Thread: PCSX2 can't run my games right/runs buggy and slow

Thanks

Question PCSX2 can't run my games right/runs buggy and slow

Well, i recently found my Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies CD, and decided to install PCSX2. The game was perfectly conserved, no scratches or anything.
    As i'm unfamiliar with that emulator (though, honestly, ePSXe and Dolphin are WAY easier to config and use) i loaded the settings that worked best for my system.
    Hey, i'm not banging rocks together here. I know what i'm doing.
    Well, here are my system specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
    2x Intel Celeron CPU E3200 @ 2.40GHz and 2.41GHz.
    4GB RAM
    nVidia GeForce 9500 GT
    32 bit system

I have been told before that my CPU is crap, and, IKR? Not everyone can make their money virtual.

This is how the PCSX2 is configured for me:
    Spoiler warning:
    EE/IOP:
    EmotionEngine:Recomplier
    IOP:Recomplier
    EE/FPU:
    Round mode:Chop/Zero
    Clamping:none

VUs:
    VU0:microVUrecomplier
    VU1:microVUrecomplier
    Advanced:
    Round mode:Chop/Zero
    Clamping:none

GS:
    Base Framerate Adjust:100%
    Slow motion:50%
    Turbo:200%
    FrameSkipping:Turbo Only(TAB)

GS Window:
    Window size:640x480 (too slow in anything higher)
    Zoom:100.0

GS Plugin:GSDX9
    Renderer: D3D9 (Hardware)
    Intrelacing: None
    Resolution(custom):640x480
    Filterings and other options:everything off except 8-bit textures allowing.

audio: SPU2-X
    Interpolation:Linear
    Module: DirectSound
    Reverb Boost factor:1X
    Synchronizing mode:TimeStretch
    Audio expansion mode: Stereo

Dev9:none

USB:none

Firewire:none

Still, even with my best efforts to make the game run correctly, it runs completely crazily:
    -No Sky;i see a big black screen instead
    -Missing textures
    -Incompletely rendered(?) models;even the aircraft can't render right. Even the ground renders like a black landscape with gray/untextured buildings.
    -DRAMATICALLY low FPS; i get 50-70 on menus, but in-game/cutscenes i get 15-20 FPS.

So, what am i doing wrong?
    Last edited by OrbiterSpore; 5th-April-2012 at 11:02.

Thanks
    EP Points

We will need to know your graphic card. And your system is a bit weak for ps2 emulation anyways. i have a problem on my 3.2 duo. with 4 gb ram.

Thanks

I have a nVidia GeForce 9500 GT. Edited main post.

Thanks
    EP Points

From what I know, the game is actually a PAL format therefore it is 10 fps slower than NTSC. Thus, the smoothest you can get is 50 fps.
    And, I tell you this, I can run many games of 2005 and below smoothly with an integrated card and dual core of 2.2 GHz. This game was released back in 2001-2002 so, your gpu card should run it really well.
    You have Intel Celeron which mean you got a single core. As far as I concern, PCSX2 doesn't take advantage of single core cpu. Probably the root of your problem.
    I have to stop here. Try different settings..

Thanks
    EP Points

Your CPU is the main problem here, Celeron is not recommended to run PCSX2, it may run some games at playable speed on start but then it'll get slower as you go into menu or scenes,
    plus, this game has lots of graphic problem, and require certain configurations which will cause your speed to drop even more.

Set your EE to Interpreter mode, and hope it will fix some of the graphic glitch(including the sky). Make sure your GSdx was set to Native PS2 Resolution as well, Software mode can fix most of the graphic problem, but not recommended due to your low CPU.
    You might as well try the latest SVN, since GSdx plugin is undergoing major changes, maybe some glitch fix have been implemented for this game.

Thanks

A little info from me. It may not help but I noticed that the recent changes done to GSdx actually made the overall graphics look better
    and AFAIK they managed to put some CRC HackFix that can help with the missing screen in your game, but along the way they did something wrong
    that caused a regression (at least on my PC).

For example tested on last 40+ SVN versions I noticed that on my i5 3.0 GHz Win7 x64 6GB Ram etc. games run with almost half the speed they run on
    version 0.9.8 of PCSX2. Especially in hardware mode DX11.
    (exmple: Dragon Quest 8 -> PCSX2 rev5103 SVN 35fps on the world map, 45fps overall; PCSX2 v0.9.8 rev4800 60fps on the world map, 58 fps overall <-all without hackfixes)
    So my suggestion is to first try stable version 0.9.8 rev4800 before you try the latest SVN.