Thread: Getting Started

Thanks

Default Getting Started

I'm interested in playing some NES games on the Dreamcast, but I'm not sure how I should do this. Does the Dreamcast require a disc-swapping trick like the Playstation? How do I need to burn the discs?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Hiryu7777 View Post
    I'm interested in playing some NES games on the Dreamcast, but I'm not sure how I should do this. Does the Dreamcast require a disc-swapping trick like the Playstation? How do I need to burn the discs?
    No such trick for the Dreamcast, the original media is not CD-Rom, it's GD-Rom, that can hold apx 1.2GB on the inner track and a few MB of data on the outer track, is the usual format for GD-Rom's, anyway that makes it impossible to do a swop/swap trick to a CD

The first thing you should do is read Dreamcast versions, Mil-CD Compatibility you might just pleasently supprised

Also note that Mil-CD is not region protected but some Jap/US games are can't be displayed via RGB Scart (Not realy a regional protection, but it's still an issue if you hook the Dreamcast up via RGB Scart)

After reading the above your goal might just be aimed a lil higher than just NES

But if you are still interested in that after reading what I linked I know I could help you with ease or one of the others here can as I will not be around for a lil while

Maybe not exactly for you but... Dreamcast VGA Compatability list is not just a list of VGA compatible games, but is also a list of Mil-CD's as everything on that page tested by me was on a Mil-CD and not on a GD-Rom

Other Mil-CD's are usually home brew such as emulators SNES, Megadrive, NES, Mastersystem, gameboy, gamegear, a few arcade and other consoles and computers aswel as ports including Doom and finally propper original homebrew games & software

Bleem!Cast was also hacked not that long back, the 3 retail versions I'm talking about so they are single game versions that will only work with certain games..

Bleem!Cast - Gran Turismo 2 [43011] - (This rip works with CD-R copies of the PSX disc)
    Bleem!Cast - Metal Gear Solid [43021] - (This rip works with CD-R copies of the PSX disc)
    Bleem!Cast - Tekken 3 [43031] - (This rip works with CD-R copies of the PSX disc)

EDIT: Asides from the ever so dodgy coppies around there seems to be some very nice Free homebrew games on the Dreamcast nowerdays, I'm a lil behind now aswell myself so I realy need to catch up on things and try some of the newer goodies on the great Sega console, the Dreamcast.

Though I recently got myself a Sega Saturn so I imagine I will want to play through Shining Force III before moving onto my net set of games, that and I still have a few 360 games I have not played yet and prolly 100's of other games I need to blast through on various systems, mostly emulated on my Xbox original though
    Last edited by Zorlon; 15th-March-2012 at 23:16.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR