Thread: Concerning "Favorite etc" threads

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Concerning "Favorite etc" threads

Just thought I would point out a thread under General Gaming (this; http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...ick-Adventures), which is clearly intended as a "Favorite" thread based on the original posters initial post, clearly in violation of the policy concerning such threads as stated in http://www.epforums.org/announcement.php?f=33;

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic
    "Favourite" threads.
    The next person to post one of these gets temp banned for a month.

Stop it.

EDIT: it includes favourite/best/worst/overrated/underrated/versus games threads. We don't encourage flame wars about games or systems and this kind of thread either lead to them or consists in a pointless list of games that encourages no sensible discussion.
    While I personally have no qualms with such threads, as I have seen the policy enforced against other threads of this type in said section, I feel it is only fair that it is enforced consistently.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    EP Points

You're right, although there's some proper discussion going on in that thread... sometimes. I think that might've saved it from locking. Or the lack of "favorite" in the title.

At the time when that announcement was made we were flooded by favorite threads and staff members kinda-sorta just snapped and went zero tolerance on them. The point of this policy is to avoid mindless list-making, which is fine, but if there's something resembling a proper discussion of favorite titles, I'm personally not against these sort of threads, and neither should they IMO. So in other words, that point and click thread seems fine for the moment, more or less.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

I subscribe what Gare said. We aren't against favourite threads, it's only those that are created once and again and the ones inspired by them the ones we close.

If there's some originality and there's actually some positive debate in the thread instead of just one list after another that no one is really going to read, there's no problem with them.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 8th-June-2012 at 10:14.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 124 Posts
    EP Points

Agreed.

I think the staff should enforce the rules against those flame wars specifically, to prevent those obnoxious conversations that sometimes occur. (when it becomes an argument)

We all like talking about games and other things, as long as those fav/etc. posts don't intentionally offend anyone, I don't see the big prob
    My inbox IS NOT A REQUEST BOX , if you want to make requests maybe do it here? Someone w/ working links might help you there (I don't do requests obviously, however, feel free to let me know if a DLC file doesn't work* and needs an update ) *ex:"container error"

How to use DLC files? Use Jdownloader
    Still looking for PS2 undubs by any chance? Try searching "PS2 undub project 2.6" @ google, it's hard to miss and you can maybe find most of em in a single search/post .

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I've made a couple. But after Cookie told me to go easy with them, haven't made one since.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Destrudo View Post
    Agreed.

I think the staff should enforce the rules against those flame wars specifically, to prevent those obnoxious conversations that sometimes occur. (when it becomes an argument)
    Exactly. It is sad when a thread is derailed from a decent discussion to "OMG U HOMO THAT GAME LIEK SUX" (or becomes nothing but). Guess it comes with the territory.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by MaslowK View Post
    Just thought I would point out a thread under General Gaming (this; http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...ick-Adventures), which is clearly intended as a "Favorite" thread based on the original posters initial post, clearly in violation of the policy concerning such threads as stated in http://www.epforums.org/announcement.php?f=33;

While I personally have no qualms with such threads, as I have seen the policy enforced against other threads of this type in said section, I feel it is only fair that it is enforced consistently.
    The thread is ok because I posted in it.

And what Gare said. There's a difference between some form of discussion vs just listing garbage. Like what's your favorite Cereal, I mean for fucks sake.

Thanks
    EP Points

I agree. because sometimes the threads can turn mean. People disagree then an argument breaks out. Not pretty.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Basically, "Favorite Threads" as is referred on here is nothing more than a conversation that one would normally have. On or off the internet, that's exactly why it's popular.
    If a subject is derailed from the thread, someone will fix it, Eventually.
    This thread is a good reminder that there are some things that should remain unspoken.
    Simple.

"I am... Sheik. One of the last of the Sheikah tribe..."