Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ISPs to Start Throttling Pirates

Thanks
    EP Points

Default ISPs to Start Throttling Pirates

ISPs are getting ready to seriously crack down on piracy by July 12. These ISPs include Comcast, Cablevision, Verizon, Time Warner Cable and other bandwidth providers. What they will be looking out for is music, movies and software illegally downloaded by subscribers.
    Full story.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Thanks
    EP Points

*facepalm*
    What I don't understand is: the ISPs can sign as many mutual agreements with MPAA and RIAA as they want, but isn't it against the law to spy on user's behaviour? Is this approved by any court?

Welcome to the USA, the country of unlmited possibilities!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Knightshade View Post
    is this happening for those just inside the USA or are other countries isp's following suit as well?
    thumperbunnyeve~If Purchase does not entail ownership, then sharing shouldn't mean piracy.
    help the socially disabled https://gofund.me/3234a082
    my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDs...gHZ_f8tjf8jW4w

Thanks
    EP Points

Rogers FTW

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SOLDIERSeeD View Post
    *facepalm*
    What I don't understand is: the ISPs can sign as many mutual agreements with MPAA and RIAA as they want, but isn't it against the law to spy on user's behaviour? Is this approved by any court?

well it was illegal and an invasion of privacy at one point but in our recent history we allowed them to pass a little law called the patriot act which gives them the right to spy on anyone at anytime for any reason further more it also gives them the ability to detain anyone indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grouch View Post
    is this happening for those just inside the USA or are other countries isp's following suit as well?
    not sure I will have to do more research on the matter and get back to you man.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SOLDIERSeeD View Post
    *facepalm*

Yes, though it seems it won't stop the RIAA from trying.

At Knightshade: The Patriot Act doesn't apply to corporations, last I knew.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

just a quick thought but how are the isp's going to know the difference between you downloading a legal file and an illegal file?
    thumperbunnyeve~If Purchase does not entail ownership, then sharing shouldn't mean piracy.
    help the socially disabled https://gofund.me/3234a082
    my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDs...gHZ_f8tjf8jW4w

Thanks

just a quick thought but how are the isp's going to know the difference between you downloading a legal file and an illegal file?
    They'll probably filter IP's from sites they register as ok and sites that allow piracy :/ but thats just my guess.

Let your cosmo burn bright!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Shardnax View Post
    Yes, though it seems it won't stop the RIAA from trying.
    How sad is that? I mean what the music and movie industry is trying to accomplish is to take measures as harsh as anti-terrorism measures: constant surveillance, invasion of privacy etc.
    And this time, they are willing to scavange through private files of ALL people surfing the internet? But what am I asking, of course they would, it's money against human rights for christ's sake, you got to get your priorities straight, right?
    IMHO, in order to put this bulls*** into practice, they have to use some kind of software (deep-packet inspection) or am I mistaken? But DPI doesn't work on encrypted files...

Thanks
    EP Points

I hate this country.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Shardnax View Post

At Knightshade: The Patriot Act doesn't apply to corporations, last I knew.
    I've never paid much attention to US law really, but if Corporations can have the legal rights of an individual (which they did last time I read about it a while back)

I've been given the impression that the Patriot Act covers individuals and entities anyway......but I can't see how pirates could be covered by the act.
    Unless it's classified as economic terrorism, maybe

I dunno.

But......if you think about the big picture, this business of US ISP's throttling shouldn't surprise people given what's happened lately with file sharing, the media industry being retards (and government listening to them)......not to mention the mess the economy is in over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    I hate this country.
    My condolences

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    But......if you think about the big picture, this business of US ISP's throttling shouldn't surprise people given what's happened lately with file sharing, the media industry being retards (and government listening to them)......not to mention the mess the economy is in over there.
    As far as surprising nothing done by the government or the corporations of this country surprises me any more.
    I just stumbled upon this news and felt the need to share to let other people that live in the once land of the free(not saying I don't appreciate the freedoms we are allowed I know there are far worse countries I could be living in.) what's on the horizon.
    Last edited by Knightshade; 16th-March-2012 at 18:24.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by The Grouch View Post
    At least in Germany, the ISP refused to cooperate with the content industry on that matter, just read a news about it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Good thing I have sprint I guess.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Good thing I stopped torrenting years ago.