Thread: Mario Sunshine Game Breaking Emulation Glitch

Thanks

Default Mario Sunshine Game Breaking Emulation Glitch

Hi everyone, how's it going?

I ran into a game breaking glitch while emulating Mario Sunshine on Dolphin. I tried both these sources and ran into the same problem. It might be two uploads of the same file for all I know, however.

epforums.org/showthread.php?75142-Super-Mario-Sunshine-NTSC-U
    emuparadise.me/Nintendo_Gamecube_ISOs/Super_Mario_Sunshine/66410

As for the actual glitch:

Anyone who's played the game should immediately notice the problem: Mario is slipping on slime that isn't supposed to be there. Now you might think this is only a visual bug, like I initially.
    But I soon realised it isn't. Any area that's covered in slime when you enter the level effectively stays covered in slime, no matter how much water you spray it with, even if looks deceive.

Even after I beat the boss in the pictures and all of the slime was supposed to disappear along with all enemies, it didn't. That bubble effect kept appearing and it kept spawning those enemies.

So yeah, as you can tell the game is really taking the piss, so if anyone has any bright ideas to share, I'd really appreciate it.

EDIT:
    I'll add that I've never encountered this glitch, playing my actual copy on a gamecube.

Also, after trying it again I encountered a few more peculiar anomalies:

1. The glitch happens at random. Rarely, it actually ends up working as intended.
    2. The slime quickly turns invisible and untouchable after entering a level without ever spraying it in the first place.
    3. In the place in the pictures the invisible slime still sometimes emerges at random long after beating the boss and regardless of the fact I've left the hub world several times.
    4. The slime that enemies spread is completely ineffectual but goes away when sprayed at, usually...
    5. Saving a state makes that enemy slime disappear. Now that I know that, it occurs to me that it might have something to do with save states. I'll test this further.

On a slightly different note, there's another non-game-breaking glitch that I might as well mention.

Most transitions become transparent and look like scan lines, as soon as you use a higher resolution or AA. I recon there's no avoiding this, but if someone knows a fix, that'd be neat.

Fun fact: There's yet another glitch that sometimes makes Mario squint normally like in this here picture as if he's in pain. Makes him look like an East-Asian stereotype...

EDIT #420: Ok, looks like I found the problem. It's because of the memory card. I'm assuming that was the solution since it worked after I sorted that.
    Which is weird, cause considering this is the US version of the game, the US memory card wouldn't work but now the EU one does. This shit is bananas... in pajamas.

That's it for this glitch I guess, but I recon one could keep this thread around for Mario Sunshine glitches and such.

EDIT #9001: So the memory card thing solved the slime problem, but save states still make the slime disappear, so you got yourself a neat little trick up your sleeve to get rid of the slime.

And yet another update: Seems like these slime glitches are linked to several factors. Some apparently a bit random. Turns out they're mostly related to the api used and the EFB copies. By playing around with these settings you can trigger lots of different glitches like the infamous wandering slime, gliding about making things either a lot easier or downright impossible depending on the mission and the kind of slime.
    Last edited by mumbler; 27th-April-2012 at 12:57.

Thanks
    EP Points

I uploaded the first link that you gave, and it was a different file. I use the iso that I uploaded and there was no glitch at all. I can help you out if you like. You might have one of those options that cause glitches in the configure menu ticked.

Edit: Go to the Dolphin Wiki page for Super Mario Sunshine by right-clicking on the game banner (if you have browsed for that ISO) and clicking on wiki or go the the dolphin wiki manually. You will see that your problem is right there.
    Last edited by ndsplayer19576; 26th-May-2012 at 17:38.