Thread: Portable systems for Retro Gaming...

Thanks

Default Portable systems for Retro Gaming...

Hi All, my 1st post & day. Such n00bness...

Im getting back into my emulated games & while looking around on the WWW, I ran across this site & registered.

I have a question about the GP2X Caanoo. Is it worth getting? It looks cool & like it has potential, But I wanted to get your opinion.

Whadya think?

Thanks
    EP Points

I just use my DSi XL with an Acekard and emulators. I have Sega, SNES, and NES at the moment. Works great!

Edit: I do like that it is Linux driven.
    Last edited by Mailmann006; 11th-March-2012 at 00:49.
    I'm listening but I don't hear very much...

Thanks
    EP Points

Here's my 2 cents worth about handheld retro-gaming/emulation...

I agree, the Caanoo looks cool, and quite promising. I couldn't really, with any conscience, talk you out of buying one. However, if you're only looking at console emulation, a PSP with custom firmware would be nearly as good, I think.

Looking at the OpenHandhelds webpage for the Caanoo, many of the same emulators listed there also have PSP versions. For instance: PicoDrive (MegaDrive and MegaCD), MasterBoy (Sega Master System and Gameboy/GB Color), MAME4all (arcade), gpsp (Game Boy Advance), and DOSbox (vintage PC gaming). Not sure about the Caanoo, but the PSP has an app called "Popstation", which uses the PSP's native ability to play PSone games. I didn't see a PSone emu at OpenHandhelds.

The choice is yours, really. The Caanoo is cool, but PSP consoles are far more common and easy to get hands on. Plus, now with the invention of PROcfw, they are super easy to soft-mod (Even I could do it, and it only took me about a half-hour). The Caanoo being Linux-based is a neat feature, and opens up new possibilities... you just have to decide how important those possibilities are to you, and how often you'd use them.

Best of luck, and let us know if/what you get for yourself, OK?
    *If my post was helpful, click the star in the lower left corner of it to say "Thanks".
    *My username will unlock my uploads, if a password is needed.
    *Games, Guitars, or Girls... choose any two.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstar1983 View Post
    Here's my 2 cents worth about handheld retro-gaming/emulation...

I agree, the Caanoo looks cool, and quite promising. I couldn't really, with any conscience, talk you out of buying one. However, if you're only looking at console emulation, a PSP with custom firmware would be nearly as good, I think.

Looking at the OpenHandhelds webpage for the Caanoo, many of the same emulators listed there also have PSP versions. For instance: PicoDrive (MegaDrive and MegaCD), MasterBoy (Sega Master System and Gameboy/GB Color), MAME4all (arcade), gpsp (Game Boy Advance), and DOSbox (vintage PC gaming). Not sure about the Caanoo, but the PSP has an app called "Popstation", which uses the PSP's native ability to play PSone games. I didn't see a PSone emu at OpenHandhelds.

The choice is yours, really. The Caanoo is cool, but PSP consoles are far more common and easy to get hands on. Plus, now with the invention of PROcfw, they are super easy to soft-mod (Even I could do it, and it only took me about a half-hour). The Caanoo being Linux-based is a neat feature, and opens up new possibilities... you just have to decide how important those possibilities are to you, and how often you'd use them.

Best of luck, and let us know if/what you get for yourself, OK?
    Same goes for me. I use my PSP to play all the retro games I played when I was a kid. Sometimes I find that I play more retro games on my PSP than actually playing PSP games.
    How's it feel being beaten?

Thanks
    EP Points

For me it's the PSP. I run 6.39 PRO-B and I have playstation, NES, SNES, Genesis, GBA and at one point I had N64 games too, but at the time the N64 emulator only ran a couple of games (it ran Mario 64 brilliantly!).

I picked up a 32gb stick and currently have about 200 games on my psp. Wouldn't get rid of it for anything.

Thanks
    EP Points

PSP is great for retro games--it plays everything [well, most everything...oh--and PSP games]
    #Archean_0's Uploads [http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...0#post1431710] | #Found a ".dlc" file? Open it with [http://jdownloader.org/]

Thanks

ok, one thing thats really making me itch! i can't get james pond 3 (megadrive/genesis) to work on pspgo. Picodrive is the only megadrive emulator i got to work on the go and i've stopped playing that game on my phone and wanted to switch to real buttons