Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gamestop's "New" Games

Thanks

Default Gamestop's "New" Games

I have a question to put forth to the forums. Would you buy an open game for full price? I mean if someone unwrapped, opened the case, removed the contents and did something with them, and then tried to sell you an open case and a disc in a paper sleeve would you consider it new or used?

In my opinion its a used game as soon as you open the case, but according to Gamestop its still new and will try to sell it to you for full price. they've tried this on two occasions and then tried to assure me its no big deal when I refused to buy them.

has this happened to anyone else?

this fraudulent policy infuriates me, and i believe the person who came up with it deserves a special place in hell (along with the proponent of the $70 "magical" bestbuy hdmi cable)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to adsaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I hate when Gamestop tries to pull this crap. On some occasions I have seen the manual not be in pristine condition. If Gamestop does not want to put a product on display with a game in it then they should take a print copy of the cover in a case for display. Don't take the game out and then use that case. It bothers me acting like nothing is wrong.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Hah, every forum needs a regular Gamestop hate thread.

Yeah they do that all the time... I always refuse, as any collector should. But I suppose soccer moms and stupid kids really don't care. Some clerks get it, but the ones that try to explain how it's still good are pretty pathetic

Also, there's that silly warranty they always try to push. Again, good for stupid kids. But really, I've bought hundreds of games from Gamestop/EB, and I've NEVER broken or even slightly damaged a game. Why would I waste $2 or whatever they want on that
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I will be the devil's advocate on this one.

It's easier to have the customer pay full price for a game that was never played, but opened.
    This loophole also allows them to have even less 10% off or some measly ripoff percentage like 1% for the game.
    They still make good money, you get a "new" game.
    Is it practical, yes. Right? Eh...........NO!

"I am... Sheik. One of the last of the Sheikah tribe..."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SwordOfTime View Post
    I will be the devil's advocate on this one.

It's easier to have the customer pay full price for a game that was never played, but opened.
    This loophole also allows them to have even less 10% off or some measly ripoff percentage like 1% for the game.
    They still make good money, you get a "new" game.
    Is it practical, yes. Right? Eh...........NO!
    Well what about a new item at electronics store like televisions and other items. They usually give you money off for display items. I mean once the game is opened it loses collector value. What annoys me most is them putting a sticker holding the thing together. That is the worst part because sometimes it does not come off as easy as it should. Then it sticks and your pissed off.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by jmurjeff View Post
    Well what about a new item at electronics store like televisions and other items. They usually give you money off for display items. I mean once the game is opened it loses collector value. What annoys me most is them putting a sticker holding the thing together. That is the worst part because sometimes it does not come off as easy as it should. Then it sticks and your pissed off.
    Yes, but they can afford to do that with TV sales barely dropping because of HDTV's, 3D Compatible TV's, and touch-screen TV's, (seriously?)
    Games sales drop because recent titles and marketing choices for the game consoles and accessories are mediocre or bad.
    Need to make up the difference somehow.

On the other note, I hate the sticker thing too. It's still stuck on My Call of Duty 4 case and that was released in 2009 I believe.
    I just cannot see game shops lasting when we can make everything digital or shippable online.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by adsaint View Post
    I have a question to put forth to the forums. Would you buy an open game for full price? I mean if someone unwrapped, opened the case, removed the contents and did something with them, and then tried to sell you an open case and a disc in a paper sleeve would you consider it new or used?

In my opinion its a used game as soon as you open the case, but according to Gamestop its still new and will try to sell it to you for full price. they've tried this on two occasions and then tried to assure me its no big deal when I refused to buy them.

has this happened to anyone else?

this fraudulent policy infuriates me, and i believe the person who came up with it deserves a special place in hell (along with the proponent of the $70 "magical" bestbuy hdmi cable)
    Buying cords at the store is like flushing money down the toilet .

I don't care if it doesn't have shrink wrap, some may not be sealed even if they are actually new. Replacing the insert or not including content is bogus.

Yes, but they can afford to do that with TV sales barely dropping because of HDTV's, 3D Compatible TV's, and touch-screen TV's, (seriously?)
    Games sales drop because recent titles and marketing choices for the game consoles and accessories are mediocre or bad.
    Need to make up the difference somehow.

On the other note, I hate the sticker thing too. It's still stuck on My Call of Duty 4 case and that was released in 2009 I believe.
    I just cannot see game shops lasting when we can make everything digital or shippable online.
    Touchscreen TVs, really? Kinda defeats the purpose of sitting back in a chair and watching the tube .
    Last edited by Slacker Magician; 3rd-May-2012 at 00:15.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Slacker Magician For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've even heard rumors of them allowing the workers to borrow the games they open for display and bring them home and use them and then they STILL sell it as new!

reademup

http://videogamewriters.com/of-quest...e-policy-21729

Thanks
    EP Points

No. I don't buy games from gamestop.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by iamerror View Post
    No. I don't buy games from gamestop.
    lWPdJ.png

Thanks

I've even heard rumors of them allowing the workers to borrow the games they open for display and bring them home and use them and then they STILL sell it as new!

reademup

http://videogamewriters.com/of-quest...e-policy-21729
    That is a sick story. I cannot believe that employees use download codes from the game. Then try and sell them as new games. Maybe they will become the paypal of the game world. Scamming customers left and right.

Thanks
    EP Points

I’ve been told by employees that they open the cases so that they can play the games and recommend them to customers prior to release.
    I'm glad GS isn't in the business of selling cars.

Fresh off the assembly line you say?
    Last edited by camb702; 3rd-May-2012 at 00:31.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Good one.

I just hate the trade policy in general, a game I bought 3 months ago is only worth 1/5 of its original price in store credit but you're selling it for twice as much!?
    gtfo-5379_preview.jpg
    Last edited by Sheik; 3rd-May-2012 at 00:30.

Thanks

I hate it when gamestop pulls this nonsense. Twice I have fallen for it (Dynasty Warriors 7 and DW Gundam 3). At the time they only had one copy of each game, labeled new, but were not sealed. I had to relent since I wanted those games so bad. Next time I buy a new game from GS, I'll make sure I actually get a sealed copy. Kinda glad I do business with the other game stores in my area besides gamestop now.

Thanks
    EP Points

I just hate the trade policy in general, a game I bought 3 months ago is only worth 1/5 of its original price in store credit but you're selling it for twice as much!?
    Dog's gotta eat, right? lol