Thread: Trying to get a game to work on PSX

Thanks

Default Trying to get a game to work on PSX

When I was a lot younger I used to play the game Tomba II for playstation one. My brother and I loved that game, and I was here thinking one day "why not download it." So I got ePSXe and downloaded Tomba! 2 from some website (I don't remember which). I tried the game and it didn't work. ePSXe kept telling me it was missing a .dll file so i got the dll file and tried again, THEN ePSXe kept crashing. Saying it stopped working, I was getting all the more frustrated. I was reading on some forums, and someone told someone else that he had a bad copy of the game and to download anothing copy from a different website. So I tried that, while I was at it I also download MGS1 and Tomba! 1. Those all finished and they ALL crash. Then I tried a different emulator, pSX v1.13. And that worked on Tomba! 1 and MGS 1, but Tomba! 2 kept coming up with "SELECT VIDEOMODE X FOR PAL / 0 FOR NTSC" so I kept googling my problems away. So I have come to figure out that means its cause its pirated. Then someone said there was a patch and a link, which actually broought me to this forum, and there was two types of patches, so i tried both (not at the same time of course) Now when I boot it up in ePSXe it just goes to a black screen and sits there. And pSX v1.13 does the sony intro then when it is suppose to show PS1 logo it just says SONY and Playstation... then it stops. Any ideas guys? -.- as you can believe, i've reached my limit for googling and I can't find any more information. (

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ouch, I can calmly say I download all roms/iso's that are, of good quality from emuparadise.me
    I guess you would probably need a different video plugin for ePSXe, it's literally the best of the best emulators for the PS1.
    Try that first, find a good video plugin that works for you, and maybe the problem will be fixed.

"I am... Sheik. One of the last of the Sheikah tribe..."

Thanks

Okay. I ran into another problem unrelated to the game. I was selecting a bunch of stuff in my folder (I ran out of room on my HDD) and I deleted all of it, because it was over 35GB it said it couldn't send to the recycling bin and it would just delete it. So I clicked Yes. Then found out i made a mistake and highlighted my emulation folder as well (ALL my games -.-) so I had to redownload ePSXe and I couldn't find the copy I had of Tomba! 2 so I downloaded a different one, but this one has three files, a .ccd, a .img.ecm, and then a .sub. On another forum, they said the other ones are useless and its the .ccd file you want. But its 1KB... Where the img.ecm is close to 200mb... But epsxe only recognizes the ccd file. Do I have to redownload another copy? Cause that'd suck... I have slow country internet (100kbp/s download)

I also googled the video plugin thing SwordofTime mentioned and I didn't find much on it :\ What is it exactly and how do i change it?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

*Ahem* You would want the img.ecm file (<that's the important one). But I don't recommend deleting any files that came with the game. You must use the ECM tools located in the PSX section, (usually right on the window before you go to the download window)this unpacks the encrypted file into an iso file that ePSXe can read.

Also, did you Google ePSXe plugins, there's a lot of them out there. I was just saying plugins because, your graphics card might just read differently.
    Or just use the recommended plugins already in ePSXe and tweak the setting .
    Does this help at all?
    Last edited by Sheik; 15th-April-2012 at 02:29. Reason: Fixing.

Thanks

That does help. I actually figured it out about the ECM tool okay. Im back to "SELECT VIDEOMODE X FOR PAL / 0 FOR NTSC" Im going to try those patches on this forum and see if either of them work this time around. Then I will try to video plugins. (I'll keep ya posted)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Danton Belmain View Post
    That does help. I actually figured it out about the ECM tool okay. Im back to "SELECT VIDEOMODE X FOR PAL / 0 FOR NTSC" Im going to try those patches on this forum and see if either of them work this time around. Then I will try to video plugins. (I'll keep ya posted)
    OK i will try to be informative, I've been confused about emulating before as well.

Thanks

nope. still a black screen when i turn it on. At one point I got a white box in the top right corner saying "Analog is off" and it shows the button in the center of the old ps paddles. I am using a PS3 controller on my computer, but i don't think it has anything to do with the game :\ Not sure. but yeah. back to the black screen. '-.-

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Damn, I'm sorry i wasn't more helpful.

What video plugin you're using, try to play another game on it. If it don't works we've got a problem, if it do works' your game wasn't burned correctly and you just may have to track a copy down.

Thanks

I actually got the copy from this website. It'll be the 3rd copy i've tried. I will download another psx game (cause i deleted all mines cause im the perfect idiot) and try it out

I guess I was on an old outdated page of game downloads on this website, I went to the new list, and found 2 version of Tomba! 2. one is NTSC and the other is PAL... whats the difference and which should I get? (im also working on trying a different game)

EDIT: Someone said it had to do with location... I'm in the USA.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 15th-April-2012 at 09:32.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I actually got the copy from this website. It'll be the 3rd copy i've tried. I will download another psx game (cause i deleted all mines cause im the perfect idiot) and try it out
    Go for it and see if I'm wrong.

Thanks

I downloaded Chrono Trigger for psx and it worked on epsxe. So it must be just Tomba! 2. :\ Im downloading another version right now from this website, we will see soon enough if it was a bad file i kept downloading. Im assuming all the other ones was the same one just on different websites. This one I dont think is, cause it was in 3 parts... which it never was before and its also a different size all together. Who knows.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Tomba & Tomba 2 works in epsxe v.1.7.0 with the configuration posted in the PSX Datacenter. Try with the configuration posted for that game.
    http://psxdatacenter.emuparadise.me

Anyway try mounting the bin+cue in a virtual drive and run the game as run cdrom, but i think that it works also as run iso.

Thanks

thanks Guys! I got it working Yea! Excitedness ^.^ Been years since i played this. I think the last time PS2 was barely out for a year. lol

Thanks
    EP Points

Okay. I ran into another problem unrelated to the game. I was selecting a bunch of stuff in my folder (I ran out of room on my HDD) and I deleted all of it, because it was over 35GB it said it couldn't send to the recycling bin and it would just delete it. So I clicked Yes. Then found out i made a mistake and highlighted my emulation folder as well (ALL my games -.-) so I had to redownload ePSXe and I couldn't find the copy I had of Tomba! 2 so I downloaded a different one, but this one has three files, a .ccd, a .img.ecm, and then a .sub. On another forum, they said the other ones are useless and its the .ccd file you want. But its 1KB... Where the img.ecm is close to 200mb... But epsxe only recognizes the ccd file. Do I have to redownload another copy? Cause that'd suck... I have slow country internet (100kbp/s download)

I also googled the video plugin thing SwordofTime mentioned and I didn't find much on it :\ What is it exactly and how do i change it?
    Sorry, a bit late with replying here but, you definitely do NOT want to delete the .CCD and .SUB Files.

These files are both necessary for a lot of games on the PSX, because it contains subchannel data like audio, etc. Badly ripped games are usually only ISOs and they are missing this important data, causing the emulator to not work properly with them. Some examples would be Resident Evil games, Tomb Raider games, etc. Especially Tomb Raider games are super picky with how the game is ripped. So keep that in mind for any future game you plan to download. CCD/IMG/SUB is basically the best ripping method available for PSX games.
    YouTube (Gameplay Videos)
    Intel Core i5-4670k @ 3.40GHz | Radeon HD 7850 | 6GB DDR3-1333 | 120GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 640 GB HDD