Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Technology Heal Nature?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Can Technology Heal Nature?

I feel like technology has been fighting against nature, but that it could be used for good. I envision mechanisms that circulate nutrients through natural habitats and correct the damage that has been done.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I really cannot say that technology cannot be used for Nature.
    I mean in short scale, an automatic sprinkler helps keeps the grass roots moist so they won't dry out.
    You can grow plants in fluorescent light, maybe trees can be this way as well, but who can truly say

"I am... Sheik. One of the last of the Sheikah tribe..."

Thanks

That sounds good. I believe that there is probably something that could be done to help nature but if people would leave nature alone for a while it could correct itself. In fact that sounds like a good reason why I like to stay inside and play video games all day. Next time my fiance yells at me for playing games ill tell her that I'm doing my part for the environment.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by letsuo20 View Post
    That sounds good. I believe that there is probably something that could be done to help nature but if people would leave nature alone for a while it could correct itself. In fact that sounds like a good reason why I like to stay inside and play video games all day. Next time my fiance yells at me for playing games ill tell her that I'm doing my part for the environment.
    Tell us how that goes will yeah? I'll make a note for the future...

and thats a good idea andy but i don't think that would ever happen.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Animatrix. No nature; only the weak bodied raised for energy.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Cyborg trees to clear out lots of CO2 and make them almost incapable of being killed!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Giant robots, battling other giant robots.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Giant cyborg trees with arms and legs and lasers that kill people who try to cut down forests.

Thanks
    EP Points

I think the technology itself is a nature. We are human which is a nature. We the human (nature) create a technology out of different materials (nature). Basically, its all nature. Whether we destroy them or not, its doesn't matter as long as everything is nature..

Thanks

Unfortunately, people don't realize that we are part of nature, and this includes the resulting damage we have caused to the ecosystems around the world.

The technology that we have access, or lay claim to, is simply another facet of our existence. If we eventually wipe ourselves out, oh well, the planet will live on.

I don't think the question is so much "will we go extinct?", but "when will we go extinct?".

Just trying to look at things from a realistic perspective... unlike people who think the entirety of our universe revolves around their little sand grain of eternal salvation anyways... talk about delusional...
    Last edited by Virii; 17th-May-2012 at 13:45.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

This question presupposes that humans will ever be able to fathom the full depth of nature. I'm betting that you weren't taught in school that humans are little more than a life support system for microbes, but the truth is that there is 10 times as much microbial DNA in your body as their is Human DNA. Or that without those bacteria, we would be unable to live. They are what makes a human capable of digestion.

Instead, we invent antibiotics as though we bacteria are something to be conquered. Then we ingest those antibiotics and excrete them into a system rich with nutrients for microbes to grow. Essentially, we're breeding antibiotic resistant bacteria in our sewers. These are not contained systems, as we regularly dump this waste into our natural waterways, or lose containment in floods.

Basically, every bit of technology we've ever created as a race aims to subjugate nature. The very premise of our technology is destructive. I don't see any great healing coming from the same thinking that got us into this mess.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks

For taking care of the planet I'm conservationist (not to be confused with environmentalist). The general rule is - take care of your property, use what its in nature(even the nasty dirty coal and oil) but not to excess. Use what you need, no more, no less without the government dictating what is too little or too much. Conserve what is in nature(hence the conserve part). No political BS required.

Thanks

Well I don't think technology could truly destroy nature. Nature always prevails in whatever it combats. As for helping nature, technology has already done that through the creation of recycling machines and devices. I am taking the assumption that you mean technology as the true definition which is the application of scientific knowledge for general purpose but, in that sense it can almost be looked at as a battle of human vs. nature. I believe you cannot conquer what you are a part of so therefore I think that if this war between technology and nature does exists as the case you presented, it is an endless war until humans die off and then nature will retake its strengths. Nature has already shown that it can over come technology, for example the Chernobyl incident. If you take a look into that you will find that nature is slowly reclaiming the area where humans once lived. yes, radiation still exists but it is and will diminish in time and nature will reclaim it completely. To see nature in the act its as simple as watching weeds grow from the cracks of the sidewalk.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Epic battle.
    Spoiler warning:

vs.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas Glover View Post
    Well I don't think technology could truly destroy nature. Nature always prevails in whatever it combats. As for helping nature, technology has already done that through the creation of recycling machines and devices. I am taking the assumption that you mean technology as the true definition which is the application of scientific knowledge for general purpose but, in that sense it can almost be looked at as a battle of human vs. nature. I believe you cannot conquer what you are a part of so therefore I think that if this war between technology and nature does exists as the case you presented, it is an endless war until humans die off and then nature will retake its strengths. Nature has already shown that it can over come technology, for example the Chernobyl incident. If you take a look into that you will find that nature is slowly reclaiming the area where humans once lived. yes, radiation still exists but it is and will diminish in time and nature will reclaim it completely. To see nature in the act its as simple as watching weeds grow from the cracks of the sidewalk.
    You bring up an excellent point. Nature does eventually take over technology if given enough time. The problem is that is takes so long and an individual person cannot see it happen/change that much in their lifetime so people get worried and are looking for ways to help the process.