Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Software to make my own NES/SNES roms?

Thanks

Default Software to make my own NES/SNES roms?

If this has been asked somewhere else, please link me the post. I can't seem to find a definite answer to this question.

My question is, is there any piece of GameMaker-like software that allows you to program/design your own NES/SNES roms? I have found a lot of resources for hacking roms, but none for creating one.

If that software isn't available (which I don't think it is), is there a guide anywhere that explains how to make a NES or SNES rom from the ground up? I am a Java programmer familiar with GUIs, and familiar with AS2 flash game design, but don't know where to begin when it comes to building a rom.

Is any of this possible?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

All I know about this is that you will have to learn ASM. that will suck, but let me know when you do.

Thanks

Thank you, I have no clue how ASM works but I was able to find this article using it as a keyword: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Super_N...ation_Tutorial
    It's a full tutorial for making a SNES rom that displays a background color. Guess I'm in for a lot more work than I thought but it seems like too cool of a home project to not try.

Here is the awesome looking entire guide, very recently updated: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Super_NES_Programming

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It will be a very difficult project, but most likely invaluable if you learn the language. Vintage game buffs like me pay out the ass for a "new" vintage games.
    When you get something working, I can put it on a cartridge for you.

Thanks

That would be awesome, and a dream come true. Now that I found all the proper documentation I'm going to start working and will keep everyone updated. If I ever do give up or slow down, I will definitely make all of my code/project public for others to pick it up. Thank you for the help so far.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

What are your ideas?

Thanks

No idea. I'm an RPG fanatic though, so I will probably end down that route if I get this off the ground. For now, my only goal is to get a square that can be moved around the screen. If I can get the programming pulled together to have sprites and walls, etc. all working, I'd definitely be interested in asking others for sprite graphics, ideas, script, etc. I'm not much of a designer, just want to test my programming skills.

chrisj99, I found my answer here: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Super_NES_Programming
    After Jazzmarazz brought up the need for ASM.
    Last edited by j33k; 15th-April-2012 at 04:43.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by j33k View Post
    No idea. I'm an RPG fanatic though, so I will probably end down that route if I get this off the ground. For now, my only goal is to get a square that can be moved around the screen. If I can get the programming pulled together to have sprites and walls, etc. all working, I'd definitely be interested in asking others for sprite graphics, ideas, script, etc. I'm not much of a designer, just want to test my programming skills.
    Make sure to share all progress!

Also, you can edit your last post if you have something more to add, rather than double posting.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    Also, you can edit your last post if you have something more to add, rather than double posting.
    Fixed

It took me a few hours but I compiled a working .smc file that shows a green background color, so I now know how to turn an .asm file and it's required headers into a working rom. Now it's time to actually start exploring .asm programming. I found a tic-tac-toe tutorial that is tile based so I'm going to start looking into simple tile-based games, and adding sprites into them.

I'm also going to set up a wordpress blog to give tutorials on what I'm doing, and so that I have a good reference to what I did the previous night before falling asleep on my keyboard.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by j33k View Post
    Fixed

It took me a few hours but I compiled a working .smc file that shows a green background color, so I now know how to turn an .asm file and it's required headers into a working rom. Now it's time to actually start exploring .asm programming. I found a tic-tac-toe tutorial that is tile based so I'm going to start looking into simple tile-based games, and adding sprites into them.

I'm also going to set up a wordpress blog to give tutorials on what I'm doing, and so that I have a good reference to what I did the previous night before falling asleep on my keyboard.
    Well, good for you. That was pretty quick.

Thanks
    EP Points

Might be a bit pricey, but there's a new SNES flash cart out. You'd be able to test your stuff on a real console.
    http://www.foundmy.com/oscom/superuf...tor-p-474.html

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    Well, good for you. That was pretty quick.
    Thank you, I'll update everyone once I've made more progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    Might be a bit pricey, but there's a new SNES flash cart out. You'd be able to test your stuff on a real console.
    Definitely something to look into when I have a finished product, thank you.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    Actually, that is cheaper than the other models available. None of the others offer dumping services either!

Thanks

Here's a little IDE for Nes programming:
    https://github.com/cacciatc/happiNES-dev

You'll still need to know a bit about assembly, but assembler for 8-bit and 16-bit processors is relatively easy to learn unlike x86 x64 assembler.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MegaVolt View Post
    Here's a little IDE for Nes programming:
    https://github.com/cacciatc/happiNES-dev

You'll still need to know a bit about assembly, but assembler for 8-bit and 16-bit processors is relatively easy to learn unlike x86 x64 assembler.
    Thank you, I'm definitely going to check that out once I get the chance. I assembled a SNES ROM from a tutorial I found, and wrote my own Windows tutorial based on that here: makeSNES.wordpress.com. Now that I've found a lot of good SNES resources, I'm probably going to stick with that.
    makeSNES, tutorials & talk on SNES game development: makeSNES.wordpress.com