Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What was the hardest game you ever played and why was it the hardest?

Thanks

Default What was the hardest game you ever played and why was it the hardest?

Personally, I was stuck between Ninja Gaiden and Castlevania both for the NES because of the enemies respawning a lot, how you fell backwards when you got hit, and troublesome bosses.
    Conquer we shall, but, we must first contend! It's not the fight that crowns us, but the end.
    - Robert Herrick

Thanks
    EP Points

Dark/Demon Souls.

Can't get much harder.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Spose' For This Useful Post:

RTT

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

My Personal one Was Ninja Gaiden Black.
    So Much RAGE.
    But it's kewl.
    and I would say if you're too dumb to grasp the game mechanics, Resonance of Fate can kick ass.

"I am... Sheik. One of the last of the Sheikah tribe..."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sheik For This Useful Post:

RTT

Thanks
    EP Points

For an RPg, any game in the SMt series pick one.
    For any other genre though, I'd have to say possibly Duke 3d or Doom.
    Cuz I can't think on much. I play most of my games on the hard setting.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Nemharl View Post
    For an RPg, any game in the SMt series pick one.
    For any other genre though, I'd have to say possibly Duke 3d or Doom.
    Cuz I can't think on much. I play most of my games on the hard setting.
    Devil survivor one. My god i loved it but i died so muhc. And then the save corrupted.

Thanks
    EP Points

XCOM. Because no game is harder than fucking XCOM.

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm pretty sure that there are the same thread somewhere.

Back to the topic.
    Tetris, Mega Man X3.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Muscab View Post
    I'm pretty sure that there are the same thread somewhere.

Back to the topic.
    Tetris, Mega Man X3.
    Yeah, I had my fair share of roid rage from Mega Man Xs
    Conquer we shall, but, we must first contend! It's not the fight that crowns us, but the end.
    - Robert Herrick

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    XCOM. Because no game is harder than fucking XCOM.
    No, that'd be the expansion - Terror From The Deep.

The original XCOM had a bug that reset its difficulty on reload, so you always ended up on normal. The dev team didn't know this, so when they got a flood of mail saying 'hard isn't quite hard enough' they took it at face value. The final difficulty of TFTD is known to cause PTSD in even hardened tactical wargamers.

Thanks
    EP Points

Eternal Champions. Already posted why in another thread about broken bosses, so I'll just copy-paste:

Spoiler warning:
    There are quite a few that come to mind, but none so much as the titular last boss from the Mega Drive fighting game Eternal Champions, who is always my go to answer in threads like these. How is he broken? Let me count the ways:

1. He has all the staples of a coin-munching fighting game last boss. Insane speed, crazy damage output, broken priority, moves that combine all the best bits of other characters' movesets...

2. The AI reads your inputs like a fiend (the developers later came out and admitted this), meaning that any move that you throw at him in a 50/50 situation will be beaten. The only way to hit him (and indeed every enemy in the arcade mode) is to take advantage of gaps in his attacks, or abuse glitches in his AI and the game mechanics.

3. He has five different forms, each with their own full life bar and move set you must learn. You get one life bar (albeit with a small health boost between each form) to beat them all. Lose to one? Unlucky. Back to the start of them all.

4. His first form has a move that makes him temporarily invincible. There are loads of cheap moves like that in the game, so it's not that unusual, but they're regulated by the game's inner strength meter, and the cheapest ones cripple your special move output for a long time after usage. The difference? The Eternal Champion has infinite inner strength. Oops. In short, if the AI decides you are going to lose, you will lose. There is no way around it. Block and he'll throw you or chip off your health with insane chip damage. Try and fight back and your moves pass straight through him, meaning he'll just kick chunks out of you.

5. One of his other forms has a move that puts an aura on him that will hurt you whenever you hit him, and makes his normal attacks chip your health when you block. Ditto to the above, basically, in that if the AI decides to use this move enough you will lose, with the very slight advantage that you can beat him by just praying that your health bar lasts longer than his does. Of course that cripples your health bar for the next form. Better hope that he picks this one last.

6. You have two rounds against him, and you have to win one. If you lose both rounds, it's game over. No continues, no try agains, no nothing. You get a bad ending, and you're kicked back to the title screen to play through the whole (not exactly easy) arcade mode again. Two rounds. So two chances to become acquainted with five different movesets, to find holes in said movesets that are sufficient enough to beat the psychic AI, and to pray that he doesn't decide to spam one of two moves that are pretty much an instant loss for you. No, this is not a boss you're going to beat on your first try. Nor your second. Nor your third...

TL ; DR, he's an SNK fighting game boss if you took him out of the well-polished, fairly well-balanced fighting engine of an SNK game and stuck him into a below par fighting game with some extremely ill advised design decisions. Which is to say pretty much unbeatable by conventional means. I finished the game with every character as a kid because kids are insane like that, but only by abusing a glitch that allows you to throw an opposing character indefinitely when they're trapped in a corner. And even then you have to pray that you can get him into a corner without being killed first, and that you can continue timing your throws correctly to take off five of his health bars so that he doesn't break free and end you.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Was trying to think of the last game I had any trouble with. Can't remember.

SMT has some tricky optional bosses but I don't count those since you can beat the game without doing it.

Edit: The boss in, if I'm remembering correctly, KOFXI was pretty obnoxious. I did not beat him on the first go round.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,350 Times in 160 Posts
    EP Points

Frustration,emo rage with Battletoads and the F#%&ing Silver Surfer ,both for NES,those things were impossible, never finished them,not even now that we have the "advantage"of cheating using "save states" with the emulators,.. so /pass. lol

Thanks

castlevania SOTN in reverse castle, cuz i haven't had any idea what the "sheild rod" was for or how to use it, and i knew what was it for and knew how to use it when i already completed the game,(facepalm!)...

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver_Raziel2 View Post
    Yeah, I had my fair share of roid rage from Mega Man Xs
    Really? With the exception of X4 & particularly X6 I found them pretty tame difficulty wise. Or at least compared to the original Megaman games.

The hardest game I've ever played without a doubt would have to be Dynamite Headdy on the genesis. Unlike many older NES titles we all seem to have trouble with due to gameplay issues (I'm lookin' at you, Castlevania ;/) with this game it was more the sheer number of enemies and projectiles on particular levels, especially the flying stage. People who've played this game know what I'm talking about.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    EP Points

Kid Icarus
    Holy Diver
    Both are ridiculously difficult games. I rage quit them.