Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PlayStation 4 to lock out used games

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Aeolus Aeneas View Post
    I can ONLY see this working IF they put every game for the system up for download and reduce the cost as the game ages. The primary reasons as to why people buy used is because they CAN'T get the game new after a certain period of time and because of cost. Offering EVERYTHING for download would solve one problem, and reducing cost would solve the other.

Of course, this is all too common sense for them, so screw you people who want to play older games; just buy the latest crap for 60+ USD (even though most modern games aren't worth half that given how little content we get anymore) and never dare dream of playing anything more than a few months old.
    A six hour (or less) shooter is totally worth throwing my money at .

Quote Originally Posted by treos View Post
    "Gamers will be free to trade in Orbis games, but the person who purchases a second-hand disc will be restricted to a limited trial mode or "some other form of content restriction." These gamers will be forced to pay a fee to unlock the full title, according to the source."

i may be mistaken but is it me or does that sound a bit like a anticounterfeit method? essentially blocking copied games in general. (like roms)

well, its not like i was planning on getting any new console(s) anyway, as with my disliking of newer games so too is my interest in buying them fading :/ if the next gen proves to be this limiting on people then i'll go from 2-4 purchases (like last year) to 0 overall and just stick to roms and emulators entirely... or MMOs
    They want money for demos now? They can go find a dark hole to crawl into.
    Last edited by Slacker Magician; 29th-March-2012 at 20:29.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by treos View Post
    "Gamers will be free to trade in Orbis games, but the person who purchases a second-hand disc will be restricted to a limited trial mode or "some other form of content restriction." These gamers will be forced to pay a fee to unlock the full title, according to the source."
    This is super easy to bypass, all you have to do is commit some minor fraud. Buy your dirt cheap used game from Gamestop (the prices WILL PLUMMET if this is going on), and a new copy from Wal-mart. Tear open your new copy and use it's unlock code or whatever crap they have, then return your new copy claiming it only gave you the demo. Wal-mart will return the defective product to the manufacturer and waste their time and money. In the worst case Wal-mart will insist on exchanges only, and not take returns, at which point you just flip your new-new game for 90% of what you paid on Craigslist
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I like the cut of your jib Ragnar.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    This is super easy to bypass, all you have to do is commit some minor fraud. Buy your dirt cheap used game from Gamestop (the prices WILL PLUMMET if this is going on), and a new copy from Wal-mart. Tear open your new copy and use it's unlock code or whatever crap they have, then return your new copy claiming it only gave you the demo. Wal-mart will return the defective product to the manufacturer and waste their time and money. In the worst case Wal-mart will insist on exchanges only, and not take returns, at which point you just flip your new-new game for 90% of what you paid on Craigslist
    This of course could lead to them implementing a policy where by if you broke the seal, they will not accept a return at all. Then the court cases will start up. Then maybe everybody will see just how stupid this concept is when the root of all this madness comes back onto SONY for being consumer hating asses who have not a single index finger length of sense in their combined old man Japanese heads.

Then we could get somewhere.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Honestly this is really dumb. I don't like the idea of not being able to play used games, and to pay for a demo? That's seriously stupid. -_____-

If they do this, I'm done with Microsoft and Sony. I'll seriously move over to the Wii U. (Can't believe I'm saying that. )

Thanks
    EP Points

im not buying the next gen consoles (ps*4 or the next xbox) until a hack exists to remove the online game security ID.
    It's a good time to gather all the 2nd hand games. they may become rare like n64 carts.

Also, as stated above, not everyone has the internet to sustain a constant connection.
    or
    the ability to have a good net contract like other areas.
    I for one , have net limits at home, 200gig for $100 a month - Australia may not be able to support online DRM based gaming cause of the expense that comes with it.

Anyway , as another thing thats impacted by this move is the price.
    We all know that the companies love money and the user base doesnt mean anything unless we're kissing the ass's in person.

i know the games are cheaper elsewhere, but this is a possible projected outcome for Australian game prices if online DRM.

New xbox360 games can cost upto (for popular titles) $130 aus
    If the 2nd hand market doesnt exist, then there is no competition to keep prices low.
    Instead of say (gamestop or ebgames) lowering there price by $10 or more to entice you to buy new, they may increase it by $10-30 because you have no choice but to pay it tp play it.

It's gonna be a tough hit .....

Thanks

I really hope that this doesn't happen, as rumors float around that Micro$oft is supposedly doing the same thing for their next-gen console; I would rather keep using my XBOX 360. The last thing that I need is buying a new game for $60+ for the next-gen consoles and finding out that the game is bad, and not being able to return it because it was already opened.
    How's it feel being beaten?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by wcanywayz View Post
    im not buying the next gen consoles (ps*4 or the next xbox) until a hack exists to remove the online game security ID.
    It's a good time to gather all the 2nd hand games. they may become rare like n64 carts.

Also, as stated above, not everyone has the internet to sustain a constant connection.
    or
    the ability to have a good net contract like other areas.
    I for one , have net limits at home, 200gig for $100 a month - Australia may not be able to support online DRM based gaming cause of the expense that comes with it.

Anyway , as another thing thats impacted by this move is the price.
    We all know that the companies love money and the user base doesnt mean anything unless we're kissing the ass's in person.

i know the games are cheaper elsewhere, but this is a possible projected outcome for Australian game prices if online DRM.

New xbox360 games can cost upto (for popular titles) $130 aus
    If the 2nd hand market doesnt exist, then there is no competition to keep prices low.
    Instead of say (gamestop or ebgames) lowering there price by $10 or more to entice you to buy new, they may increase it by $10-30 because you have no choice but to pay it tp play it.

It's gonna be a tough hit .....
    You're paying $100 per month for what I assume would be (here) a connection with a half decent speed.
    As a bonus you get a data cap with either excess data fees or a speed reduction

If you don't care about online gaming (or streaming videos, etc) and just want your connection for browsing, downloading stuff and grabbing updates you get a cheaper package (slower max speed, but no data cap).

Yeah, new console games are expensive here......but if you avoid buying them all on release they aren't that bad imo.
    Although some titles take a while to come down.

It's just a matter of being sensible and shopping around

PS: I live in the same general area as you

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

I haven't been this disappointed since Bobby Kotick ended the entire GH franchise (Guitar Hero) just so he could more development and money for CoD.

I'm not looking forward to next-gen gaming, I predict a surge of PC gamers in the coming years.

Thanks
    EP Points

If it weren't for used games, I never would have started playing games to begin with. My family was pretty poor growing up, and we couldn't afford very many things full price, especially not luxuries like videogames. I think only about two of the games we had for our Mega Drive were bought brand new, and they were bought right at the end of its life when my dad had graduated university and we had a little more money. Everything else came from second hand stores, usually after it had fallen to less than a quarter of its original retail price. I can afford to buy games new now (I prefer it, actually), but it's shocking that Sony are effectively pushing out kids in the same position as we were growing up.

Also, the charity shops here make a good deal of money off of game donations. Whenever there are games in the window of our local one, they tend to be gone almost overnight. Way to go, guys. In your zeal to crush dem evil used games vendors, you're also going to be taking a nice chunk of money away from good causes. :/

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrun View Post
    I haven't been this disappointed since Bobby Kotick ended the entire GH franchise (Guitar Hero) just so he could more development and money for CoD.
    No, that was because they did exactly to Guitar Hero what they're currently doing to CoD, overstaurating the market.

As for the topic at hand, if it is true, Sony can fuck themselves with the sharp end of a rake. I'm this close from quitting gaming just because of bullshit like this, treating a customer like a fucking criminal.

Thanks

Next PlayStation to lock out used games, report says

Sony's 2013-dated new console supposedly codenamed Orbis, will boast system that locks games to single PSN account, with no backwards compatibility for PS3 library planned.

Buckle up, Sony enthusiasts. A tipster has told Kotaku that the PlayStation 4 is named "Orbis," and that it will feature an anti-used game system, offer no backwards compatibility with PlayStation 3 titles, and ship in holiday 2013.
    Orbis is just a code-name…or is it?

Orbis is just a code-name…or is it?

As for the first part of the rumor, multiple sources told the blog that the Orbis will sport some sort of anti-used games measure. Full Orbis games will be available via Blu-ray disc or as a PlayStation Network download, and will be locked to a single PSN account. Players will not be able to circumvent the system by remaining offline, as the source said users will be forced to be connected to the PSN to boot up their games.

Gamers will be free to trade in Orbis games, but the person who purchases a second-hand disc will be restricted to a limited trial mode or "some other form of content restriction." These gamers will be forced to pay a fee to unlock the full title, according to the source.

An earlier report suggested Microsoft's next-generation Xbox would also include some method of blocking gamers from playing used titles. Microsoft has not commented on the matter.
    I have not bought pc games because the title required you to have an internet connection just to be able to play it! (and the title in question wasn't even able to be played online) Not everyone has an internet connection and the internet in NZ is expensive and slow (You can't even watch 720p shows on the net because the speed is a third of the reqired bandwith!!) and any console that required you to be online just to boot the game would not be bought by me or anyone else with any sense. What do you do when $ony or M$ decide to end their support for your machine? You have an expensive doorstop and a bunch of worthless discs, thats what!

On the second-hand front I think the whole thing reeks of double dipping. Someone has already paid $ony or M$ their royalty! You can be sure it will cause anti-trust lawsuits like M$ Internet Explorer vs. every other Web browser....

I for one will not be upgradeing to next-gen if these rumours are true!!

Screw the money-hungry corporate behemoths!

Thanks

The fact I still find enjoyment out of games for the SNES only means I'll just start exploring past consoles I never really tried out. Rather than get into next gen gaming I'm just going to buy a PS2 and play all the titles I never really touched. Dark Cloud, Kingdom Hearts (YES, I never actually got around to playing it, sheesh), Rayman, Ninja Gaiden, Prince of Persia, God of War, the list goes on. I can be entertained by third gen gaming for quite awhile, I'm just not gonna throw my money at these greedy bastards anymore.

Thanks

I Hope This Is indeed just a Rumor. But if it isn't I'll just keep Playing PS3 Games on my PS3 Slim Like i Always Do.We'll see what the future holds For Sony And Microsoft.

Thanks

Now if the internet goes down I cannot play video games on the PS4? I have never hooked up a console to the Internet and do not feel that I should have to. What is up with this anti-used game movement? I don't understand why the hate of used games? The resell market will be garbage. I will not buy another Sony system if this is true. I think Sony is going to go downhill. I don't know if this is going to become the norm, but if it is that is really sick.