Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking ahead with controllers?

Thanks

Default Thinking ahead with controllers?

I want a good controller for my laptop. I play games on the NES, SNES, N64, GBA and NDS. When I play games like Ocarina of Time or Super Mario 64 DS, the keyboard always screws me up in its control layout, so I assume that buying my own controller would help me play these games better.

Thanks

I, too, was pondering this question, just too lazy to post a thread

Keyboards have pros and cons, but ultimately their bulky

basically this comment is a bump, as I have no idea either but am interested in peoples thoughts on the matter

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If you have a PS3 or 360 controller you can use one of them.

Thanks

interesting, really did not know that.

Im looking it up, but if u have a link to explain it that would be nice

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by IcaruStyx View Post
    interesting, really did not know that.

Im looking it up, but if u have a link to explain it that would be nice
    Not really a link, But I'll explain in his place. Here.
    (The PS3 control may require MotionJoy, but don't hold me to that as I've used a 360 control.)
    Wired Game Console Controls (PS3, 360, etc) with USB ports can be scanned and detected in your computer.
    The control is also read by emulators, so you can map the controls yourself. (Give or take some compatibility issues.)
    Hope this helps.

"I am... Sheik. One of the last of the Sheikah tribe..."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sheik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

When looking for a gamepad I could use with my PC at a decent price I ran across this;

http://www.target.com/p/ps3-pro-ex-w...3/-/A-13217525

Picked it up at my local target after reading in a review that it was compatible with windows. Though it has a ridiculously long cord (probably twice the length of a normal wired controllers cord), it worked simply plugging it in; no additional drivers required. While it's supposed to be a PS3 controller the joystick configuration is more reminiscent of the 360 controller (which I prefer anyway), and works great for both 2D and 3D games, even N64 FPS games like Goldeneye. If you have a target in your area or can find this controller somewhere else online I would highly recommend it; it's a great controller for $20.

EDIT: For future readers, the controller I'm referring to is a GENERIC PS3 controller and works without special software; official PS3 controllers may require additional software.
    Last edited by MaslowK; 2nd-July-2012 at 05:51.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MaslowK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

I got a controller at radio shack. It works with my nes, snes, genesis and 64 emulators. It looks like a PS2 controller, and I configured it to each system. I think I paid $14.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

For the vast majority of people using a PS3 controller on their PC, they have to use MotionInJoy. I've heard of people who have gotten it working with it, but I haven't been able to replicate the same feat following their instructions.

For your best bet, if you have a wired 360 controller lying around and are using Windows, you should be able to hook it right up and start playing. If you are going to have to purchase a new controller, I can also recommend the one that Maslow linked. However, depending how flexible you are, I would highly recommend picking up a controller with six buttons on the right instead of four. Something with this type of layout. (Not that exact controller though, since I've never seen anything so ridiculous in my life). It will make your N64 emulation much more pleasant, since you can map it very similar to an actual N64 controller.

Just my two cents. Take it for what it's worth.

Thanks

couldnt get my wireless controller to work - the computer recognizes it with the software download tho.

have to dig around for an old wire controller
    or buy one of those nifty 6-button ones....
    choices, choices.

Thanks

Yeah, the main reason that I want a controller is to play on emulators better. Maslow, have you ever had a problem playing any N64 games (or any game, for that matter) with that controller? I kind of want to spend my money on other, more important things (Dazzle).

Thanks
    EP Points

I can use my PS3 controller with MotionJoy just fine. You can even use the motion sensors although they don't work quite well. Almost all of the consoles you mentioned don't need analog controls, so about any cheap controller might do.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by IcaruStyx View Post
    couldnt get my wireless controller to work - the computer recognizes it with the software download tho.

have to dig around for an old wire controller
    or buy one of those nifty 6-button ones....
    choices, choices.
    Then downlaod and install the drivers yourself. It should of worked. Unless your computer was taking ages to find the drivers on the site?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

PS3 controllers work great, most people just don't want to spend 5 minutes tinkering with settings to get it working though, you have to install a driver, then run a program with the PS3 Button held in twice.

It's not hard.

Thanks

After much thought, I've decided to buy the controller that Maslow linked to (thanks a lot)! However, I have a few more questions if I'm going to follow through with this investment. Can I buy more that one of these controllers to play multiplayer with friends? Can I maybe get something that looks like this, plug four of the wired controllers in and play 4-player games with friends?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Moonkern View Post
    After much thought, I've decided to buy the controller that Maslow linked to (thanks a lot)! However, I have a few more questions if I'm going to follow through with this investment. Can I buy more that one of these controllers to play multiplayer with friends? Can I maybe get something that looks like this, plug four of the wired controllers in and play 4-player games with friends?
    Yeah, that's a USB hub. You can get one if your PC doesn't have enough USB sockets. (But most PCs do, 2 in the front, many more on the back) And I thought you want a controller for the PC? That one seems to be only for PS3. (In case you want to plug it into computer and use Dual Shock 3 drivers on it, they won't work. Only official SONY Dual Shock 3 controllers work with the custom drivers. Even the chinese clones (which look exactly the same) don't work. Anyways, how much you should pay for it completely depends on how much you will be using them. Does your friends meet you at your home a lot? If yes, then it might be worth it. I say get one logitec controller as the main controller you use. They're said to be exceptionally good. (I don't have one) You can also get a wired X360 controller (If you like that layout better) For your friends, you can get cheaper controllers. I have one of these that works great. Or if you won't be playing game that need analog function, cheaper ones exist too. Or you can get something like this, this, or this if you need the analogs.

As I said before, if you already have console controllers, I recommend you to use them as they usually work great, and you won't be paying a lot to get new controllers. Here's a guide for connecting X360 controllers to PC: Wired, and Wireless. Motion Joy has a detailed guide on installing their drivers for Dual Shock 3 on their wiki. And you can use one of these to connect your PS2 controllers to your PC. (I have one, and it works great)

Hope that helps!

EDIT: If you have Wii controllers, they work on PC as well. But your computer has to have bluetooth adapter. If it doesn't you can get a USB to bluetooth adapter) You can also get one of these to connect your Wii Classic Controller directly to PC. (So you won't have to waste battery on Wiimote) (I don't have one)
    Last edited by gezegond; 24th-June-2012 at 17:55.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

18. The Following User Says Thank You to gezegond For This Useful Post: