little research around it and you'll find something else that will bring back the buzz. I lost interest for many years because I was sick of re-churned titles, then I thought why simply wait for new titles to be released and hope they live up to expectation? Why not look backwards at some games I've missed and can devote a serious amount of time to. It was in doing this I discovered the wonder that is Grim Fandango (PC), Terranigma (SNES) and Benefactor (Amiga), three games that are true classics and fresh every time you play them, not like this CoD crap and Fifa (insert generic hype here).

Relax, you are fretting over something that is easily rectified with a little patience and a bit of individuality

I see things you people wouldnt believe...

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    And yet again, nostalgia strikes back...

I'm afraid no doctor has a cure for sudden attacks of nostalgia.
    But I'll say 3 things: games weren't better back then, you aren't playing the right games for you and, finally, don't play new games just cos other people/your friends are playing them, play the ones you feel like playing, the ones you enjoyed playing, no matter how old they are.
    On "games weren't better back then", I believe this pretty much sums it up;

I'm guilty of it myself; there are very few newer games I enjoy quite as much as I remember enjoying games I played as a kid (or playing those games today). Of course even going back now and playing said games doesn't incite the same feelings they did back then, I imagine due to not being my first exposure to said games/style of games.

Quote Originally Posted by bennett_2009 View Post
    Cookie is right, don't get caught in any gaming trends! find a title that you really enjoyed and do a little research around it and you'll find something else that will bring back the buzz.
    ^Also this. For example, the first Final Fantasy game I remember playing was 7 when I was 11 or 12 years old, followed shortly after by 8 and then later 9 (in that order funny enough), and then later 6, all within a few years. Fast forward 7 years, having long since lost the excitement and wonder felt playing a new final fantasy game, I discover FF5 (in this case, the GBA remake). I don't regret deciding to stick that rom on my PSP; to this day I still regard it as possibly the best in the series (or at least, of the 2D ones).
    Last edited by MaslowK; 17th-July-2012 at 06:06.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    EP Points

Maslow, didn't you you just contradict yourself??? You make a statement about how nostalgia dictates our views on games with the quote "games were better back then", but then you toss out a bit about how Final Fantasy 5 is the best, etc. In case I missed something, this is a RETRO game from "back then", which would mean that said game is better than what we have now, hence the whole better back then.....

If I'm wrong correct me, and I'm not trying to be an ass but your post doesn't make much sense.

In my opinion, it's hard to say whether or not games were better "back then", but there are games that really stand the test of time which is something we can't judge about current games. I believe that games from the early 80's and 90's really pushed creative boundaries due to the limitations that developers were faced with, and some truly great games came out. Nowadays, games have retarded budgets, but creativity is limited by those evil publishers who want to play it safe.

All I'm getting at is while you guys may play the "nostalgia is blinding card", I really think that is a gray area. Look at movies... a movie such as Alien, or the Exorcist, or even Star Wars is unparalleled. They didn't come out in "our" generation, but no matter how "dated" they are, they broke the mold and are still better than their contemporaries any day of the week.

Thanks
    EP Points

This generation has lasted way too long. It should have ended two years ago. We would have all kinds of new, innovative stuff to play with if that was the case. Clones have existed in all gaming history, but as a generation stretches, they become far more, developers and publishers alike become more and more vary of innovation. It's what happened in the Atari 2600 days. I imagine gamers back then felt exactly like our OP here.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaFave View Post
    Maslow, didn't you you just contradict yourself??? You make a statement about how nostalgia dictates our views on games with the quote "games were better back then", but then you toss out a bit about how Final Fantasy 5 is the best, etc. In case I missed something, this is a RETRO game from "back then", which would mean that said game is better than what we have now, hence the whole better back then.....
    Since the first Final Fantasy games I played were the 3D ones, playing the 2D ones later (FF5 most recently), nostalgia doesn't necessarily come into play in this case. You'll also note I mentioned I found it to be the best, at least, of the 2D series, which doesn't bring any of the recent titles into play in this particular judgement.

In any case my main point was that, regardless of when a game was made, whether it's considered the "best" in its genre is heavily dependent on the person playing it, and is often heavily influenced by nostalgia. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Last edited by MaslowK; 18th-July-2012 at 23:26.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by gezegond View Post
    This generation has lasted way too long. It should have ended two years ago. We would have all kinds of new, innovative stuff to play with if that was the case. Clones have existed in all gaming history, but as a generation stretches, they become far more, developers and publishers alike become more and more vary of innovation. It's what happened in the Atari 2600 days. I imagine gamers back then felt exactly like our OP here.
    You make a good point. Although there are a few reasons why this generation lasted longer. I know one is that the main developers wanted their systems to last longer this generation. I remember Sony saying they wanted the PS3 to be in the run for at least 10 years. If it came out in '06 and its '12 now, six years have gone by, so there are some years left, if this holds true. Again, this isn't the only reason this generation has lasted so long, but I would take it as one reason. The economy turning to crap around the world could also be another reason. I know I'm getting a bit political here, but I'm just giving a couple reasons on why this generation has lasted so long. The Wii U will be out this winter or holiday season if all goes well. We'll see if that lives up to anything.

As for what this thread is all about. I have found myself losing interest in games off and on. I think its just part of ageing. I also agree with some others on here, that this generation has been nothing but sequels, but eh, there have been some good games this generation.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ProUser View Post
    When I play online its even worst, i rage for even the smallest thing.
    I read in Scientific American Mind recently about how depression differs between sexes. This sounds dead-on for male depression, which seems to be marked by more irritability and "short fuse". Lack of interest in gaming might be a sign if it extends to other areas. It might be worth seeking counseling.

If depression is not what ails you, it might be time for a new hobby, like Girlfriends. They can be a great time, just remember to be safe.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    EP Points

This happens to me sometimes. When I get bored/burned out on something, I focus on a new project. Perhaps you should take a break from gaming. You could be depressed and if you are, you should see a doctor.

Thanks
    EP Points

i tend to enjoy most newer games over older ones, i LIKE old games but some i played when i was little like pokemon i get bored as all hell playing

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well with me I get really addicted to one game and then the next. But I like to keep everything I have and all my games and stuff.
    I usually go through periods of time where I do nothing put play games and then I do more self-fulfilling things to take a break.
    It seems like you aren't satisfied so just try to find something that works for you.

A sandpaper factory in Buenos Aires Argentina
    Thanks

Maybe you lost interest on gaming,it is like me,I actually play Genesis,SNES and PS1 classics,I have no fun in modern games(except GTA series and Heavy Rain)

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ProUser View Post
    This is so complicated, i mean i wish Games nowdays were like it was on PSX, PS2 time. So much awesome games, now the games you dont really enjoy, maybe its just me i dont know. I get bored and frusturated so easily with the recent games and I wasnt like this before, all of the sudden im not in the mood to play games or even maybe i lost the interest in games (Which i dont want to happen cause i always loved games).
    welcome to my world after the xbox360/etc. generation began, as for the lack of interest, that'd be when i burn out on games which is not pleasant imo considering the majority of my time is gaming or reading :/

Maybe you lost interest on gaming,it is like me,I actually play Genesis,SNES and PS1 classics,I have no fun in modern games(except GTA series and Heavy Rain)
    same here mostly dino, the newer games just don't seem the same to me

Thanks

The game called real life calls to us all eventually. Exercise, get laid, accomplish something outside of gaming and then come back. You'll see that you are tired enough to sit down and enjoy almost any game you desire after work.

Thanks

You know- I just realized yesterday that if I took all the time I spent training ranged and archery in MMOs and Skyrim and other games and spent it on training in archery in real life... I would be a dang good archer!
    Physical activites and manual labor always suck at the time but always very satisfying...

To the point in mind, Do you have any other hobbies than video-games? Learn to play Magic the Gathering? Go to the local game store and join a Dungeons and Dragons group? Buy a gun and go shooting?
    I get burned out on videogames every once in a while, and if I go do something else that I like, (like shooting) it makes me want to shoot things other than bottles and targets... Then comes the video games! an endless cycle!
    "Death solves all problems: no man, no problem."
    -Joseph Stalin

Thanks

In all honesty i believe i recently had this problem but then i suddenly had an intense sense of forced nostalgia and now i just cant stop playing video games because i missed the old days so badly

maybe it'll just come back to you somehow, whether you force it to or not

Rewardsgaming.net