Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prototypes and cancelled games! And some interesting discussion (maybe?)

Thanks

I do remember seeing the DOOM prototype versions i think yesterday on youtube.
    Very interesting stuff, and had some features that i would have liked to see in the final version.
    Its one of those things where you love the prototype version, and then the final version looks stripped down from the beta versions.

Thanks
    EP Points

I know one cancelled game for PSOne- Thrill Kill

i was very disappointed that was not found in any stores near my town!

but, i can't play it on emulator because it would give my comuter a Blue Screen.. you know BSoD

Thanks
    EP Points

I remember first informations (10 years ago?) about Aliens: Colonial Marines. It was kinda like tactical shooter, slowly moving team of Marines, replacing fallen troops with rescued civilians and stuff... Not this Co Colonial Marines that will be released soon.

Thanks

The Avenger Game(based on the movie) was canceled HARD! Can't even see the pre-alpha video!
    http://www.videogamesblogger.com/201...-cancelled.htm

Thanks
    Thanked 1,350 Times in 160 Posts
    EP Points

Gun Valkyrie for the Dreamcast.

I always wanted a playable demo/beta but never happened.

Shinobi III The Return of the Ninja Master. I wonder why sega remade the first stage,changed the Kariu spell [it was an Elemental wheel and then they decided to go back to the columns of fire like in Super shinobi(The Revenge Of Shinobi)] and deleted completely the ice spell [Jitsu of Hakuryu].

http://rq87.flyingomelette.com/RQ/Shinobi/SS2Ogp.html

The attached file was a mistake lol
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ponury_indor View Post
    I remember first informations (10 years ago?) about Aliens: Colonial Marines. It was kinda like tactical shooter, slowly moving team of Marines, replacing fallen troops with rescued civilians and stuff... Not this Co Colonial Marines that will be released soon.
    To be honest, I don't think it will be a CoD clone. Also Fox has announced that the game is canonical to the storyline.
    Now a game I want to play is Resident Evil 1.5. The classic prototype, almost urban-legend that exists somewhere in this world.

Check my YouTube for gameplay and pickup videos!

Steam|Youtube

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by resident evil2 nemesis View Post
    Very interesting stuff, and had some features that i would have liked to see in the final version.
    Its one of those things where you love the prototype version, and then the final version looks stripped down from the beta versions.
    I know, I would've loved to have the bayonet weapon, as opposed to just punching. I know on v.0.5 the graphics looked somehow more mature, I think it's the lower angle view.

for my own input: almost every sonic game pissed me off as soon as I saw/played the beta. even the original had very cool features that never made it, like the ability to run fast for a short time and transport to the bonus rounds. also, they considered a scuba mask, to let him continue to survive under water. I'm kinda glad that never made it in. and don't even get me started on Sonic Xtreme: ...ok I'm started:
    Sonic 3d blast was NOT a bad game by any means. dissapointing, yes. But Xtreme was supposed to really bring SEGA and sonic higher than it ever was before, as the Sega Saturn, but somewhere along the line, Sega's nads just shrunk about 3 sizes. ever since then I can't enjoy any new sonic game ever again...
    as far as NES games are concerned, I would love to have Earthbound Zero. why it was not released is a mystery to me, as it was fully translated from Mother, and was complete in every way. you can still get a copy of it and others from this sight: www.nesreproductions.com all you need is about $30 and an NES cart you don't want anymore (it has to be a specific cart for different games).
    Rabid Media Online!
    Check out original artwork and games by ME!!!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Englebert3rd View Post
    To be honest, I don't think it will be a CoD clone.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ntpKCd4Oaw

Maybe not CoD, but close enough.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ponury_indor View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ntpKCd4Oaw

Maybe not CoD, but close enough.
    It could be really, but still looks interesting. Alien Vs Predator (2010) handled the Marine class pretty well, as it was quite tense.
    There's a prototype for the Atari Jaguar, that can be played on a Jaguar CD. It's called Black Ice White Noise. It was a open world game, à la GTA3, and it was quite innovative.
    Here's a video:

Check my YouTube for gameplay and pickup videos!

Steam|Youtube

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Izuna View Post
    Gun Valkyrie for the Dreamcast.
    I always wanted a playable demo/beta but never happened.

Shinobi III The Return of the Ninja Master. I wonder why sega remade the first stage,changed the Kariu spell [it was an Elemental wheel and then they decided to go back to the columns of fire like in Super shinobi(The Revenge Of Shinobi)] and deleted completely the ice spell [Jitsu of Hakuryu].

http://rq87.flyingomelette.com/RQ/Shinobi/SS2Ogp.html

The attached file was a mistake lol

I have a beta build for the Xbox Not quite as interesting.

Thanks
    EP Points

Here's one that really upset me when it never saw the light of day. It was being advertised back when the N64 was still called the Ultra 64, and It certainly looked cool.

There are some gameplay videos on youtube, so check them out if you are interested. My understanding is the game was quite far along in development, but just never finished.

Thanks
    EP Points

hmm i never bothered to try out any betas or other prerelease version of games before (roms/isos of course) but some of these mentioned sound like they had interesting ideas in those early versions like that bayonet weapon in diablo (first i've ever heard of such a thing)

i'll have to look through some of them sometime.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by resident evil2 nemesis View Post
    Is this the video you're talking about?

I agree that they took out some great features, but damn am I thankful they didn't use any of the alpha UI's. What I thought was most interesting is in the beginning they show off the ability to play with the lighting and textures. While they used the lighting quite a bit in the final version, they really missed out on the potential of changing textures in game. They really only used it for animating switches, while they could have added stuff like blood seeping through walls. The Wolfenstein-esque loot was pretty cool as well, and really adds to the demonic atmosphere, as well as adds a bit more to accomplish in levels. The weapon animation towards the middle of the video, raising the gun to shoot, was also a great idea

Makes me wonder why they left so many good ideas out. But even with so many features stripped out, I still hold Doom as the greatest FPS ever made.

Thanks
    EP Points

oh, i remember now (almost forgot what i was gonna say), i'd have to check (if theres a copy of the beta version as a rom that is) but castlevania 64 apparently had a playable character repurposed as a immortal (seemingly?) NPC/mob before it was released. Corler, the chainsaw and shotgun wielding pc, imo he'd be a awesome pc, maybe someone could work him in as a hack someday possibly

more info here: http://www.castlevaniadungeon.net/games/cv64weird.html

says he was dropped completely on that page but i'm sure most who know that stuff knows hes still in the finished game, in the other n64 game too i think.

Thanks
    EP Points

oh, i remember now (almost forgot what i was gonna say), i'd have to check (if theres a copy of the beta version as a rom that is) but castlevania 64 apparently had a playable character repurposed as a immortal (seemingly?) NPC/mob before it was released. Corler, the chainsaw and shotgun wielding pc, imo he'd be a awesome pc, maybe someone could work him in as a hack someday possibly

more info here: http://www.castlevaniadungeon.net/games/cv64weird.html

says he was dropped completely on that page but i'm sure most who know that stuff knows hes still in the finished game, in the other n64 game too i think.

edit: delete this 2nd post please... that hasn't happened in forever o.O