Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anyone ever been this bothered by a game before?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default anyone ever been this bothered by a game before?

for me, i just can't handle the final region of minecraft. "The End"

i get that i don't like the dark, i've known that for years but this place... everytime i try going there i just want to leave the game ASAP as soon as i enter the map, that dark, endless void just scares the heck outta me :/ and so even across several mods/texture packs, i've only ever beaten the boss there maybe 5-10 times over the course of couple years.

i've never had a game leave me so flustered until that, never, not once has any other game ever bothered me as much as that map (might not be as bad if it weren't a freaking seemingly endless void of pure darkness devoid of nearly all life while your standing on this 1 tiny spec of land). i just can't stand the thought of going to that map, so i'm primarily trapped on the normal and underworld maps with no way of getting the last achievements when i get to where i need them (at the end of the fairly short achievement list).

actually of the texture pack i tried, vanilla mode: beat ender dragon before... at some point. a mlp:fim themed pack, beat it i think, the creator(s) of the pack made the ender dragon look like nightmare moon as far as the color scheme, and my most recent addition, a texture pack themed after the genesis sonic the hedgehog games... i don't even know or want to know what was in the end, all i saw before leaving was either a graphical error (i think the boss was stuck under the island at least partly) or some giant long black/grey/white tentacle. i think this is one game i'm just going to give up on and move back to terraria and similar games :/

Thanks
    EP Points

Yep, been there myself with a few games. I don't play Majora's Mask anymore after the first time beating it because of the bit with the zora eggs in the sea trench with the eels ;/ anything with deep dark depths and eels scares the hell out of me. Same goes for Mario 64's Jolly Roger Bay and the area in Oblivion with the giant slaughterfish to name a few.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    EP Points

if they could make horror games that effectively then that genre would scare the heck out of everyone which would probably be good given the genres name afterall, but seeing as i'm now thinking of giving up on minecraft, i think this other game (i think its a sequel to terraria in a way) http://playstarbound.com/ will be my next game of that type and really, these kinds of games are some of the few sandbox type games i really enjoy. sucks about the end in minecraft for me but they shouldn't have made it so darn creepy/scary

Thanks

I don't mean to offend either of you, but is there something I'm not getting? How old are the two of you? Sure I've been scared by a game when I was younger and there are some levels I didn't like but it never stopped me playing the game. Maybe you're making these fears out to be bigger than they are? If your fears are so bad you can't even play a video game involving it you should get help

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, I have gotten scared by games before, but i enjoyed it and continued playing.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks

Um...Minecraft has an end? Shouldn't they finish the beginning and middle before they give it an ending?

But anyway--I've been creeped out by games, and even had some oops-I-crapped-my-pants moments, but only with pseudorealistic games--not cartoony sandbox titles. The only time that something in MC ever made me jump was when a spider suddenly spawned and hissed as I was adjusting my speaker volume. There's nothing worthy of true fear in the warm and fuzzy world of MC. No, I haven't played it for a long time, but this ending sequence sounds like it's in line with the rest of the cheese. I think that the power of imagination can fill in the blanks or even invent objects of fear where normally there are none to be found.
    Creators of horror stories count on it.

Thanks
    EP Points

disturbia freaked me out a bit... heart pumpin... jumpin when the crazy creatures jumped out... then i beat them with my flashlight and was ok again...

i guess thats the only game that makes myheart hurt after playing... but then again... it wouldnt be called disturbia if it wernt supposed to be disturbing...

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by cylentstorm View Post
    Um...Minecraft has an end? Shouldn't they finish the beginning and middle before they give it an ending?
    It's a game about mining and building, there's not much you can do with that premise unless you're willing to be somewhat silly (Your objective is to be a Master Miner and collect all the diamonds. Gotta catch em all!).

Quote Originally Posted by Manabu View Post
    I don't mean to offend either of you, but is there something I'm not getting? How old are the two of you? Sure I've been scared by a game when I was younger and there are some levels I didn't like but it never stopped me playing the game. Maybe you're making these fears out to be bigger than they are? If your fears are so bad you can't even play a video game involving it you should get help
    Ah, being afraid of certain stuff is fine as long as it does not prevent you from living a normal life. Like MaslowK, I just don't like being in deep water areas with huge monsters swimming around / under me but it's not like that situation comes up often in my life.

MaslowK, you should play Shadow of the Colossus, you'd love the Hydrus and Pelagia fights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEYzN1vP988

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no3ktYP5BdU

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Manabu View Post
    If your fears are so bad you can't even play a video game involving it you should get help
    Yep, you're clearly a bigger man than the rest of us broskie. Cool beans.

Quote Originally Posted by Cresset View Post
    MaslowK, you should play Shadow of the Colossus, you'd love the Hydrus and Pelagia fights.
    The Pelagia one doesn't look too bad, can't say I'd enjoy the Hydrus one tho

That said it still doesn't look as bad as the eel bit on majoras mask. Maybe because it's because the Hydrus one looks fairly close to the surface of the water, I dunno.
    Last edited by MaslowK; 5th-July-2012 at 04:39.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    EP Points

In my case, just thinking about Resident Evil makes me shiver...
    I never played the games, but I watched playing perhaps only twice in my whole life, and I had nightmares, even as an adult...

In the end, different people have different reactions. I don't think you should worry about being bothered by the game.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MaslowK View Post
    Yep, you're clearly a bigger man than the rest of us broskie. Cool beans.
    You think? I'm only 5,6 but thanks anyway but in all honestly, I'm sorry you think that's the way I came across. I just can't understand being scared of a game.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well...can you understand being scared of a movie, then? Story? Urban legend?

In the end these are all the same thing as games (made up stuff), but they still manage to scare people. It's normal to be scared by something even if you know it's harmless - that's the entire point behind some of the attractions in amusement parks.

Thanks
    EP Points

Thing is when you immerse yourself in the games they become much more creepy. Silent Hill is a good example.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    EP Points

I don't generally find games very scary. I've jumped at points in games like Project Zero and the earlier Resident Evils, but it's very rare that a game will get under my skin to the level that it plays on my mind long after I've stopped playing. I think my problem is that the direct control I have over the character and the presence of various menus / HUDs etc... makes it really hard for me to forget that I'm playing a game. I always find it difficult to get caught up in the atmosphere of a horror game compared to a book or a movie.

The one really notable exception is Ecco the Dolphin. I had a strange sort of love / hate relationship with the game as a child, and spent many, many hours struggling to finish it. And some combination of the feeling of sheer desolation in the game's levels, the extremely minimalist gameplay mechanics, the beautiful, melancholy score and the fact that I've always been kind of afraid of dark water really got to me. Well, that and the fact that about 2/3 of the way through the game there's a nightmare fuel-ish plot twist where it's revealed that your family who were sucked out of the sea at the beginning of the game were taken by an alien race called the Vortex, who have come to feed off the fruits of the Earth's oceans. And that finishing the game means infiltrating the machine they use to grind up and process sealife into food, complete with its freakishly horrible music, and confronting the Vortex Queen, who pretty much looks like something out of one of HR Giger's nightmares. Lovely stuff for a child of seven. :'D

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Elin View Post
    I think my problem is that the direct control I have over the character and the presence of various menus / HUDs etc... makes it really hard for me to forget that I'm playing a game.
    Well, that's why in games like RE, SH, or Dead Space the devs try to avoid using HUDs.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって