Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about random encounter?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default What do you think about random encounter?

I have played many JRPG games and a lot of them has the random encounter in it.
    Some are annoying while some are not. Personally, the only reason I like random encounter is because it is the only way for me to battle some monster and gain exp; thus level up our characters. So, what do you think about random encounter? Like it or hate it?
    Last edited by Muscab; 23rd-February-2012 at 14:15.

umm....stop askin question, i had dinophobia !!
    Thanks

you asked me what am i think about random encounter?
    its mean that "you look that way and i will knocked you down with my baseball bat"

gahh..well to be honest random encounter seems funny you walk in the lovely garden then swoosh you fight a gigantic dragon.. its like W*f from where this things show up...well a bit weird but it would be more weird if you play a game and had a gigantic dragon walking around and had your char walking like skunk right underneath their feet...so i think random encounter is wise enough....
    Last edited by Dinophobia; 23rd-February-2012 at 14:10.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Dinophobia View Post
    gahh..well to be honest random encounter seems funny you walk in the lovely garden then swoosh you fight a gigantic dragon.. its like W*f from where this things show up...well a bit weird but it would be more weird if you play a game and had a gigantic dragon walking around and had your char walking like skunk right underneath their feet...so i think random encounter is wise enough....
    Hmm, don't you find it quite annoying?

Thanks

I personally find it extreamly annoying. The moments in the game when i dont want to fight a random battle starts randomly. Sometimes i feel myself racing against the random encounters to get to a safe area

not fun

and when i want to grind for levels the monsters seem to take forever to appear

Rewardsgaming.net

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rok124 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I love random encounters you never know whats going to pop out of nowhere....unless you have a bestiary or you played the game before, and i don't tend to be annoyed by them if they are balanced ...now getting a encounter every three steps would indeed piss me off

Let your cosmo burn bright!

Thanks

completely depends if the battles are fun or not for me
    If a battle takes 5 mins and a random encounter is every 7 steps, while not being fun then....blegh [
    I might suffer through it if the story is good enough in the game though -.-

Thanks
    EP Points

I don't mind them as long as the encounter rate isn't too high and the battles aren't too slow. Personally I find it much more annoying when a game gives you the illusion of being able to avoid battles, but makes the enemies too fast or the paths too narrow for it to usually work in practice. Then you just waste a lot of time trying to avoid the battles, and it's even more aggravating when you're inevitably forced into them.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I like how in Legend of Mana or Persona 3 you can see the enemies walking around and touching them or entering their vicinity starts the encounter. But then again in Persona 2 the encounter are random and frustrating, but made more novel and fun due to the demon contacting system. Ya never know what you're gonna get!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SpuzzHardwick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

As long as they have items that either hax random encounters off later in the game or have items that drastically reduce the rate I'm okay with it. I prefer being able to see the monsters though.

Thanks

most of time, its annoying as hell, but that only cus most of the time, you cant even take a single step without havin ta fight a battle. BUT, when done right, it can be ok, and maybe even enjoyable. A good example would be FFVII, where you could actually take about 10-20 steps without havin ta fight, makin it not be so annoying. Another good example is the "Tales of..." series. Nowadays, you can actually see where the monsters are, so you can even sometime avoid fighting. But, back before they started showing monsters, they were random battles. Sure, you couldnt take alot of steps without fighting, but what makes the battles in the "Tales of..." series is the battle system. Instead of pointing and clicking, you are actually fighting like in a fighting game, where you have so many moves to choose from, instead of just attack and magic. You have techs you can use, reg. attacks, and magic. You do all this as if you were actually playing a fighting game, or an Action-Adventure game. So i guess what im saying is, if done right, it can be ok and sometimes even quite enjoyable. But, if done wrong, it can become annoying as hell and start feeling like a nuisance, which i dont know if youre like me or not, but i eventually grow tired of fighting in gmes so much that i actually start dreading it and start running away. Personally, i prefer action adventure style fighting to random battles, which is part of the rreason i like the "Tales of..." series so damn much

Edit: come to think of it.... i believe a "Tales Of..." Fighting game could be awesome.
    Last edited by NightTerror666; 24th-February-2012 at 03:06.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror666 View Post
    most of time, its annoying as hell, but that only cus most of the time, you cant even take a single step without havin ta fight a battle. BUT, when done right, it can be ok, and maybe even enjoyable. A good example would be FFVII, where you could actually take about 10-20 steps without havin ta fight, makin it not be so annoying. Another good example is the "Tales of..." series. Nowadays, you can actually see where the monsters are, so you can even sometime avoid fighting. But, back before they started showing monsters, they were random battles. Sure, you couldnt take alot of steps without fighting, but what makes the battles in the "Tales of..." series is the battle system. Instead of pointing and clicking, you are actually fighting like in a fighting game, where you have so many moves to choose from, instead of just attack and magic. You have techs you can use, reg. attacks, and magic. You do all this as if you were actually playing a fighting game, or an Action-Adventure game. So i guess what im saying is, if done right, it can be ok and sometimes even quite enjoyable. But, if done wrong, it can become annoying as hell and start feeling like a nuisance, which i dont know if youre like me or not, but i eventually grow tired of fighting in gmes so much that i actually start dreading it and start running away. Personally, i prefer action adventure style fighting to random battles, which is part of the rreason i like the "Tales of..." series so damn much

Edit: come to think of it.... i believe a "Tales Of..." Fighting game could be awesome.
    i see...you are a crazy tales fan like me.i love Tales series & i like it more than any other series.the battle system is too freaking awesome so random encounter is ok for me only in the Tales series.but i actually hate random encounter in any other games.i prefer too see the monster if i want to battle with them. & about your idea on Tales of fighting games is a great idea.if i could contact namco anyway i would have told them your idea right away.the Tales characters' mystic artes are the deadliest,most brutal & have coolest animation. i love love love Tales series

14. The Following User Says Thank You to tusar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I LOVE the "Tales Of..." series, i try to play every single one i hear of. Im ni a band named Nigh Terror (hence my username), and my band name is Zero Aurion (Zero from Megaman X, and Aurion from Kratos Aurion)

Thanks
    EP Points

Like Elin, as long as the encounter rate isn't too high. I don't really mind it too much but as I get older I find it's starting to get a little bit annoying here and there though. In my teens and 20's I loved it though as I used to smoke a lot of weed and loved just zoning out running around in circles and leveling up

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror666 View Post
    I LOVE the "Tales Of..." series, i try to play every single one i hear of. Im ni a band named Nigh Terror (hence my username), and my band name is Zero Aurion (Zero from Megaman X, and Aurion from Kratos Aurion)
    Tales of Graces F, Coming out as a PS3 Exclusive in March

As far as Random Encounters Go, I'm a Fan, True some games go way outta bounds with the Encounter rate being Ridiculous, its a Decent Way to make sure you meet the Main Baddy's level at the End of "Insert Generic Temple/Forest/Area"

The Star Ocean Series was a Good Example of Power Leveling using Random Encounters at the Beginning of some of their Secret Dungeons
    Last edited by Dark_Laguna; 24th-February-2012 at 17:43.
    27 Years and Still Playing....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Laguna View Post
    Tales of Graces F, Coming out as a PS3 Exclusive in March
    Thanx for the info, was gonna wait for Persona 5 (another one of my favorite game series, i love Persona) to buy a PS3, seein as how sadly Persona most likely wont be on the 360... anyways, now ill be sure to get the PS3 before Tales of Graces F comes out **crosses fingers in hopes that the release date is near the end of March**