Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Console Controls or PC Controls?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default Console Controls or PC Controls?

Which do you prefer?

I don't see how someone can think console controls are somehow superior. With PC controls, you can remap the controls or, switch to a controller and remap the controls. You can use specialized peripherals, like a racing wheel or flight stick, without having to worry about whether or not it's compatible or all the features will work (barring strange driver issues).
    Last edited by Slacker Magician; 21st-April-2012 at 17:51.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'd prefer PC controls. As you said,you can map the controls, better controls to a good game makes an great game.
    Plus console controls have this absurd need to use "every" button possible on the controller, and if the controls suck, their control schemes make it worse.
    But this is my opinion.
    I might edit to expand more onto the flaws of console controls.

"I am... Sheik. One of the last of the Sheikah tribe..."

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Switching from analog sticks to a mouse was like shooting without a blindfold for the first time.

The only way that consoles have an advantage is the newer controllers like the Kinect. Once this is fully integrated or emulated on PC, there will again be no contest. Besides, PC will be capable of supporting thought-operated controls and VR interface long before a powerful enough console can be mass produced.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shardnax View Post
    Which do you prefer?
    This whole thing again? It really depends on the game or application you are using. For most RPGs, I prefer console since the button layout is simplistic enough to not need a 50 button layout and I like not reaching for buttons on the keyboard if I don't need to, while shooters pretty much required them barring an auto-aim help feature Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare players are used too.

Overall, I prefer PC Controls because of the numerous things you can do with them. Console controls for the console system itself doesn't have the ability for Macros, yet the PC does and it can save a lot of headache. Plus there is that whole remapping thing and being able to force remapping with tools like Joy2Key or Xpadder if need be. A lot more variety along with a few more hassles for your hand. The Xbox Shadowrun proved the difference and helped caused the decision for Microsoft to stop trying PC+Xbox gaming.

Thanks

PC's are all around better than consoles in general( graphics, controles, quality, ect.)but due to consoles strangle hold on the industry, they outsell pc everey time.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by killerklown View Post
    PC's are all around better than consoles in general( graphics, controles, quality, ect.)but due to consoles strangle hold on the industry, they outsell pc everey time.
    Since 2009, PC game revenues have increased while console game revenues have decreased. 2010 marked the first recent shift in trends where more money was generated through PC game sales than console games.
    source

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Thanks
    EP Points

I prefer console controls. I just find it a lot easier to play using a game console controller. Of course using PC controls isn't bad, but the majority type of games I play, I don't really need a whole keyboard or mouse to play. I also prefer playing games on a console, sure there are advantages to playing games on PC, being to setup the control scheme like you like, and modding, but I just enjoy playing on consoles more. Plus you don't have to worry about the game's requirements when playing on console.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Console's controls are better. they fit in hands better. We don't have to look at them that much for playing. We can break them while playing if we lose. They are cheaper than keyboard. That's why some people buy controllers for their pc too but not all games support controllers.

Thanks
    EP Points

I connect console controllers to a Mayflash USB adaptor and then remap the controls when playing games on the PC. I hate using a mouse and keyboard.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kool Aid Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Depends on the game - FPS, I go with Keyboard+Mouse. For a game with a 3rd Person View + Camera Control - Gamepad.

Thanks

Depends on the type of game. For any FPS or FPRPG (i.e. Fallout 3, Elder Scrolls) or any 3rd Person RPG (i.e. The Witcher), keyboard/mouse all day every day.

Some titles, like Assassin's Creed or Arkham City, etc., I haven't played on keyboard/mouse, so I'm curious to whether or not I'd like it. But the advantage of PC is, if I don't, I can plug in a wired 360 controller, or use MotionInJoy with a PS3 controller (see below) and set the profile to an emulated 360 controller, which makes it plug and play with PC games. Granted all games don't offer plug and play controller support, but if you get a game for console and yearn for a keyboard and mouse, you're screwed 100% of the time, at least sometimes you can use a controller on PC.

For old-school games on emulators:
    I used a PS3 Controller (just bought it for this purpose, don't own a PS3) with a bluetooth dongle and MotioninJoy to connect the PS3 controller to the PC via bluetooth. I use this setup for any NES, SNES, any of the gameboys, game gear (though I've never emulated it), PSX, PS2, etc.
    For fighting games, I use a genuine Sega Saturn Model 2 controller (best fighting game controller ever) with a Mayflash Saturn/N64/PS(2? can't remember) 3-way USB adapter. I use this controller for any Genesis/Saturn games as well.
    For N64 games, I use a genuine N64 controller with said mayflash adapter.
    If I ever end up emulating GameCube, I'll use a genuine gamecube controller with a different 3-way USB adapter from Mayflash (GC, Xbox, PS2).
    If I was going to emulate Dreamcast, I could use either the PS3 controller, Saturn controller, or the Saturn 3D pad which is what the DC controller is based off of, or a DC controller if I could find a USB adapter for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Console controls, of course.

Thanks
    EP Points

For fps, mouse is rule.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Muscab View Post
    For fps, mouse is rule.
    yeah, playing fps games with mouse is lot more easy but we get used to it.
    My cousin beaten many FPS games in Normal settings with a touch pad. Isn't it strange?

Thanks
    EP Points

Depends on the game I'm playing. I usually use a USB controller (my wired 360 controller) for the majority of PC titles I've played so far; this also includes emulation. Some certain games and RTS titles I use mouse/keyboard.

Mainly just boils down to what I feel most comfortable using. I'm not a big PC gamer so using a controller feels more natural.