Thread: working psx backup playing

Thanks

Lightbulb working psx backup playing

Does anybody know if this method of playing backups works? I downloaded it from kazaa.

Part 1: What you need

To successfully copy a playstation game you will need a few things:
    CD writer
    Burning Software
    Blank CD-R
    Actual Game CD
    A PSX Disc
    Glue or Blue Tac
    COMPUTER!!!
    Ok lets start with the first item. You will need a CD writer that is capable of writing at speeds of atleast 2x (300kb per sec). The read speed really doesnt matter much but it should be atleast 16x for time purposes. It is best that your CD writer supports the burning of RAW data files but it isn't necessary. If you dont know what raw data burning is, dont worry it won't make a big difference.
    If you CD writer supports RAW burning then you are in luck. You can pretty much use any good copying software available. If your CD writer deosnt support RAW data formats then you will have to select from a narrower selection of burning software. The best software I've used so far is the Nero Burning Rom Software. This software works on just about any CD Writer available(even the ones that don't support RAW data). Well I know what your saying right now and it is..."HaHa I have adaptec software i don't need anything else!". Well your wrong. Adaptec software my be good for older game burning but I have never succesfully burned a new game with Adaptec. Heres WHY: Sony writes in blank blocks of data on the game CD to seperate the actual game from the music, and also to stop cd readers from reading the game correctly. Most commercial CD burning software CANNOT fully read playstation discs. Once again i suggest the NERO Burning ROM software.
    Most people don't understand about the colors of the blank CDs and which CD's are better than others. There are 3 main colors used in Blank CD-R's. First is Gold, then Blue, then Green. I used to htink that the darker the CD the better. This is true to small extent. The order of the quality is Gold, Blue, Green (Gold being the best). The newer Green CD's are bieng mixed with a more reflective silver backing which makes the CD color turn light blue. Don't be fooled, this is still a green CD. The playstation reads all the CD's but it's best that you only use Gold CD's.
    You need the game CD to copy off of.
    You will need a real PSX disc to be used as a boot disc to start up the playstation. This disc needs to be playable by the your playstation.
    You will need some sort of glue or Blue tac to keep the button, in the far right corner of where you insert the PSX disc, down
    You also need a computer!!! You should have about a gig of hardrive space availible before you burn PSX games.

Part 2: Playstation Info
    Some useful things to know are centered around the layout of the PSX disc.
    First thing you must know is that Burned PSX games can be played on the playstation but not without using a methid called (Hong-Kong Switch Method.) I will explain this later.
    Next you must know about the structure of the CD. CDs are made from burning blocks of data onto the CD. There is usually about 3000 blocks of data on a cd(give or take a few hundred). Now usually on the middle of the CD there are broken blocks of data. These are put there to stop the Burning software to read the rest of the disc and it also prevents errors of the sound mixing with the game data and making the data unreadable by the PSX. You will notice that as you're copying the game, it may seem like the software stopped copying but it hasn't. If the percentage of reading done stops for a while, you know that the software is reading the bad blocks. This is the one part that takes the longest. If you use adaptec CD software, your software will not correctly copy the CD data in most cases. Once again get Nero.

Part 3: Burning the CD
    This part is self explanatory. Just make sure that you use the copy CD option of the software you are using and NOT any other options. This is because using the copy CD option basically makes a perfect copy of the CD. It will also work if you put the CD to an image file on your hard drive. The main thing you want to avoid is manully taking the data from the CD, putting it on your hard drvie, and burning the data from your hard drive. This method wil not work about 99.99% of the time. Like I said before... your CD-ROM drive cannot manually read all of the data and can only do so during an actual CD copying session.

Part 4laying the CD
    This is the really hard part. There are several methods used but I will introduce only 2 of them.
    CD Menu Method (Works with about 85% of CD-R games)-
    You just turn on the playstation without inserting a disc. Then go into the CD player mode. Leave the CD door open for now. Now insert your boot disc(any playstation disc that works on your playstation). Hold the lid button (located on the far right corner of where you put the disc in) with some sort of glue or Blue Tac. Now after the disc loads, switch the boot disc with your copied disc and exit the music player menu. With the glue still on the lid button, just close the CD lid and the game should start. The drawbacks of this method are that the most amount of music tracks that your PSX will read are the same amount of music tracks on your boot disc. So you may have some sound problems.
    White Sony Screen Method (Works with about 99% of CD-R games)-
    Put the Blue tac or glue on the lid buton (far right corner fo the PSX, directly under the back of the CD lid). Now put in the boot disc. Start up the PSX with the lid open and as soon as you hit the start button count...1...2...3...4..and switch the boot disc with the CD-R(This should be 'just' before the White Sony screen appears). It's hard to get the timing perfect but when you do, this is the best method. There are no drawbacks to my knowledge but the fact that this method takes a little time to master.

gotenks_2322 Guest

yea i have this to. everything is pretty much correct from what iv tested.

Crayoneater Guest

the two methods mentioned only work with the older psx models.
    for the newer psx models you can use the swap trick that is mentioned in the newbie faq at www.emuparadise.com/help
    this method works with all psx models(i think), and is not very hard. i dont know if this method works with a psone(the plauystation 1 version that came out after the ps2 was made).

Thanks

I heard from somewhere that the swap trick is supposed to be harmful to the playstation. Does anybody know if this is true?
    Last edited by omni_rom; 11th-August-2002 at 02:47.

RaNDOM Guest

theoretically, yes. pulling the CD out of the Playstation while it's on can do just about everything from scratching the CD to ruining the laser that the PSX uses to read the CD to frying the motherboard. That's just theoretically, though; stuff that the manual will warn you about. Pulling the CD out of the PSX while it's on is dangerous to the game, however, no matter how careful you are about it, but it's like the old console systems. For example, take the NES--You were supposed to wait a minimum of 7 seconds after turning it off before you turned it back on, or you could possibly screw up the cartridge or the console. There was also the dreaded "No Flicking the Reset Button" rule about cartridges like Zelda that could save their games. You also didn't want to rip the cartridge out while the system was on, because you could damage both the game and the console in doing so. So, technically, removing the CD while the Playstation is on can cause harm to the CD, but if you're going to do it and you're careful about it, you should be able to perform a 'Swap Trick', no problems.