Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deciding between Lubuntu 12.04 or Ubuntu 12.04 for my notebook

Thanks
    EP Points

Ubuntu imo.

Thanks

I would consider Linux Mint if you haven't installed anything yet.

I am personally not a fan of Ubuntu One, and I feel that Ubuntu is slowly getting too bloated for my taste in a Linux distro. I've asked around on other forums, and this appears to be emerging as one of the most popular Linux distros, even replacing Ubuntu as the 'first-time-Linux-and-ease-of-use' distro.

Laguna: "Chill man, it's cool." -- Youtube

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by curryking3 View Post
    I would consider Linux Mint if you haven't installed anything yet.

I am personally not a fan of Ubuntu One, and I feel that Ubuntu is slowly getting too bloated for my taste in a Linux distro. I've asked around on other forums, and this appears to be emerging as one of the most popular Linux distros, even replacing Ubuntu as the 'first-time-Linux-and-ease-of-use' distro.
    So its not just me, i tried ubuntu on an old p3 lappy 900Mhz (yuck) 9.04 ran quite well and was quite responsive, i then tired 10.10 and it was reallly SLOW i know the computer used for testing was slow to start with but it clearly showed that the newer distro wanted alot more resources

If i was remotely usefull (how ever unlikey that maybe) feel free to click the thanks button or share some rep.

Thanks

I've tried Linux Mint before and was pretty satisfied with it's results. The great thing with Linux distros as many people have said is the number of choices you have.

Unfortunately that sometimes backfires on me when I am having a hard time deciding on which distro to just use.

Tomorrow is the release of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and I'm definitely looking forward to giving that a try. Linux Mint also has a new release just now and I'm checking up footage of it.

Thanks

If it wasn't already apparent by the number of people mentioning it, I'd try Linux Mint. It' s actually a derivative of Ubuntu.

If that isn't light enough on the resources, you could even try it's derivative - Linux Peppermint.

BTW - The lightest, fastest, distro with the best power management plan for you would be one you tweaked from the ground up. Unfortunately, that'd be an adventure in itself.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

indeed, I also suggest Linux Mint, has a whole lot more "flavor" than ubuntu

Thanks

I see it has been suggest quite a few times but I will also throw my hat in the Linux Mint camp, ever since the unity theme became default in Ubuntu I've found myself wanting a much 'fresher' flavour of linux.

Not trying to derail the thread but has anyone tried 'Commodore OS Vision' which has a similar source to Debain/Ubuntu/Mint distros but with a nice retro gaming feel which might be worth trying comes with some old Commodore emulators bundled in (fitting given the emulation nature of the forum).
    Last edited by brndedhero; 16th-May-2012 at 23:33.

Thanks
    EP Points

Hey dude, I think its against the rules to gravedig. :\

If it isn't sorry but it not advisable this thread is from april
    Last edited by Inferno.; 3rd-June-2012 at 05:50.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Spose' View Post
    Hey dude, I think its against the rules to gravedig. :\

If it isn't sorry but it not advisable this thread is from april
    Can you just report posts with adverts in, rather than posting in the thread.