Thread: I want to start reading batman

Thanks

Default I want to start reading batman

i want to start reading the batman comics but have no idea where to start. most reading guids i have found tell me to start with the dark knight comics and to ignore silver age batman, but i have no clue how the dc continuity operates, and i would like to eventualy branch out to other charactors like flash and green lanturn. also, does anyone know where i can find the scans of the comics online or good download source? call me a pansy but im a little hesitant using torrents unless i know exactly what im looking for

Thanks
    EP Points

If you're brand new to DC comics, you couldn't have chosen a better time to get into them. DC recently relaunched it's entire franchise with what it's calling the "New 52". Basically, 52 different comics featuring an almost completely rebooted continuity. There are maybe one or two comics that are keeping the old continuity (Green Lantern ones, mostly), but just about everything else is starting from scratch. Of the 52, three of them are Batman comics with several others being Batman related (Nightwing, Batwing, Red Hood, Catwoman, etc.).

So far I've been very impressed with these things, and I'm sure you'll love them too. As for where to get them, I just torrent them or use usenet. Just search for "New 52 Week 1" and you should be able to go from there. If you have any other questions, hit me up on my Backloggery or Youtube (both in my signature) as I don't check forums as often as I check those.

Thanks

The 52 series has both good series that I liked and some not so much. While I agree it's best to start out with new 52 for now since you're just starting out to read DC comics, maybe down the line you could read some of DC's works before the 52 relaunch just to see what changes there were.

Some of my favorite series before New 52 was Batman, Teen Titans, Batgirl, Supergirl, Detective Comics, and most of the major story arcs in Green Lantern. Batman was a tough continuity to start into but I started out with Hush and from then on, I don't think it really mattered whether or not I knew what happened before.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

I'm afraid that discussing where to get comics is not allowed, it's considered warez. So, please, refrain from doing it.

I don't care about the New 52, I don't like the idea of starting everything all over again.
    I can only recommend old stuff, aside from what Darkseid posted, I'd add:

- Batman Year One
    - Batman Year Two
    - Batman A Death in the Family
    - Batman Arkham Asylum
    - Batman The Cult
    - Batman Son of the Demon
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 17th-June-2012 at 15:16.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

As they said, New 52. However, be warned that they recently just did the worst twist of all time, the kind you would see in a bad soap opera. The New 52 in general is fucking over everyone.

If you want to read good Batman, try these.

The Dark Knight Returns (but not Strikes Back, fuck that book)
    The Long Halloween
    Batman: Cacophony
    Any of Grant Morrison's runs (although they do get a tad experimental)
    The Killing Joke

Thanks

thanks everyone, ill check these out.