Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching HDDs

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Switching HDDs

Since my netbook's HDD stopped working correctly, I was going to switch it out for the hdd in a laptop that has a broken screen. Will I lose any data if I take it out of the laptop and put it ni the netbook?

Also wondering if there's a way to connect laptop hdd's to the pc via usb or something.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jubilation View Post
    Since my netbook's HDD stopped working correctly, I was going to switch it out for the hdd in a laptop that has a broken screen. Will I lose any data if I take it out of the laptop and put it ni the netbook?
    No.

Also wondering if there's a way to connect laptop hdd's to the pc via usb or something.
    You can get an all-in-one IDE/sata adaptor USB interface kit

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gezegond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Great! Thanks

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You will lose no data but Windows is not going to boot, essentially meaning you may not access the data. You will have to partition off the saved data and install windows in the blank partition so that you can access your files within windows and move it around as you see fit.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazzmarazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Aw, knew there had to be a catch somewhere.

I'll get to it though. Thanks

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    You will lose no data but Windows is not going to boot, essentially meaning you may not access the data.
    Is it different between laptops and desktops? I recall being able to swap a hard disk with windows installed between two desktops and have it boot fine. Granted it would generally have issues trying to install the proper drivers for the new set of hardware (making it impractical), but it would boot at least.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by MaslowK View Post
    Is it different between laptops and desktops? I recall being able to swap a hard disk with windows installed between two desktops and have it boot fine. Granted it would generally have issues trying to install the proper drivers for the new set of hardware (making it impractical), but it would boot at least.
    Its not different from Desktop to laptop necessarily. A windows installation is unique to the particular hardware of any machine. If you have Dell Optiplex 320 for example and swap the HDD to another 320, then it might work. But if you switch the HDD from a Compaq v2000 laptop to an HP something-or-other, then its not going to work properly if at all. Thats coming from Windows 7, so if you have 98 or XP, there is a chance plug-n-play will get it up and running for you. If any programs or registry files are hardware/MAC specific, then you're gonna have to partition.

Give it a try though. If it works, it works; if it doesn't, nothing will be harmed afaik.

Thanks
    EP Points

Can't you just boot it up (at least in safe mode) and use windows online updater to get all the necessary drivers?

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by gezegond View Post
    Can't you just boot it up (at least in safe mode) and use windows online updater to get all the necessary drivers?
    Maybe, but its not all about drivers when switching to another CPU/RAM/MOBO/etc. It may not be possible to boot in Safe mode even.
    I did say though, give it a try. You may be lucky.

Thanks
    EP Points

Alright, if I put my hdd into a different pc and install a different, or even the same os on it to access the files, does this mean I have to reinstall it again if I intend on putting it back in the original pc?
    Last edited by Jubilation; 4th-July-2012 at 22:24.

Thanks
    EP Points

Alright, if I put my hdd into a different pc and install a different, or even the same os on it to access the files, does this mean I have to reinstall it again if I intend on putting it back in the original pc?
    If you install another OS yes, but you can avoid that by dumping an image of your current OS first. If you do that, you can use your image later to restore your previous OS.
    But then again, you can just connect your drive to your PC and it may work. It has always worked for me under XP. If XP didn't work I use Ubuntu to backup my files without needing to install an OS. (Ubuntu runs even without installing)

Edit: I use Norton Ghost to make my images, but some free alternatives exist as well, although I'm not entirely sure how good they are.
    Last edited by gezegond; 4th-July-2012 at 22:51.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks. I've been interested in using clonezilla at first but then it seemed like my previous netbook hdd stopped working so I couldn't use it and I couldn't get it mounted in ubuntu or anything either

Thanks
    EP Points

Also, if you have a shared folder, via an antivirus (such as Kaspersky Safe Run Shared Folder) you won't be capable of accessing the data from those folders, even if both pc's have the same antivirus installed.

Thanks

just boot with knoppix http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html (it boots from a CD) and then you have full access to all data. Knoppix has full ntfs access Or compile an ntfs compatible kernel for your Ubuntu
    just an ordinary gamer grrrl

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mondscheinchen View Post
    Or compile an ntfs compatible kernel for your Ubuntu
    My Ubuntu works great with NTFS, even the older ones I had 4-5 years ago.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって