Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy. Old or New?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by wapanstore View Post
    No, the stories are different each time. The only Final Fantasy series that I know are connected story-wise are FF X-2 (sequel of FF X) and FF Crisis Core (prequel of FF VII).
    And Revenant Wings, but I try my hardest to block out the existence of that game from my memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Mario View Post
    I find this hilarious, considering that the original FF was a point-blank ripoff of Dragon Quest and D&D. It didn't start developing any originality until later on and FFXIII is arguably the most original of the lot in terms of setting and gameplay (though hardly the best regarded).
    I was thinking the exact same thing.

Thanks

A lot of people here seem to hate the newer FFs because of the darker stories, modern graphics or unique battle systems. Really, what most of you are saying is you hate modern RPG's, because that's the way most modern RPGs seem to be going. I personally have no preference over new vs old. I consider I-VI old and VII-XIII new (although I feel like IX should be classed as old because it more similar in style to the older ones than the newer ones.). X is my favourite, followed by IV, then V, then VII. I don't see the point in prefering somthing just because it is new or old, all that really matters is the game itself.

Thanks

I tend to like all of the FF games, its just that playing them over and over again seems to make them lose their playing value.

for example, ive played through FFX and FFIV like a thousand times. Ive practically gotten equally tired of both of them.

The adventure and feeling of excitement is in each of the games, its just that in the newer FF games the storyline is a lot more linear and theres really not much other stuff to do besides play along to the storyline =/

Rewardsgaming.net

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by redrickoshea View Post
    A lot of people here seem to hate the newer FFs because of the darker stories, modern graphics or unique battle systems. Really, what most of you are saying is you hate modern RPG's, because that's the way most modern RPGs seem to be going. I personally have no preference over new vs old. I consider I-VI old and VII-XIII new (although I feel like IX should be classed as old because it more similar in style to the older ones than the newer ones.). X is my favourite, followed by IV, then V, then VII. I don't see the point in prefering somthing just because it is new or old, all that really matters is the game itself.
    Everyone have their own opinion. I though that is what this thread is all about? Giving out our opinion and someone laugh or feel hilarious about it? Come on, this is just a thread, don't be like Mario, he just know how to laugh at someone opinion. Exactly like you said, what is matter is the game itself. But some peoples doesn't like it, so what's wrong?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Mario View Post
    I find this hilarious, considering that the original FF was a point-blank ripoff of Dragon Quest and D&D. It didn't start developing any originality until later on and FFXIII is arguably the most original of the lot in terms of setting and gameplay (though hardly the best regarded).
    WRONG! The original Final Fantasy was Squares last release before they went bankrupt, their "final" fantasy. In fact it didn't start out as a game, it started out as algorithms for a battle system. Once they had those algorithms, they needed to do something with them to make them interesting so they made a fantasy world.

Hey, remember the part in Dragon Warrior where you bring a token to the dragon king and get promoted to a more powerful class? Neither do I. Maybe it was Tanis or Drizzt who did that...

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by skullpoker View Post
    WRONG! The original Final Fantasy was Squares last release before they went bankrupt, their "final" fantasy. In fact it didn't start out as a game, it started out as algorithms for a battle system. Once they had those algorithms, they needed to do something with them to make them interesting so they made a fantasy world.

Hey, remember the part in Dragon Warrior where you bring a token to the dragon king and get promoted to a more powerful class? Neither do I. Maybe it was Tanis or Drizzt who did that...
    Wrong on your part man.

Location in Final Fantasy 1.

Tomb of Erdrick (or Link)

In Elfland, next to the White Mage shop, there are three tombstones. Two of them are just plain old tombstones, but the middle one is a surprise. It is the tomb of Erdrick, a character from Dragon Warrior. In the Japanese version of Final Fantasy, it says "Here lies Link" instead. Link being the hero of the Zelda series.

In the very first Final Fantasy they took a swipe at two of the kings of the RPG genre (depending on the version played) at the time. Yeah that really sounds like something a company that was going belly up, didn't expect there game to make many sells, and expected this to be their last game would do.
    Right?
    By the way I have seen this myself in the American version of the game plus the quote above is from here
    I'm sure you can find proof that this was to be their last game and the company was going belly up.

Not doubting just would really like to see the proof.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Thanks
    EP Points

Think I got started with 3/6 and played all the numbered ones after on except for the online ones. Liked them all except for 13 which I just plain said screw it over halfway through and traded it in. I'd like to go back and try the older ones I haven't played, I did 5 not too long ago. I'm worried about the nes ones though because the nes really hurts my eyes, guess I could always get the psx releases though. Can't wait for the remake of 10

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zaladane For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The SNES/PSX releases were the best to me, the newer releases are just, kinda boring. My first was FFVIII (which remains my favorite) when I was 6, I played it all the way up to the third disc, couldn't find that damn white seed ship... But I ended up getting FFVII - FFX-2 and FFXII.

That said, I did like FFX but I was 12 when I played through it, I never even noticed the shitty voice acting..
    Last edited by JagerSlushy; 24th-February-2012 at 15:12.

Thanks

I've Been Playing Final Fantasy Since it Came out, though I do Tend to Drift more Towards the Older FF's (3,5,7) I am Glad for the New Titles, this At least Ensures their Survival in this New Age Technological World
    27 Years and Still Playing....

Thanks

If we are going to talk about new and old final fantasy games then i guess we should also discuss on which game to exactly define as new or old

i personally say each and every final fantasy game made after XII (including XII) is part of the newer final fantasy games

Rewardsgaming.net

Thanks

The thing I dislike about "modern" FF's is exactly that, they are TOO modern. We need more castles, swords (regular ones) less mechanical things and more imps!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Knightshade View Post
    Wrong on your part man.

Location in Final Fantasy 1.

Tomb of Erdrick (or Link)

In Elfland, next to the White Mage shop, there are three tombstones. Two of them are just plain old tombstones, but the middle one is a surprise. It is the tomb of Erdrick, a character from Dragon Warrior. In the Japanese version of Final Fantasy, it says "Here lies Link" instead. Link being the hero of the Zelda series.

In the very first Final Fantasy they took a swipe at two of the kings of the RPG genre (depending on the version played) at the time. Yeah that really sounds like something a company that was going belly up, didn't expect there game to make many sells, and expected this to be their last game would do.
    Right?
    By the way I have seen this myself in the American version of the game plus the quote above is from here
    I'm sure you can find proof that this was to be their last game and the company was going belly up.

Not doubting just would really like to see the proof.
    I had the old grey box, and I never saw anything about Erdrick. Link was mentioned, though. But that's ok, because people still know who you're talking about if you say Link. Nobody knows WTF Erdrick is.

According to WIKI the common lore is wrong, in fact it was Hironobu Sakaguchi who was going to quit making video games if the game didn't sell. It was his Final Fantasy, not the companies.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to skullpoker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Time to write a proper reply.

I might be wrong here, but I have a feeling that people who say that FF is going downhill are mostly just bitter about XII and XIII. So in that regard old FF means I-X to some people, while to others its I-VI or even I-IX. But really, who the fuck cares. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I played I, IV, V, III on the DS and a few hours of VI but they didn't blow me away. I barely even remember anything about them. In all honesty, I have the most fond memories of VII and IX. And XII, which is my all-time favorite in the franchise. I have a semi-strong dislike for X and I'm not even sure why. Tidus is one of the reasons for sure, but in general I just really don't like the world of Spira - its lore, its locations, everything. If that makes any sense. Most recently I played FF Type-0 which I have mixed feelings about. It definitely had its moments, though.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Gare For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blissxx View Post
    Just a random question playing on mi mind to know other peoples views, But do you prefer the Old Final Fantasy Games or The new?
    To me I honestly prefer Final Fantasy I all the way to IX, from X to current, it just sort've died for me, I lost the 'homely', comfortable Final Fantasy feel I grew up on, Some people feed off the graphics and how rad they've become but personally from the tenth through to recent Final Fantasy the story seems to have lost something valuable, Opinions?
    i finally found a post about final fantasy that means something yes i agree the old final fantasys were imo the best there are there feeling the graphics werent that great but the adventures like ff4 the first i played they go to the middle of the earth and then to the moon and there were some badass bosses to now with ff 12 - 13 its just a one way thing the battle system is screwed basically you have no freedom thats what i dont like about the new ones i mean sure the graphics are amazing but it seems they just rush the story lines for more action which is not why people bought final fantasy at all i think they have gone astray with all the new graphics and such but hopefully with ff versus they will go back to originality and HOPEFULLY KH 3 will come out soon im dying here

18. The Following User Says Thank You to youwish For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The thing I didn't like about Final Fantasy is when they turned the game into online game.
    If at least they also made the offline version, then I will have no complaint about the game cause I love to play all of them.
    ^o^ [ E t E r N a L ] ^o^

^o^ [ E t E r N a L ] ^o^