Thread: Gamestop's "New" Games

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

God wish that happened to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

The trade in games for systems promos are always nice. Back when the PSP was $200 I picked up 8 random qualifying titles from other stores for ~$100 and traded them in
    Anybody trading in stuff in Canada should know about TIVs.ca.

Also, recently EBs around here have supposedly started accepting actual broken 360s and PS3s in trade. They only give some pittance, but money for garbage is pretty nice.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    The trade in games for systems promos are always nice. Back when the PSP was $200 I picked up 8 random qualifying titles from other stores for ~$100 and traded them in

Also, recently EBs around here have supposedly started accepting actual broken 360s and PS3s in trade. They only give some pittance, but money for garbage is pretty nice.
    That is awesome your finding some good deals.

Now it is true to get something for your broken system is better than nothing. They are going repair it or use it for parts so they can sell it for a lot more money. Kind of sucks though when they give you so little for a game system that is in good working order and then sell it for a lot more.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah they just don't do those kind of promos here. I also wish there was a site like that for AMERIKA. It looks like it is all user contributed data. That's cool.

As for the broken consoles, are there no good repair options in Canada?

Thanks
    EP Points

have you heard of http://videogames.pricecharting.com/ ? thats where i go for prices (not trade values though) and i think it applies to the US as well

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adsaint View Post
    I have a question to put forth to the forums. Would you buy an open game for full price? I mean if someone unwrapped, opened the case, removed the contents and did something with them, and then tried to sell you an open case and a disc in a paper sleeve would you consider it new or used?

In my opinion its a used game as soon as you open the case, but according to Gamestop its still new and will try to sell it to you for full price. they've tried this on two occasions and then tried to assure me its no big deal when I refused to buy them.

has this happened to anyone else?

this fraudulent policy infuriates me, and i believe the person who came up with it deserves a special place in hell (along with the proponent of the $70 "magical" bestbuy hdmi cable)
    Actually, it has happened quite a few times to me. But when I bought Tales of Graces F, it wasn't opened, I was surprised. I fully expected to get an opened game (march 30th) It seems like they had a display case up on the shelf and the actual games were in a locked (?) drawer. If I can't find the game i want at walmart, I go to gamestop.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Spicer View Post
    have you heard of http://videogames.pricecharting.com/ ? thats where i go for prices (not trade values though) and i think it applies to the US as well
    I generally check VGPC before I go about flipping a garage/yard sale find. I know general prices for PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, Saturn and Sega CD as well as the newer consoles but I'm not to well versed on the rest and it's always good to make sure. Of course you also have to actually look at Amazon and Ebay to check the conditions listed at what price and what something actually sells for on e-bay.

Thanks
    EP Points

sorry guys internet has been off for a little and just catching up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp-Luc Picard View Post
    Ouch.

Hell, who knows if they aren't selling used copies they get in (in good enough condition) as new? I've had my suspicions here... I've even seen (awhile ago) games w/o the artwork and manual listed as new.

@Kouen: XD
    Quote Originally Posted by kilokk View Post
    No. No store will EVER do this I guarantee it to you. Stores are ranked on used sales. They only make about 5 bucks on a new game because 95% of the profit goes to the publisher (and NOT the developer).
    It's why trade prices suck. If they give you 20 bucks for MW3, and sell it for 54.99 they make 35 bucks profit. Vs the 5 they make on the new one, they will want to sell used items as used every time.
    But the store can report to the customer that the used like new game is in fact new and put on it's paper work that they sold a used game turning their $35 used and $5 new profit into much more for example someone brings in a used copy of xenoblade in perfect condition gamestop (knowing the shitty prices they sometimes give) gives them $10 turn around and sell it "new" for $49.99 and report that they sold a "used" copy 49.99 - 10= 39.99(profit) I think this is the point Gypsy was trying to make.

Quote Originally Posted by kilokk View Post
    I agree it is their word against yours as the check out policy is effed up. That said the point that I was trying to make is that the shrink wrap being on it has nothing to do with it being new or used, while it IS the only reason you can know for sure.
    I am glad to see someone from gamestop acknowledge the fact that as you also said in your post we have no clue as to whether or not the game is truly new or used unless we walk in as they are gutting the game.
    Last edited by Knightshade; 14th-May-2012 at 07:32.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Knightshade For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by adsaint View Post
    this fraudulent policy infuriates me, and i believe the person who came up with it deserves a special place in hell
    A special place in hell over selling new games without shrinkwrap? A little dramatic don't you think?

Yeah they do that all the time... I always refuse, as any collector should. But I suppose soccer moms and stupid kids really don't care. Some clerks get it, but the ones that try to explain how it's still good are pretty pathetic
    Who buys games to stick them on display as a collectors item and never play them? Especially given the collectors value of common games that aren't specifically "collectors edition" copies?

Guess my point here is, if you don't like the unwrapped copy, don't buy it; surely there are a plethora of stores selling the exact same game sealed, because god knows shrinkwrap is much more important than the game itself.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by MaslowK View Post
    A special place in hell over selling new games without shrinkwrap? A little dramatic don't you think?

Who buys games to stick them on display as a collectors item and never play them? Especially given the collectors value of common games that aren't specifically "collectors edition" copies?

Guess my point here is, if you don't like the unwrapped copy, don't buy it; surely there are a plethora of stores selling the exact same game sealed, because god knows shrinkwrap is much more important than the game itself.
    you are either retarded or missing the point, the point is for collectors that the game stay in mint(like new) condition, and has not been played. most collectors have two copies of the games they collect one to play and the other for collection purpose without the shrink wrap there is no guarantee of quality or that the game has not been played.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Thanks
    EP Points

like i have said before EB does their thing, weather you buy from them or not is your choice, i buy from them frequently.... like when i bought 200 PS2 games from them at once which consisted of 40% rare RPGs like all the .Hack games at $5 a piece

Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Knightshade View Post
    you are either retarded or missing the point, the point is for collectors that the game stay in mint(like new) condition, and has not been played.
    Hence actual "collectors edition" versions. With these it would seem (more) reasonable to gripe about shrinkwrap.

Also,

you are either retarded or
    either retarded or
    retarded
    Well shit, how can I argue with such sound logic
    Last edited by MaslowK; 22nd-May-2012 at 06:45.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    EP Points

$70 for an hdmi cable? LOL

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by -NTA- View Post
    $70 for an hdmi cable? LOL
    i get the for $1 per foot

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Need to be cheaper than that man.