Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: PlayStation 4 to lock out used games

Thanks
    EP Points

Exclamation PlayStation 4 to lock out used games

Next PlayStation to lock out used games, report says

Sony's 2013-dated new console supposedly codenamed Orbis, will boast system that locks games to single PSN account, with no backwards compatibility for PS3 library planned.

Buckle up, Sony enthusiasts. A tipster has told Kotaku that the PlayStation 4 is named "Orbis," and that it will feature an anti-used game system, offer no backwards compatibility with PlayStation 3 titles, and ship in holiday 2013.
    Orbis is just a code-name…or is it?

Orbis is just a code-name…or is it?

As for the first part of the rumor, multiple sources told the blog that the Orbis will sport some sort of anti-used games measure. Full Orbis games will be available via Blu-ray disc or as a PlayStation Network download, and will be locked to a single PSN account. Players will not be able to circumvent the system by remaining offline, as the source said users will be forced to be connected to the PSN to boot up their games.

Gamers will be free to trade in Orbis games, but the person who purchases a second-hand disc will be restricted to a limited trial mode or "some other form of content restriction." These gamers will be forced to pay a fee to unlock the full title, according to the source.

An earlier report suggested Microsoft's next-generation Xbox would also include some method of blocking gamers from playing used titles. Microsoft has not commented on the matter.

As for backwards compatibility, Kotaku's source says Sony has no plans to offer such a service with the Orbis. This would mark a change in approach for Sony, as the PlayStation 2, PS3, and PlayStation Vita have all supported their predecessors' games at launch in some form.

Concerning timing, the Orbis will ship during holiday 2013, according to the tipster. This person says Sony has been sending Orbis dev kits to "select developers" since the beginning of the year. New iterations of these kits were reportedly dispatched earlier this month, with "finalized beta units" headed to developers at the end of 2012.

This matches up with an earlier rumor, which suggested several studios--including one "major Sony-owned" developer--had moved entirely to PS4 game development.

What kind of technology will the Orbis run on? The site is reporting that developers are being told to plan for an AMD x64 CPU and AMD Southern Islands GPU, the latter of which is capable of running Orbis titles at a resolution of 4096x2160 and 3D games at 1080p. It has been previously suggested that the next-generation PlayStation would be powered by AMD technology.

A Sony representative declined to comment on the matter. For more on speculation concerning the next-generation of consoles, check out GameSpot's rumor roundup feature.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/next-pl...?tag=mncol;txt
    Thats not good at all, and kind of dumb. Granted, this is a rumor, which I hope is proven false. If this is true, It might just kill says for the PS4.

Thanks

This seems like a terrible idea, I also don't like the idea of having to be online to play, where I live the only net I can get goes out from time to time. This would be a huge problem for me

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wickedcold1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Hmm, looks like I'll stop spending money next gen. Maybe I'll be able to retire 10 years early, and play the backlog of games I own
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

I don't really like these ideas of locking out used-game and not having any backwards support at all. It just dosen't seem like a smart idea. Again these are rumours, but you never know what will be come true until it is said and done. If this is to happen with the next-gen systems, then I most likley won't be buying them. Good thing for emulation.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LeftyGuitar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

If sony does that they are promoting piracy, hacks will simply come out to remove the need to connect to the Internet and so forth.

If i was remotely usefull (how ever unlikey that maybe) feel free to click the thanks button or share some rep.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joe Blog For This Useful Post:

Muscab is offline ★★★★★★★☆
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Blog View Post
    If sony does that they are promoting piracy, hacks will simply come out to remove the need to connect to the Internet and so forth.
    I agree.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Hmm, looks like I'll stop spending money next gen. Maybe I'll be able to retire 10 years early, and play the backlog of games I own
    I'd like to say I'd be joining you but I can't say for sure yet. Either way this is retarded. But it's nothing unusual for Sony to pull a dick move and anally rape their customers.

Thanks
    EP Points

What is Sony's problem? I hope this isn't true,because that is so stupid. Is sounds like a way to make more money, because it forces everyone to buy new games. Why?? The main reason I got a PS2 was I could play PSone games. If they actually do this they'll be cutting their own throats business wise. It's terrible what greed will do to a company.

Thanks

I think that games are gonna come with commercials in the next 5 to 10 years.

Thanks
    EP Points

I agree, they put commercials in everything. Anything to make a cheap buck I guess. But what will they do when they drive away customers? Probably cry and whine about it.
    Last edited by Iamerror; 29th-March-2012 at 02:50. Reason: misspelling

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    I'd like to say I'd be joining you but I can't say for sure yet. Either way this is retarded. But it's nothing unusual for Sony to pull a dick move and anally rape their customers.
    Corporations doing everything in their power to increase marginal profit, even if it means fucking over their user-base? No way.

Thanks
    EP Points

if sony goes through with this they can sit on it and spin _ _!_ _

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    EP Points

From a companies economical approach this is stupid. Not everyone can use internet yet alone have it i know about 15 people who own a ps3 but no internet what so ever. If they do this they could lose so much money. But also possibly gain a lot. Because Used games make them Zero Profit.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Spose' For This Useful Post:

Thanks

My main issue if this is true is that I often buy games used because of budget concerns. If this does happen, then I'm really waiting until they remove it or towards the end of the console's life cycle.

Thanks
    EP Points

by the end of the console life it will be the PSN that has value not the console

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean