Thread: Black screening with ePSXe versions 1.6.0 & 1.7.0

Thanks

Default Black screening with ePSXe versions 1.6.0 & 1.7.0

Hey guys. I've recently come back to the emulator scene after I got one of those good old fashioned urges to play an old game (FFIX to be precise) however, my real copy discs are scratched so I tried to download the emulated version from the main site here. However, after following this site's guide by Zorlon: http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...-And-APE-Guide

I'm now stuck with the problem that the window goes black when I try to load the file. I know ePSXe hasn't crashed, because I hit escape and it brings up the default window, but nothing happens... Just black screen, no sound or anything. Anyway, I'm hoping to get some help with this. Here's my system and ePSXe specs:

Computer: Intel Quad Core, each core at 2.83gh, 4 gigs of RAM, Nvidea Geforce GTX 460 video card on a Windows 7 32bit OS.

Rom name: Final Fantasy IX (E) (Disc 1) [SLES-02965]

ePSXe setup: Version 1.7.0, using scph1001 - USA Bios, Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9 set to default 'nice' settings with this configuration:

Spoiler warning:
    Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9
    Author: Pete Bernert
    Card vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
    GFX card: GeForce GTX 460/PCIe/SSE2

Resolution/Color:
    - 640x480 Window mode
    - Internal X resolution: 1
    - Internal Y resolution: 1
    - Keep psx aspect ratio: on
    - No render-to-texture: on

- Filtering: 0
    - Hi-Res textures: 0
    - TexWin pixel shader: off
    - VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
    - FPS limitation: on
    - Frame skipping: off
    - FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
    - Offscreen drawing: 2
    - Framebuffer effects: 3
    - Framebuffer uploads: 1

Misc:
    - Scanlines: off
    - Mdec filter: on
    - Screen filtering: on
    - Shader effects: 0/1
    - Flicker-fix border size: 0
    - GF4/XP crash fix: off
    - Game fixes: off [00000000]

Using standard ePSXe SPU core 1.7.0, ePSXe CDR WNT/W2K core 1.7.0 for the CDrom settings. I've un-ecm'ed the game, mounted the image with Daemon Tools Lite and attempted to run the game both from the mounted drive and from the separately downloaded .cue file itself. I haven't used Monkey's Audio, which is suggested for specific games.

All I get is a black screen. No error message, but no sound or video and just a small picture of a playstation controller in the top right saying 'standard' next to it. Can anyone help me with this please?
    Last edited by Specular; 22nd-June-2012 at 05:48. Reason: forgot to add the emulator version.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, first I should note that while I'm not 100% on this, you may need the european bios to play european versions of the game (denoted by the [E] in the title of the game). I've also heard of certain european versions needing particular fixes to run. Personally I always opt for US versions (denoted by a (U)); I would recommend trying the US version of the game instead.

With that out of the way, whether you choose to use the european bios or get the US version instead, if you still have issues when loading the game using the .cue file, one thing to look at is the .cue file itself. Open it in a text editor (i.e., notepad). It should look like this;

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Where it says FILE, some cues are set up to assume the .bin file is in a specific directory; having it simply say,

FILE "NAMEOFBINFILE.BIN"

tells it to reference the bin file in the same directory as the cue. If yours happens to look different, change it so it looks like this (substituting in the actual name of your .bin file if it doesn't match what I have up there).

If the .cue isn't the issue I would try using a different video plugin; I normally use Pete's D3D DX6 plugin. Granted I have a much lower end computer, but it's always worked well for me.

Here's the settings I would try it on initially;

The only settings I would adjust initially are "Off-Screen drawing" to "Standard" and enabling Special Game Fixes, clicking the "..." button by it and selecting the FF9 related fix in the window that pops up. Also you can choose fullscreen instead of windowed of course. If this configuration works for you (I.e., the game gets at least to the title screen), feel free to adjust the color depth, Texture filtering, resolution etc to get a better picture.

If you don't have the plugin already you can find it here; http://www.pbernert.com/gpupete177.zip

Let me know if any of this helps. Also if anyone else would like to clear up the deal with [E] versions of games for me that'd be great.
    Last edited by MaslowK; 22nd-June-2012 at 07:05.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

Thank you for the suggestions, MaslowK. My .cue file was already thankfully set up perfectly.
    To quote what it says:

FILE "Final Fantasy IX (E) (Disc 1) [SLES-02965].bin" BINARY
    TRACK 01 MODE2/2352
    INDEX 01 00:00:00

And I've tried to download the specified GPU plugins and used the one you mentioned, making the specified changes but still, I click 'Run CDROM' or just try to load the .cue file as an ISO directly and straight to a black screen either way... Is there any chance you might know of something else that could be causing this?

Thanks
    EP Points

With a bit of searching I found this on another forum, confirming my suspicions;

2/ FF9 is indeed copyprotected, if you want to play it on an emu that doesn't support any kind of subchannel reading (SBI is one of them), you must patch your game image files with a PPF patch. You'll have to find one that match your version of the game (since FF are localized in many languages, your must be for PAL Italian version), apply it to each CD and you'll be able to run it.
    That said, I have no idea how one would go about getting around this. However as I've personally never had any issues with copy protection etc using the [U] version of the game I would recommend just trying that instead. Here's a link; http://preview.tinyurl.com/3qglmlg <--- tinyurl'd for convenience.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The Pal-e versions has Libcrypt protection so you need to download the sbi files http://redump.org/disc/2371/ is the first disc youhave to dpwnload the other disc sbi filesw from the same page and use the P.E.Op.S. CDR Version 1.4 so you need to mount your iso using daemon tool or similar programs

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by gladiator (psx datacenter) View Post
    The Pal-e versions has Libcrypt protection so you need to download the sbi files http://redump.org/disc/2371/ is the first disc youhave to dpwnload the other disc sbi filesw from the same page and use the P.E.Op.S. CDR Version 1.4 so you need to mount your iso using daemon tool or similar programs
    Or this. Or just use [U] versions in the future. Just sayin'.

Ty for the clarification though. For the record, does the BIOS file used make a difference between different regioned games?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MaslowK For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks MaslowK. I've actually already tried downloading that [U] version you've linked before, still the same problem. I also remember that ePSXe has a subchannel reading option, and I enabled that too, still with the same result. Same old black screen...

And thanks for the heads up, gladiator... I've also got the SBI file from the guide I linked in my original post, but with the CDROM plugin you suggested, it's not recognizing the virtual drive I used Daemon Tools Lite to create... It's only recognizing my actual DVD drive...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The daemon tools drive you have to use is scsi the dt units are not recognize and for the bios file in epsxe and psx emulators there is no difference i only use one the scph 7502

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gladiator (psx datacenter) For This Useful Post:

Thanks

O_o It's working! YES! Thank you so much gladiator and MaslowK! Woo! I can finally play this game again!! Much <3 for both of you.