Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Wii Firmware Update

Thanks

Default Questions about Wii Firmware Update

I am about to get a Wii (an old one softmodded with Neogamma) and I have some questions about firmaware update. I have read in several places that you should avoid updating at all costs so it doesn't mess with your softmod, so here it goes:

1) What if I want to play newer games? Do I have to update the Wii firmware (or Neogamma itself) to play them?

2) If the answer is updating the Wii firmware, is there a safe way to do so without ruining the mod?

3) If I have a Wi-fi connection at home, is it recomended to turn it off so the console doesn't automatically update the firmware version?

4) Do the answers to 1, 2 and 3 apply to both old and new consoles? I say "old" and "new" because I know that the most recent versions of Wii can only be softmodded to run games from an external DVD drive or HDD, and the Wii I'm gonna get is of the "older" kind - using just Neogamma mod you can play without the need of external stuff.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You can safely update to the newer firmwares via "safe updaters."
    http://gbatemp.net/topic/184057-rele...mware-updater/

New updates are required for new games, but few require 4.3. Read through that and it should answer most of your questions.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazzmarazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for the help, but when I clicked the sharebee link I got a Google warning saying that the website contains malware... What to do...?

Thanks
    EP Points

Just go to it, Jazz would never link to a site that would harm your computer.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I got it too, nothing happened. If you're still afraid, here is the files:
    Attached Files Attached Files

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazzmarazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

What about question 3: If I have a Wi-fi connection at home, is it recomended to turn it off so the console doesn't automatically update the firmware version?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Flávio Alves View Post
    What about question 3: If I have a Wi-fi connection at home, is it recomended to turn it off so the console doesn't automatically update the firmware version?
    The read me says that you require an internet connection to DL the files. in your Boot2 options or whatever they were, you should have selected the "do not auto update, etc." I play burned games online all the time, so you don't have to turn it off. I also turned off the connect to Nintendo something...something in the Wii menu. I can't remember what it is called off the top of my head atm. Nintendo 24hr or something. You'll know if its off when the Wii standby light is red rather than yellow.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazzmarazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

You can use priiloader to block all updates ...disc and internet. (and do other nice things like muting the music in the wii menu)
    http://code.google.com/p/priiloader/
    just an ordinary gamer grrrl

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mondscheinchen For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Do I get the same result if I just disable updates on the Wii menu itself (I think it's called Wii24h, lik JazzMarazz said)?
    Last edited by Flávio Alves; 16th-June-2012 at 17:20.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Do I get the same result if I just disable updates on the Wii menu itself (I think it's called Wii24h, lik JazzMarazz said)?
    No, do it with PriiLoader. The Wii24h thing is only an internet connection thing, not updates. It will keep the Wii connected to WIfi 24/7 so that it can do updates when its off. If you do not use PriiLoader, games may still updates your console.

Thanks

I tried to install Priiloader, but I got an error message (not sure what it said because it appeared for just a moment, but it mentioned something about cIOS58 not being installed or something like that). After the error screen, it went back to Wii Menu. My system menu is version 4.0, but I don't know which homebrew channel version I have (where do I check that?).

Can anybody point me to a good tutorial? I tried these two:

http://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-...ates-more.html

https://sites.google.com/site/comple...cks/priiloader

They both explain slightly different ways to install it Priiloader, but none of them worked.
    Last edited by Flávio Alves; 19th-June-2012 at 12:56.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Do you have a WAD manager? Install CIOS58 with it and try again. That is all I can think of.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazzmarazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

If I do that, will I need to reinstall the Homebrew Channel (like it says here: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/IOS58_Installer? I'd like to avoid that, if possible.

Also, in my HBC I have an IOS58 installer, but I don't know how to use it (it was already there when I bought my used console). Is the installer all I need?

Sorry for the lame questions, I just don't want to screw up my Wii.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If I do that, will I need to reinstall the Homebrew Channel (like it says here: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/IOS58_Installer? I'd like to avoid that, if possible.

Also, in my HBC I have an IOS58 installer, but I don't know how to use it (it was already there when I bought my used console). Is the installer all I need?

Sorry for the lame questions, I just don't want to screw up my Wii.
    It does look like you will have to re install HBC as per the wiki page. It offers help below that statement though.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Jazzmarazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I did some more reading about that and found out that the easiest way to install Priiloader is to install IOS58, but, in order to do that, I would have to update the Homebrew channel to version 1.0.8. I also learned that if I installed the Wii menu v. 4.3, it would come with IOS58 already installed.

My Wii is softmodded with NeoGamma; Wii Menu is version 4.0 and my Homebrew Channel is version 1.0.1.

So, what would be the simplest and safest way to have Priiloader installed: by updating HBC or updating the Wii menu?

EDIT: I know that in order to update the menu to v. 4.3 I would have to use safe updaters, like you said above, otherwise I could brick my Wii. Is the same precaution needed to update the homebrew channel to v. 1.0.8?
    Last edited by Flávio Alves; 20th-June-2012 at 14:33.