Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about random encounter?

Thanks

90% of the time, they're just an excuse to pad out the game with meaningless level grinding. Those games can get fucked.

You can do interesting things with it (like the aforementioned Persona 2 negotiating) but even then it'd be better with overworld-visible enemy groups and limited/no respawns in many circumstances.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror666 View Post
    Thanx for the info, was gonna wait for Persona 5 (another one of my favorite game series, i love Persona) to buy a PS3, seein as how sadly Persona most likely wont be on the 360... anyways, now ill be sure to get the PS3 before Tales of Graces F comes out **crosses fingers in hopes that the release date is near the end of March**
    Has there ever been an SMT game on a Microsoft console? I don't think so. Maybe in Japan. I am not sure though.

I recently traded off all my Tales Of stuff. Wasn't all that impressed. Vesperia was great. Eternia was decent. Legendia was awful. The rest aren't really worth mentioning either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    Like Elin, as long as the encounter rate isn't too high. I don't really mind it too much but as I get older I find it's starting to get a little bit annoying here and there though. In my teens and 20's I loved it though as I used to smoke a lot of weed and loved just zoning out running around in circles and leveling up
    I find that I have less patience for random encounters now as well. It's not enough to make or break a game for me though.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror666 View Post
    Edit: come to think of it.... i believe a "Tales Of..." Fighting game could be awesome.
    Spoiler warning:

But it's awful according to all my friends who played it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Has there ever been an SMT game on a Microsoft console? I don't think so. Maybe in Japan. I am not sure though.
    Spoiler warning:

But it's supposed to be kind of forgettable. Have it downloaded, though, and I'd still like to try it someday simply because it's Shin Megami.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Elin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

I recently traded off all my Tales Of stuff. Wasn't all that impressed. Vesperia was great. Eternia was decent. Legendia was awful. The rest aren't really worth mentioning either way.
    Depends on what you mean by "the rest". Ironically, the best Tales games are the ones that never came out in English.

In any case, I'm not too fond of random encounters, mostly because I'm the kind of guy who likes running around exploring everything in RPGs. Couple that with a high encounter rate and you have the perfect recipe for a mental breakdown.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gare For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Tales of the Abyys and Tales of Vesperia are awesome, and i hated Legendia, actually, hates too strong..i just felt it was "meh"

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Depends on what you mean by "the rest". Ironically, the best Tales games are the ones that never came out in English.

In any case, I'm not too fond of random encounters, mostly because I'm the kind of guy who likes running around exploring everything in RPGs. Couple that with a high encounter rate and you have the perfect recipe for a mental breakdown.
    I am the same way but don't mind random battles as long as they are balanced with the rest of the game and don't have the aforementioned high encounter rate, that crap makes me just want to rage quit.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Elin View Post
    Spoiler warning:

But it's supposed to be kind of forgettable. Have it downloaded, though, and I'd still like to try it someday simply because it's Shin Megami.
    Indeed, I knew there was something I might have been forgetting. I couldn't place my finger on it though. And yeah unfortunately being Megaten doesn't make a game playable, Maken X was Megaten too.

Most fans of the franchise say this. I can't comment on the JP only ones because I haven't played them. So the rest consists of Abyss, Symphonia (both), Phantasia etc... all of which I have no strong feelings on either way. They just feel like average rpgs. The battle system is quite good but the plots are mostly forgettable.

I have the same problem. I've been known to cheat encounters off in the past (if the game doesn't have something that allows it, or to at least slow them down in the case of high encounters) when I'm to the point where all they do is waste time. It can get obnoxious when you want to 100% the game.

Thanks
    EP Points

I personally enjoyed Abyss way more than Vesperia. Vesperia was more polished for sure, and I loved Yuri and Rita, but I just couldn't get into the story and setting. In Abyss I liked the entire cast, thought the world was quite well thought out, and found the story really fun and engaging (if rife with shounen cliches, but hey, it's Tales~).

Thought Vesperia's soundtrack was forgettable even by Sakuraba's standards, too, while Abyss had some of his better work on the series, as well as some awesome songs by Motoo Fujiwara.

Probably enjoyed the first Symphonia more too, for what it's worth. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I personally enjoyed Abyss way more than Vesperia. Vesperia was more polished for sure, and I loved Yuri and Rita, but I just couldn't get into the story and setting. In Abyss I liked the entire cast, thought the world was quite well thought out, and found the story really fun and engaging (if rife with shounen cliches, but hey, it's Tales~).

Thought Vesperia's soundtrack was forgettable even by Sakuraba's standards, too, while Abyss had some of his better work on the series, as well as some awesome songs by Motoo Fujiwara.

Probably enjoyed the first Symphonia more too, for what it's worth. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
    hey i love abyss too.but wouldn't you agree vesperia had better graphics than abyss because of its hardware capability? symohonia's one soundtrack was enough for me to buy the game.that was when you fight sheena (aka clumsy assasin)for the first time.the name of the song is fatalize. i don't know japanese but still playing Tales of Hearts with the help of a walkthrough because my dream person sakuraba composed there & i am the biggest fan of sakuraba since Golden Sun.Tales of Hearts doesn't have random encounter nor Tales of Innocense or abyss.but they are fun playing because of their battle system.previous Tales series had random encounter but they changed the fact in their modern Tales series.you can actually see the monster & if you touch it,the battle starts.so random encounter is ok for most of the time but it makes me crazy when i don't want to fight but still get into battle. then i start to wish if i could kick the developers a**

Thanks
    EP Points

Haven't played Vesperia, but I keep hearing good things about Yuri. As for Luke in Abyss, I liked him the most when he was a douche. And I have mixed feelings about the main cast in general. It was still a fun ride, though.

But let's be honest with ourselves. Tales of Rebirth - best Tales protagonist ever. EVER.

Edit: Oh wait, I just realized this thread is about random encounters. Well fuck.
    Last edited by Gare; 25th-February-2012 at 12:51.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by tusar View Post
    hey i love abyss too.but wouldn't you agree vesperia had better graphics than abyss because of its hardware capability?
    Thought that was kind of implied in "more polished", but yeah, obviously. Have never really been one to care for graphics anyway, though. At least not to the point where they affect how much I enjoy a game.

Haven't played Vesperia, but I keep hearing good things about Yuri. As for Luke in Abyss, I liked him the most when he was a douche. And I have mixed feelings about the main cast in general. It was still a fun ride, though.

But let's be honest with ourselves. Tales of Rebirth - best Tales protagonist ever. EVER.

Edit: Oh wait, I just realized this thread is about random encounters. Well fuck.
    Yuri is hot, and pretty much carries Vesperia on his own. I think you'd like him. And spoiled asshole Luke was so much fun. I thought nice Luke was cute in a d'awwww sort of way too, though. Even if he didn't so much develop as change via the powers of a magical haircut.

In any case, it's all redundant, because like you say KUREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Oh... uh... well... Tales of Phantasia on the SNES has the worst encounter rate ever. Like... even with holy bottles, you'll often run into battles every couple of steps. There. Back on track.

Thanks
    EP Points

Blah Blah Blah TIDAL WAVE.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thought that was kind of implied in "more polished", but yeah, obviously. Have never really been one to care for graphics anyway, though. At least not to the point where they affect how much I enjoy a game.

Yuri is hot, and pretty much carries Vesperia on his own. I think you'd like him. And spoiled asshole Luke was so much fun. I thought nice Luke was cute in a d'awwww sort of way too, though. Even if he didn't so much develop as change via the powers of a magical haircut.

In any case, it's all redundant, because like you say KUREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Oh... uh... well... Tales of Phantasia on the SNES has the worst encounter rate ever. Like... even with holy bottles, you'll often run into battles every couple of steps. There. Back on track.
    Luke was very funny character as the main character.i laughed a lot when playing this game.it had such nice sense of humor...i like him most....but i hate Ruca from Tales of innocence.he is such a dumb boy......sorry this thread is about random encounter not Tales character....LOL.....

Thanks
    EP Points

They were a neat idea back in the NES days because of hardware limits, but then the games started changing and many jrpgs didn't, so we're stuck with them. I can guarantee that random encounter in any game can be replaced with another intuitive, better system that's more fun to play.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks

Sometimes it really annoying, except you want to build up levels.

Fortunately in some games they put items, accessories or skills to prevent or lessen the random encounters...
    ^o^ [ E t E r N a L ] ^o^

^o^ [ E t E r N a L ] ^o^