Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deciding between Lubuntu 12.04 or Ubuntu 12.04 for my notebook

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Deciding between Lubuntu 12.04 or Ubuntu 12.04 for my notebook

Do you think I would get better battery life on my notebook (Core 2 Duo generation, specifically the HP ProBook 5310m model) with Lubuntu 12.04 or with the Gnome Classic (no effects) on Ubuntu 12.04? I'm mainly focused on battery life especially now with linux kernel 3.2 but if difference in battery life between the two is insignificant, I may go for Ubuntu 12.04 Gnome Classic (no effects) for customizability.

Any advice or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shin kai View Post
    Do you think I would get better battery life on my notebook (Core 2 Duo generation, specifically the HP ProBook 5310m model) with Lubuntu 12.04 or with the Gnome Classic (no effects) on Ubuntu 12.04? I'm mainly focused on battery life especially now with linux kernel 3.2 but if difference in battery life between the two is insignificant, I may go for Ubuntu 12.04 Gnome Classic (no effects) for customizability.

I seriously doubt that a difference that insignificant would change your battery life at all =/

EDIT: Honestly though, your best bet is just trying both and seeing which works better for you
    Last edited by !nstaGib; 19th-March-2012 at 05:34.

Thanks

I did a simple test with my notebook with the 2 betas of Lubuntu and Ubuntu 12.04. On my notebook of max brightness, wireless, gmail tab open, and constant youtube clips playing Lubuntu went for about 1 hour and 6 minutes whereas Ubuntu went to 1 hour and 25 minutes. Granted I did only one test and it was my first time testing but I may lean towards Ubuntu since it has almost everything I would want in a Linux distro.

Thanks
    EP Points

I say if you want better battery life it's better to consider getting better batteries. (If they're available for your notebook)

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Thanks
    EP Points

What about gNewSense? It's one of those distros that takes out all the bloatware, it shouldn't take too many resources. Though when it comes down to it, it really depends on what you like and what works for you.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyGuitar View Post
    What about gNewSense? It's one of those distros that takes out all the bloatware, it shouldn't take too many resources. Though when it comes down to it, it really depends on what you like and what works for you.
    bloatware? What bloat is there in Ubuntu other than the social networking thing?

Thanks
    EP Points

It has some bloatware, but what I really meant was the properity software. I've tried gNewSense, its fast, but because it takes out all the propertiy software, it is harder to use than some other distros, but it does use gnome for its desktop. I suggested, as he was looking for something that would not consume a lot of battery power. So a lightweight distro would probably be the most helpful to him, but as I said before, it comes down to what he likes and/or prefers.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Anyone asking about Linux is opening Pandora's box really aint it

and some people wonder why linux is still somewhat shunned in the mainstream.. this thread is a good example

Theres even a Distro I nicknamed Chindows XP

Its not bad actually you have to rename a few links but it has very well integrated Wine
    Last edited by Kouen Hasuki; 27th-March-2012 at 06:14.

Thanks
    EP Points

I just checked out that Ylmf Distro, it appears there is a english version as well.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyGuitar View Post
    I just checked out that Ylmf Distro, it appears there is a english version as well.
    ya its the same iso you just gotta pick english but a few minor bits dont change so you have to manually change em

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shin kai View Post

If i was you i would use the least computer intensive of the two as more load=less battery life, take note of the resoures they use and decide based on that. You could also use an older LTS version as the newer distros of ubuntu seem to use more computer from my findings on an old P3 lappy

If i was remotely usefull (how ever unlikey that maybe) feel free to click the thanks button or share some rep.

Thanks
    EP Points

Personally for good combination of low resource usage and usability I would recommend XFCE over LXDE or Gnome (I.e., Xubuntu). I would also recommend going with the oldest possible distribution of Ubuntu that still has long term support (as of now, 10.04) as the older versions tend to be easier on resources in general. For example Ubuntu 10.04 running on my laptop (circa 2004-ish) with comparable specs to lower end netbooks is "much" more responsive using it's Gnome 2.x interface versus running 12.04 with its "classic" gnome desktop.

Granted this is probably more due to my low-end graphics chipset than anything.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Go to Ubuntu. Puppylinux is the fastest i used.

Thanks
    EP Points

If Puppylinux is faster why would he want to do Ubuntu?
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"