Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Gamestop's "New" Games

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyGuitar View Post
    I've gotten pretty tired of GS myself. Always ripping people off, having bad trade policies and this and that. I am really thinking of never going there, but since it is in a mall setting, I might go in and see what they have, but usually they don't. Or its too expensive for used or something like that. Getting games off amazon or ebay is way better, you can actually find better prices for both new and used games. The only disadvantage of using amazon and ebay is waiting for it to come in the mail, besides some other obvious things. With all the shit GS pulls, I'm surpsied they're still around. Who knows, if the next Xbox and PS actually do not allow used games to be used, then I don't see GS lasting much longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuzzHardwick View Post
    Gamestop are evil....but unfortunately a necessary evil some times.
    Underhanded or no, I'd rather have them than not.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Their trade-in policy for the most part isn't any worse than anyone elses these days (except for, you know, honest places).

I don't see them going anywhere. Too many kids, little old ladies and gigantic tools out there.
    Last edited by Gypsy; 8th-May-2012 at 16:23.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyGuitar View Post
    I've gotten pretty tired of GS myself. Always ripping people off, having bad trade policies and this and that. I am really thinking of never going there, but since it is in a mall setting, I might go in and see what they have, but usually they don't. Or its too expensive for used or something like that. Getting games off amazon or ebay is way better, you can actually find better prices for both new and used games. The only disadvantage of using amazon and ebay is waiting for it to come in the mail, besides some other obvious things. With all the shit GS pulls, I'm surpsied they're still around. Who knows, if the next Xbox and PS actually do not allow used games to be used, then I don't see GS lasting much longer.
    just learn to work around their system

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks

they can only barrow used games

Thanks

I have a question to put forth to the forums. Would you buy an open game for full price? I mean if someone unwrapped, opened the case, removed the contents and did something with them, and then tried to sell you an open case and a disc in a paper sleeve would you consider it new or used?
    In my opinion its a used game as soon as you open the case, but according to Gamestop its still new and will try to sell it to you for full price. they've tried this on two occasions and then tried to assure me its no big deal when I refused to buy them.
    this fraudulent policy infuriates me, and i believe the person who came up with it deserves a special place in hell (along with the proponent of the $70 "magical" bestbuy hdmi cable)
    GameStop has to put a new game's case on the wall to show that they have it. I have often wondered why they couldn't just use display cases and printed cover art- but that would upset the careful balance the employees need to keep. When there are no more display cases with a barcode on them on the floor, no one will bring an empty case up and then be disappointed when a worker has to tell them that they no longer have that game in stock.
    I worked at a GameStop for a year, and opened plenty of new games and placed them carefully into sleeves and into a drawer. They do not scratch or get man-handled, and work like new- because that is what they are. I do think that if a customer gets the last copy of a new game they should offer at least a 5 or 10% off the new title if they still wish to buy it: but hey! I don't run GameStop.
    I have read so much flak and complaining about GameStop- and I understand. I have had bad experiences with GameStop- even when I worked there. There are stupid knowledgeless employees, even managers! And as wrong as I think that is, I know plenty of serious knowledgeable gamers that work at GameStop. It's not as if you give up a part of your soul to work at a big chain of game stores like Gamestop, and certainly not when you shop there. It provides a forum where like minded people shop, and it was a joy to work where people passionate about gaming came in and talked with me at work. There are plenty of clueless soccer moms and dads, but that's not all Gamestop is. There are people who are gamers that work there. You just have to find them.

I've even heard rumors of them allowing the workers to borrow the games they open for display and bring them home and use them and then they STILL sell it as new!
    Those employees that take codes from games should be fired immediately. I think that's total B.S, and not what Gamestop's about. However, there are some pretty questionable policys. You CAN "rent" a game for up to two days to learn more about it as an employee- even a new game. If the game is scratched scuffed or damaged in any way- you buy it. And at my store- we weren't allowed to check out new games, simply because my manager understands collectors value and although he was required to take new games out of the cases- he kept them in the drawer and in ship shape until they sold.

Yes, it's annoying that the upper management requires that employees have to ask you if you have a PowerUp Rewards card and if you want to pre-order something like- every time you step foot in the store. But on the other hand, it's a pretty neat little program they're running with the PowerUp Rewards points, and I'd gladly pay $15 a year for a subscription to GameInformer, 10% off used games, and access to other cool deals; and Gamestop gets some really cool preorder dlc and extras. Yes I think that that content should be included on the new game, but that is not an argument for this thread. If I have to preorder a game at Gamestop for that gun or buy it there to get that limited edition statue- sure. I'll shop at GameStop.
    I'm not saying you should even shop there. I'm just saying business' have stupid policies and stupid employees sometimes, but that doesn't mean they're all that bad.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I think most people don't realise that the employees are required to try to get you to sign up for the rewards. I do have some sympathy for the employees. Bros gotta work.

Quote Originally Posted by badog
    They do not scratch or get man-handled, and work like new- because that is what they are.
    It's still NOT new and enough to make me not buy new games from them (though are sure they are fine with this since they get big margins from used sales). I just don't get why they can't have one display copy and leave the rest properly sealed.

and I'd gladly pay $15 a year for a subscription to GameInformer, 10% off used games, and access to other cool deal
    10% off already crap prices in most cases. Why would I care about getting 10% off when it's way more to begin with.

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/gam...vesperia/71093
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...es+of+vesperia

Now is this a bit of an extreme example? Yes. Can you find it the other way around? Very rarely, and when that's the case GS gets picked over hard and fast. The majority of the time Gamestop is going to be at least $5 more than online and tax and shipping more or less even out. Oh and I get a biased magazine (lol video game journalism)? Not enough to make me bother.

or buy it there to get that limited edition statue- sure
    I can't remember the last time Gamestop had an exclusive LE that wasn't DLC (the days of cool pre-order bonuses at EB like the Arc the Lad watch are long gone). Feel free to show me. Now they do carry a ton of L/Pes that other stores don't bother with but uh...internet please. Hell sometimes there are internet only LEs that Gamestop doesn't get. I love that.

Plus sometimes Gamestop doesn't call me about a pre-order and just eats my money on it. This was oh 3-4 years ago now but I will still never preorder from them again.

Thanks

I bought FFX a few years ago and they gave me the greatest hits case with the original game and manual (case says Square Enix, while disc and manual say Squaresoft). That didn't bother me that much though but the other way around would, its just black label cases should have black label games. I've also never received an unsealed game, since I buy mostly used, but two used games I bought they gave me brand new factory sealed copies, I guess it was overstock and they were out of used copies. I would also have a great fit if someone handled my disc by touching the top and bottom, a disc should be held by the center and edges. And I have realized that sometimes when you bring an original used case, they'll give you one of there crappy no cover/manual cases and keep the original case if it's their last display case, but you can ask them to keep the original case and they will usually give it to you if you ask.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by unnoticedninja View Post
    And I have realized that sometimes when you bring an original used case, they'll give you one of there crappy no cover/manual cases and keep the original case if it's their last display case, but you can ask them to keep the original case and they will usually give it to you if you ask.
    I'll just refuse to buy it if they won't give me a real case with real artwork. It's happened before.

As an aside I do care about real cases for PS2 games released in the case with the memory card holder, PS1 games released in the double cases with no CD holder and the PS logo on one side because of an oversized manual as well as any other game that came in a unique case.

Thanks

10% off already crap prices in most cases. Why would I care about getting 10% off when it's way more to begin with.
    touche.jpg
    Although it goes both ways: as you said, the internet is a way cheaper way to go.

I think Gamestop was the only place to get the Gears of War 3 Epic Edition, although Walmart had the Limited. A recent DLC was Brink's DOOM pack; (but really, who played Brink?!?) And was that for sale later? I didn't think so, but I don't know. It seems like there's always a little skin or gun that is a Gamestop exclusive, but everything really important just goes on sale.

As for calling GameInformer a biased magazine you are right; but where in this world will you find a publication that isn't biased one way or another? There are a million reviews online at any given time for free, but I rather enjoy the sense of humor found in GameInformer. They have a witty and intelligent approach to presenting articles that is enjoyable. And their reviews of games are just that: Reviews. It's one person sharing their opinion on a game they played, with other people. To not read something because you heard it is "biased" presents you with a very narrow view of the world.
    Plus I like having something to physically carry around keep me filled in when I'm not around internet. But $15 is $15, so I can understand not wanting to try it because of finances.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

oh noez people selling games made it harder to steal games while still giving u ur game dey teh devilz

Thanks

gypsy - oh i know the feeling all to well with the gamestop cases....*scours ebay looking for official cases/etc*
    badog - you know they're doing away with physical game mags now since the internet is where its at for gaming news...EGM,etc have they're magazine articles on site now.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by badog1000 View Post
    I think Gamestop was the only place to get the Gears of War 3 Epic Edition, although Walmart had the Limited. A recent DLC was Brink's DOOM pack; (but really, who played Brink?!?) And was that for sale later? I didn't think so, but I don't know. It seems like there's always a little skin or gun that is a Gamestop exclusive, but everything really important just goes on sale.
    I was specifically talking about physical contents. It seems every store these days gives you different free bonus DLC. I remember specifically the Gears 3 Epic Edition being on Amazon because I trolled a friend with the link. If you are talking about brick and mortar only I think Gamestop was the only store to carry it. I'm not by any means a Gears fan and did not purchase the game at all so I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by badog1000 View Post
    As for calling GameInformer a biased magazine you are right; but where in this world will you find a publication that isn't biased one way or another? There are a million reviews online at any given time for free, but I rather enjoy the sense of humor found in GameInformer. They have a witty and intelligent approach to presenting articles that is enjoyable. And their reviews of games are just that: Reviews. It's one person sharing their opinion on a game they played, with other people. To not read something because you heard it is "biased" presents you with a very narrow view of the world.
    Plus I like having something to physically carry around keep me filled in when I'm not around internet. But $15 is $15, so I can understand not wanting to try it because of finances.
    Yeah I'm just not interested in reading review magazines. I would agree with you that most people have some kind of axe to grind even if it's just against 1 or 2 things/people/companies.

It's not the amount of money, $15 is a drop in the bucket. It's the amount of value I would get out of it. So if I'm not going to read the magazine, and I do maybe 10% of my used game game shopping game Gamestop (including other stores and the internet but not garage sales etc...this is an estimate, I buy used at Gamestop a fair bit but I do a great deal more purchasing elsewhere) then it's just not good value for me. Now that's just me and I'm sure what is a great value to me (ESPN Insider for easy access to advanced statistics, more in-depth analysis, prediction machine etc) would be laughed at by some.

Edit: I think we are mostly on the same side here saying that Gamestop has their flaws but is fine overall and what store doesn't have flaws. Without them there are many games that would not get as big of exposure. They carry all the low-tier titles. Someone has to do that. For example something like Halo 4 is a AAA title that everyone will carry but Gamestop carries plenty of titles the average "gamer" doesn't even know about.
    Last edited by Gypsy; 9th-May-2012 at 22:01.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp-Luc Picard View Post
    I think most people don't realise that the employees are required to try to get you to sign up for the rewards. I do have some sympathy for the employees. Bros gotta work.

It's still NOT new and enough to make me not buy new games from them (though are sure they are fine with this since they get big margins from used sales). I just don't get why they can't have one display copy and leave the rest properly sealed.

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/gam...vesperia/71093
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...es+of+vesperia

Now is this a bit of an extreme example? Yes. Can you find it the other way around? Very rarely, and when that's the case GS gets picked over hard and fast. The majority of the time Gamestop is going to be at least $5 more than online and tax and shipping more or less even out. Oh and I get a biased magazine (lol video game journalism)? Not enough to make me bother.

I can't remember the last time Gamestop had an exclusive LE that wasn't DLC (the days of cool pre-order bonuses at EB like the Arc the Lad watch are long gone). Feel free to show me. Now they do carry a ton of L/Pes that other stores don't bother with but uh...internet please. Hell sometimes there are internet only LEs that Gamestop doesn't get. I love that.

Plus sometimes Gamestop doesn't call me about a pre-order and just eats my money on it. This was oh 3-4 years ago now but I will still never preorder from them again.
    good think the canadian gamestop/EBgames is WAY better than the american version. Tales of Vesp is only $9.99 here (if you can find it) i have 3 copies cause i dont trust my 360 scratching it

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Spicer View Post
    good think the canadian gamestop/EBgames is WAY better than the american version.
    No, just no. Certainly we occasionally get some games cheaper than our US cousins. But most every game will be cheaper in the US, and they have plenty of those large discrepancies in their favor:
    http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-el+shaddai
    http://www.ebgames.ca/browse?nav=16k-el+shaddai

Add to that the fact that they get countless pre-order goods that we don't, special editions that we don't, and even games that we don't...
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks

Maybe I am the wrong person to post this, as GameStop does pay my bills, but I think the reasoning some of you are giving is dumb. Now don't get me wrong, I don't blame you for not wanting an open stock game. You need to understand that by definition opening a game does NOT make it used, it makes it opened. It's only plastic, so unless you don't plan on opening it, it won't be on there for long anyway. You are well within your rights to decline the game, but you cannot call it used just based on that. That said it's no secret that we are able to check out new games, a practice I personally disagree with and do not partake in personally (unless its MY personal preorder copy that I plan on buying with my next pay), but using the in game code is COMPLETELY against the rules. One guy did this with a new copy of Battlefield 3 at my store and we fired him. No discussion (other than when I told the store manager about it. Kinda was a snitch but it's my job ), no excuses (and he had a LOT), no second chances. Again not disagreeing with not wanting the new copy, just disagreeing with those who call it used.

For your reference: used/yo͞ozd/
    Adjective:
    Having already been used: "scrawling on the back of a used envelope".
    Secondhand: "a used car".

As the game was never PLAYED it is not used. At least in a perfect world where they take that ability away from people. My point is that taking the plastic off of a game does not make it used and thinking that it does is kinda foolish. Feel free to prove me wrong though, if you have an argument besides "I'm the customer, and blah blah blah my way blah blah" or "it's used because i say so and blah blah blah", because while you being a customer gives you the right to decline the gut copy, it does NOT give you the right to change the definition of a word entirely.