Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you beat Contra?

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Default Can you beat Contra?

See, me and my mate like to play Contra games. When you're playing co-op, they're awfully easy though, and beating, say, Contra III on hard, using no continues, is a breeze. It's an entirely different matter when you're playing alone though. So, leaving out the other Contra titles - for now - I ask you: Can you beat Contra for the NES, playing alone (Durrrrrrr, without the code)? Seriously, I encourage you to try, right away. It takes like, I dunno, 25 minutes? Go!

Oh me? I just did! I did use one continue, but that's only 'cause I was jumping around like a douche, getting hit by one of those sneakily-spawning enemies, losing my spread gun right before the level 7 boss. And then I died twice more for some reason, before making it to the final stage.

So, to be fair I did mention at the beginning that it's hardly the first time I played this game, but I hadn't played it in several months atleast. And I've actually never beaten it co-op, without using the Konami code for silly, emulation-related reasons.
    Last edited by Elmdor Rizer; 18th-March-2012 at 02:08.

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    EP Points

The only Contra games I've beaten are III and Hard Corps, both of which I could eventually clear on one credit. But I'm always up for both a challenge and a chance to impress Elmdor, so once I get home I'm totally in.

Thanks

Man I was able to beat contra 1 and super c on nes, but i used save states because i knew how hard that is. Now with contra hard corps (please dont laugh) i cant even get past the first level.

Thanks
    EP Points

I think I can beat Contra on NES starting with 3 lives (I had cartridge allowing 99 lives) but not on my X360 pad (D-pad...). If you have Spread Gun game is relatively easy (at least stages from 1 to 6) but without it sometimes player must be super fast with decisions. Contra 3 on SNES is just extremally hard for me even on lowest dificulty level.

__
    Super C is the one with isometric camera on stage 2?

Thanks
    EP Points

I got Contra in 6th grade from my spanish teacher for getting 100% [A] in his class--I was the only one who got 100% so that was my reward. ANYwho--I played it for about 3 weeks straight until i got bored--fun game...I beat it in lives after the 11 [?] play. I t was hard, but fun.
    #Archean_0's Uploads [http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...0#post1431710] | #Found a ".dlc" file? Open it with [http://jdownloader.org/]

Thanks

I think anyone who says they can beat contra in a few lives or without continuing are either full of shit or have too much time on their hand.

Thanks

Just played and made it to base2. Guess I'm pretty rusty.
    I want my Atari 5200 back!

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Elin View Post
    The only Contra games I've beaten are III and Hard Corps, both of which I could eventually clear on one credit. But I'm always up for both a challenge and a chance to impress Elmdor, so once I get home I'm totally in.
    <3 ^___^ I... should probably play C:HC without using Browny... but I don't like any of the other characters.

Quote Originally Posted by resident evil2 nemesis View Post
    Man I was able to beat contra 1 and super c on nes, but i used save states because i knew how hard that is. Now with contra hard corps (please dont laugh) i cant even get past the first level.
    Use browny. Double jumps, you never have to duck, and his C-weapon is the best in the game. Also, whenever you're about to get hit, just use the slide tackle. Silly, game-breaking character.

Edit: Duck means crouch in english aswell, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by ponury_indor View Post
    I think I can beat Contra on NES starting with 3 lives (I had cartridge allowing 99 lives) but not on my X360 pad (D-pad...). If you have Spread Gun game is relatively easy (at least stages from 1 to 6) but without it sometimes player must be super fast with decisions. Contra 3 on SNES is just extremally hard for me even on lowest dificulty level.

__
    Super C is the one with isometric camera on stage 2?
    I couldn't beat it at all on the X-Box. Silly worthless D-pad.

Uh, what's isometric? They're overhead, like in Contra III. As opposed to third person/watching your own back, as it is in the original game.

Quote Originally Posted by CSXIV View Post
    I think anyone who says they can beat contra in a few lives or without continuing are either full of shit or have too much time on their hand.
    I tried five times and then I beat it, almost without using a continue. It's all about the spread gun, really (well, and reflexes). Didn't die at all until level six; and only once there.

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    EP Points

I actually beat it on the NES without using codes and any continues about a few months. Played it on a real NES and not a emulator.

Thanks

I can still beat Contra 1 without dying. Just a matter of having played the thing since I was 8 over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over until it was embedded in my muscle memory. No joke. The game is uber easy for me now. Once I get the Spread, I'm unstoppable. Once I add Rapid fire to that spread, it's downright unfair to the enemy. Those tanks in Snow Field? Stand literally right in front of them and fire like crazy. They will be destroyed in 2 seconds BEFORE they even get to fire a single bullet. Same deal with almost all the bosses, ~5 second battles.

Contra 3 I did not play as much and I still find it very hard even on Easy.
    Last edited by Myst; 18th-March-2012 at 03:17.
    Give me what I want or face destruction........IN JAPANESE!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Elmdor Armitage View Post

Uh, what's isometric? They're overhead, like in Contra III. As opposed to third person/watching your own back, as it is in the original game.
    Isometric is overhead. So I've played Original Contra, Super C (but only few times on my Pegasus) and also third one (maybe it was hacked game, I don't know). It has four characters to choose from, each one with unique weapon set (one guy had extremally fast Rocked Launcher, another one Homing Missiles, etc.), player could switch between then (Gradius style) only when collected certain amount of some gold cases. Boss of first stage was some big guy throwing grenades (if I'm remeber it correctly) and rolling on the floor like mad man. Anybody know title of this Contra or 'Contra'?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Elmdor Armitage View Post
    See, me and my mate like to play Contra games. When you're playing co-op, they're awfully easy though, and beating, say, Contra III on hard, using no continues, is a breeze. It's an entirely different matter when you're playing alone though. So, leaving out the other Contra titles - for now - I ask you: Can you beat Contra for the NES, playing alone (Durrrrrrr, without the code)? Seriously, I encourage you to try, right away. It takes like, I dunno, 25 minutes? Go!

Oh me? I just did! I did use one continue, but that's only 'cause I was jumping around like a douche, getting hit by one of those sneakily-spawning enemies, losing my spread gun right before the level 7 boss. And then I died twice more for some reason, before making it to the final stage.

So, to be fair I did mention at the beginning that it's hardly the first time I played this game, but I hadn't played it in several months atleast. And I've actually never beaten it co-op, without using the Konami code for silly, emulation-related reasons.
    I get bored playing alone, so no I never have.

However My dad and I have beaten it a few times, as well as Bionic Commando without continuing.
    Hardest part about Contra on Co Op is the damn waterfall level because you keep killing each other.

Thanks
    EP Points

I only ended the first Contra losing one or two continues, I start to lose lives on 5th stage. The later games rises the dificulty to hellish levels (especially Shattered Soldier from PS2), and PSX games are crap that must be burned to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by ponury_indor View Post
    and also third one (maybe it was hacked game, I don't know). It has four characters to choose from, each one with unique weapon set...
    That is Contra Force, a non-canon entry of the series. The real Contra III is from SNES

Thanks

I could only beat Contra for the NES using the Konami code, otherwise I could only reach up to the final alien base without it.
    How's it feel being beaten?

Thanks
    EP Points

When I was a kid I regularly beat Contra, alone and with friends. I never did learn that code... I didn't even know about it until one of my cousins used it. Ahh... it was soo much easier when the NES was all I played. I can't beat it anymore... maybe if I played NES games enough to get used to their response times again.