Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Games you've missed out on because of the Language barrier.

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Games you've missed out on because of the Language barrier.

This may sound stupid, but I want to learn Japanese so I can play their games. I've been told that I shouldn't tell people that, it would offend Japanese people. I love Japanese games, in some ways than American games(sorry). Unfortunately I can't read Japanese, so I can't play them. I have tried but it doesn't go well.Anyway, to the point, I have missed out on great games because of this, Dark half, and Mother for example. I don't think that I'm alone in this, so has anyone else missed out on great games because they can't read Japanese or any other language? I'm currently attempting to Japanese by the way.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Namco X Capcom
    A lot of SMT games
    Nearly every Super Robot Taisen I actually care about
    A lot of SUDA 51's library

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ys V, still waiting on a translation for that game.

Thanks

Gensou Suikogaiden... because it's in Japanese. Though I mostly understand the story because I played all Suikodens, but still it feels like missing something.
    ^o^ [ E t E r N a L ] ^o^

^o^ [ E t E r N a L ] ^o^

Thanks
    EP Points

There are so many of them that I cannot mention each of it. And I know that I will likely to miss Rune Factory 4 that will only come out in Japan this July.

Thanks

I don't have too many games that I've missed out on because of fan translators and old games getting remade and released in the U.S., but I do wish more anime would get dubbed here, because there are many good animes that are not here but if I wanted to read subtitles I'd read the manga instead. I also think that english voice actors are getting better and better at what they do but stuff like Bandai shutting down (Anime/DVDs in the U.S., but Games by Namco-Bandai will still be released here) seems like it's going to be harder to get more english dubbed anime which is sad. Back on topic, I would like all the fire emblem games to be officially translated.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Aeolus Aeneas View Post
    Ys V, still waiting on a translation for that game.
    If we're lucky, they will port it to the Vita and XSEED will bring it over.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by iamerror View Post
    This may sound stupid, but I want to learn Japanese so I can play their games. I've been told that I shouldn't tell people that, it would offend Japanese people.
    Anyone who gets offended by something like that probably isn't worth your time. My Japanese friends all think it's kind of cool that I learned their language from videogames. :'D And some of them learned English for stuff like Twilight and Harry Potter, anyway, which is basically the same deal. As far as I'm concerned, there's really no valid or invalid reason to learn a language. And by my experience, the people who preach such elitist attitudes rarely get very far with language learning to begin with.

In short, so long as you don't go around telling Japanese people off for not knowing who Cloud Strife is or asking them if they think Miyamoto is the most important figure in Japanese history, then chances are nobody's really going to care why you're interested in learning their language. On the contrary, I've found that most people are just really happy that you are.

In any case, good luck with Japanese! I've had so much fun studying the language, and I'm always happy to see other people taking it up. It isn't nearly as hard as some people would have you believe, and if I can learn, there's no reason you can't too! Feel free to ask if you ever need help with anything~

On topic, there are a number of Chinese RPGs I'd really like to play at some point. Chinese games tend to be pretty low budget and by the books gameplay-wise, but the settings, stories and art styles take a quite different approach to Japanese games, leaning heavily on Chinese mythology, history, and wuxia movies and drama. There are a few I own in particular that seem really fascinating. And I'm currently making decent-ish progress with Chinese, so maybe in a year or so...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere

i swear i would learn japanese only for that game, but im too lazy for that unfortunately :p

Rewardsgaming.net

Thanks
    EP Points

ace attorney investigations 2...enough said

I hope that translation comes out someday

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Invidente7 For This Useful Post:

kom

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm learning a bit of Jap right now, so I can play the PSX SMT games, especially SMT if...
    There are some others too, like the Sega Saturn Version of Grandia, MANY Tales of games, and some visual novels.

Thanks

Most of the non US games I've played are pretty mediocre and are no reason for me to learn a new language just to understand it. the only wapanese game I am fond of is Seiken Dansetsu 2. Everything else everyone goes on and on about Shin megami tensei or whatever Dragon quest games etc etc.

I will admit the only thing about the language barriers that piss me off is the fact that we haven't seen a good gundam game in years because of this BS. I had to pay 70 dollars to have a Gundam game for my wii imported here and thats just a bunch of bs

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by CSXIV View Post
    Most of the non US games I've played are pretty mediocre and are no reason for me to learn a new language just to understand it. the only wapanese game
    I'm gonna go get my popcorn for the eventual responses to this idiocy.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
    Namco X Capcom
    A lot of SMT games
    Nearly every Super Robot Taisen I actually care about
    A lot of SUDA 51's library
    Namco X capcom has an english patch

and Endless frontier is a good robot taisen

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
    I'm gonna go get my popcorn for the eventual responses to this idiocy.
    Its an opinion. We all have them. As far as what other people think about them. Congrats to them but there aren't that many games outside of the US I actually care for. If you like them congrats, but we can still all be friends. Calling someones opinion idiocy just shows how idiotic you are