Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Methinks

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Methinks

We need a shoutbox on EP in my opinion
    The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

- James Oliver Rigney Jr. aka Robert Jordan (God rest his Soul.) 10-17-1948 to 09-16-2007

Thanks
    EP Points

shouted down we had chat at one time my idea it failed horribly with no way to moderate it banned members getting on chat and it was costing the site owner money so it was done away with.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Thanks
    EP Points

Shoutbox? You mean like a hangout to shout at each other, or a thread to make complains?
    Either way, I do not see the point of neither. This is such a nice place, why would that be needed?
    If you have a problem or need help in some matters, the "personel" here is kind, they would not bother if you ask.
    (I am pretty sure of it. )

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by foggy_han View Post
    Shoutbox? You mean like a hangout to shout at each other, or a thread to make complains?
    Either way, I do not see the point of neither. This is such a nice place, why would that be needed?
    If you have a problem or need help in some matters, the "personel" here is kind, they would not bother if you ask.
    (I am pretty sure of it. )

I am pretty sure what he means by shout box is a chat box similar to what some anime sites such as this one uses it's hard to miss on the right of the screen

http://www.animeratio.com/

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knightshade For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Personally, I don't like the idea too much since a shoutbox may detract activity from the forums.

Thanks
    EP Points

Peeps can spam shoutbox. With many folks visit the forum every day, the shoutbox will get filled every seconds. Nuff said.

Thanks
    EP Points

Having experienced the chatbox when it was here, I would also be against a ShoutBox. I feel it would quickly become a "DerpBox" or a "SpamBox".

EP is great "as is". If it's not broke, let's not fix it.
    *If my post was helpful, click the star in the lower left corner of it to say "Thanks".
    *My username will unlock my uploads, if a password is needed.
    *Games, Guitars, or Girls... choose any two.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rockstar1983 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstar1983 View Post
    Having experienced the chatbox when it was here, I would also be against a ShoutBox. I feel it would quickly become a "DerpBox" or a "SpamBox".

EP is great "as is". If it's not broke, let's not fix it.

I still promote the benefits that HEALTHY chat could bring to the forums it could cut down on spam/repeat threads people could ask and be linked to the forum page for the help they need overall a healthy chat box would be good, BUT the problems are it is hard to moderate if it was possible to moderate it would create more work for staff members (that are possibly already overworked) and without moderation tends to turn into a trolls dream and the average users headache.

The ultimate decision belongs to the staff, but as someone who has has a similar idea come to temporary fruition, I have seen the bad side and stand against this unless it is agreed upon by the staff and can be implemented in a cost effective and moderatable way. for reference on how my chat idea went over with every one see this thread.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Knightshade View Post
    I still promote the benefits that HEALTHY chat could bring to the forums it could cut down on spam/repeat threads people could ask and be linked to the forum page for the help they need overall a healthy chat box would be good, BUT the problems are it is hard to moderate if it was possible to moderate it would create more work for staff members (that are possibly already overworked) and without moderation tends to turn into a trolls dream and the average users headache.

The ultimate decision belongs to the staff, but as someone who has has a similar idea come to temporary fruition, I have seen the bad side and stand against this unless it is agreed upon by the staff and can be implemented in a cost effective and moderatable way. for reference on how my chat idea went over with every one see this thread.
    It actually promoted repeat requests, because unlike the forum proper, there's no permanent and readily-accessible record of previous chat strings. We ended up with people asking questions, getting responses, then other people asking the very same question. Since we couldn't just link or look up the previous requests for help, other users would have no way of knowing that your question was already asked ten or twenty times before. Linking a single blank chatbox is far less helpful than linking an entire previous thread dedicated to that question, including answers and further information.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    It actually promoted repeat requests, because unlike the forum proper, there's no permanent and readily-accessible record of previous chat strings. We ended up with people asking questions, getting responses, then other people asking the very same question. Since we couldn't just link or look up the previous requests for help, other users would have no way of knowing that your question was already asked ten or twenty times before. Linking a single blank chatbox is far less helpful than linking an entire previous thread dedicated to that question, including answers and further information.
    As I have said the decision is up to you guys but the point I was trying to make is that in my opinion repeated questions in a
    chat environment is not as bad or as costly to server space as postings of multiple threads on the same topic such as the countless how do I run .ecm threads when in chat you can't link them to the previous chat with the answer they are looking for you can link them to the forum page with the answer thus promoting forum use by way of the chat box,but I digress as this is just my point of view and as I have already pointed out in my comment above I have seen with the previous chat what would happen if there was no way to moderate such a feature which I myself have no desire to relive.

Thanks
    EP Points

then why not the option of toggle switch for the shoutbox in your profile like show/hide or something?
    The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

- James Oliver Rigney Jr. aka Robert Jordan (God rest his Soul.) 10-17-1948 to 09-16-2007

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by lordrand11 View Post
    then why not the option of toggle switch for the shoutbox in your profile like show/hide or something?
    Woudln't help the problem at all.

Thanks
    EP Points

Wouldn't hinder anyone at all either. Those that wish to ignore can do so. And those that wish to use it could. Or a shoutbox for your EP friends list?

Thanks
    EP Points

The shoutbox should be similar o something Near-Reality the RSPS has. Where you can ban users from it and delete messages that people have, i don't know what we had before but that type could be monitered well not to mention you could set requirments to use it. like 150 posts or something.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Spose' For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

I second the notion of a chatbox. Only in the form of a revived IRC channel. Much easier to moderate, assuming you have enough "trusted" users to do so at various times of day. I'm guessing that's possibly why it went down in the first place?
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"