Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ePSXe 1.7.0 vs Toshiba Satellite

Thanks
    EP Points

Default ePSXe 1.7.0 vs Toshiba Satellite

I have a bit of an issue; I am trying to get my old ePSXe 1.7.0 emulator working. I had it working fine on my old dual core desktop but dont have it anymore, I am now running a laptop and was wondering if anyone had suggestions as to what plugins I could use and what settings for said plugins might work. I know that psx emulators can be somewhat buggy with quad core so I dont expect to make everything work as well as it did on my dual core but if I can get it in the ball park then I can figure out what to tweak for each game from there.

My system is: Toshiba Satellite P750
    2.2 gigahertz quad core intel i7-2670QM CPU
    6 Gigs RAM
    Nvidia Geforce GT 540M with 1 Gig dedicated memory
    Fullscreen Resolution is 1366by768.

I am not going to attempt to copy and paste my emulator plugins and settings because I don't even know where to begin for experimentation.

I have tried using petes opengl and opengle2 gpus because those are recommended for Nvidia cards.

When I try to start cdrom (tested with FFVII CD 1) it just brings up a black screen and does nothing. I have tried full screen and window mode 800by600. I have tried running in 16 bit and 32 bit. same results with all 4 attempts. I mount my bin file into daemon tools lite like I always have.

*bows deeply* any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Thanks
    EP Points

if your trying to play FF chances are that it has a copy protection on it, ill double check on google for you but im sure it does, if not then there may be another issue at hand, did you download the game as a .BIN file or was it an ECM file?
    *Computer Specs*
    Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
    Processor: AMD FX 8350 Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.1GHz
    Memory: 16GB RAM
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 8GB GDDR5

If You Find My Help Useful In Any Way Please Click Thanks.
    Bennieboi's Question Of The Day (now defunct)

Thanks
    EP Points

I have played all the FF and various other squaresoft games on my old computer with ePSXe 1.7, in iso form AND in bin form. what I am doing now is my old standard; unzipping the file I download (direct download from this site), then taking the ecm file and unecm it with the unecm application in pakkiso, then mount the bin file i'm given into deamon tools light. I have deamon tools set to drive letter I and I have my cd plugin set to read drive letter I. I have noticed that the iso works when I run it but not all games will give an iso from what I have seen, and multiple cd games tend to glitch when switching cds between isos. I believe the issue is I am either not getting a proper file or have forgotten a step, and I know for a fact that I have yet to find a proper working setup for the video plugins and I would like to set the P.E.O.P.S. cdr plugin but forgot how to configure it. That's all the information I can provide at this point, thanks again ^.^

Thanks
    EP Points

Which cdrom plugin did you use? and have you set the right drive letter?

Also, try run the game with Run ISO option.

Thanks
    EP Points

I used ePSXe CDR WNT/W2K core 1.7.0. It is set to Drive I, which is the same letter that daemon tools is set to. I can run from iso to run the game but some downloads do not give an iso as is the case with the FF8 download I pulled from a mirror link for final fantasy VIII (E) disc 1. even if i can run all games from Iso I would still like to get it working to run CDROM so that I will not have the bug for switching between game discs that 1.7.0 presents when switching iso discs.

Thanks
    EP Points

epsxe's run iso can also run .img .bin and even from the cue/ccd directly.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Thanks
    EP Points

ok, what I am trying to do is get deamon tools lite to mount a bin file, img file, or ccd image file so that I can run CDROM from epsxe. I used to could do this no problem with my old system and setup but I am running a new system and have no clue how I should set up my driver and plugins. I know I can run the iso directly from the run iso option, but there is a bug that sometimes fails to change the cd in mulitiple cd games like ff. this is why i would like to play from the run CDROM option instead of iso. that and I have seen smoother gameplay in the past from usint run CDROM instead of playing from the iso.

Thanks
    EP Points

You mount the .cue sheet, not the .bin .
    Super-simple explanation: The .cue sheet details the information, the .bin is the information.
    My gear:
    Spoiler warning:
    PC:
    Operating Systems: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Linux Mint 15 (partition on main drive), Windows XP Profesional x64 (on separate drive)
    Mainboard: MSi 890 FXA-GD65
    Processor (CPU): AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, 3.3 GHz
    Graphics Card (GPU): HIS HD 6870 IceQ X TurboX 1GB GDDR5
    RAM: 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 594MHz (9-9-9-24)

Nintendo DS Lite:
    Acekard 2.1
    Samsung class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Sony PSP-1000 (phat)
    6.39 PRO-C2 Custom Firmware
    PhotoFast CR-5400 MicroSD to MS Pro Duo Adapter Dual Slot
    SanDisk Ultra class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Thanks
    EP Points

I tried mounting the cue sheet and I still get a black screen. Once again, these steps used to work on my old desktop that ran an nvidia 6150 se video card with 2 gigs ram and a 2.8 ghz amd athlon II dual core cpu, but the normal steps are not working at all for my laptop with 2.2 ghz i7 quad core cpu, 6 gigs ram and nvidie geforce 540m 1gig video card.

everyone I really do appreciate the advice yall have given me so far, and I am trying the suggestions listed but nothing works so far. what I am running for my epsxe settings right now are:
    Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9
    Author: Pete Bernert
    Card vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
    GFX card: GeForce GT 540M/PCI/SSE2

Resolution/Color:
    - 1366x768 Fullscreen - NO desktop changing
    - Internal X resolution: 1
    - Internal Y resolution: 1
    - Keep psx aspect ratio: off
    - No render-to-texture: on

- Filtering: 5
    - Hi-Res textures: 0
    - TexWin pixel shader: off
    - VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
    - FPS limitation: on
    - Frame skipping: off
    - FPS limit: 60.0

Compatibility:
    - Offscreen drawing: 1
    - Framebuffer effects: 2
    - Framebuffer uploads: 1

Misc:
    - Scanlines: off
    - Mdec filter: on
    - Screen filtering: off
    - Shader effects: 0/1
    - Flicker-fix border size: 0
    - GF4/XP crash fix: on
    - Game fixes: on [00000002]

and I am using the emulator's native cd drive, the one that automatically comes with the emulator download. same with the sound plugin.

Thanks
    EP Points

FF8? Europe version? Download the copy protection patch of the game from here.

If I'm not mistaken, on FF games, you will be prompted to save the game at the end of each discs. With this, you can continue the game by inserting the next disc(obviously), then load the last save file you have made(if you're using 1.7.0's Run ISO option).
    Also, previous version of ePSXe has a working disc switching option, and recommended to use when playing FF games.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by meganova View Post
    FF8? Europe version? Download the copy protection patch of the game from here.

If I'm not mistaken, on FF games, you will be prompted to save the game at the end of each discs. With this, you can continue the game by inserting the next disc(obviously), then load the last save file you have made(if you're using 1.7.0's Run ISO option).
    Yeah, all of 'em except 'VII', so you actually do need to Run CDROM. But I think the disk-switching error is only in 1.7.0 .

Quote Originally Posted by meganova View Post
    Also, previous version of ePSXe has a working disc switching option, and recommended to use when playing FF games.
    Here is a thread with fixes for common FF errors.
    My gear:
    Spoiler warning:
    PC:
    Operating Systems: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Linux Mint 15 (partition on main drive), Windows XP Profesional x64 (on separate drive)

Nintendo DS Lite:
    Acekard 2.1

Sony PSP-1000 (phat)

Thanks
    EP Points

I have tried mounting the bin file, cd file, image file, and cue file from both the E and the NTSC-U versions of ff8 and ff7, both did the same thing and gave me the black screen with nothing loading up when I tried running cdrom.

Yes, I know that I can run from iso on these games and it will prompt me to save it at the end of each disc, I wont have to worry about it glitching on me between discs; however, there are some multi cd games that do not ask you to save between discs and this is what concerns me. I have heard quite a while back that epsxe 1.6 does not have this bug, but I am unfamiliar with it. will I be able to run about the same plugin settings for it and set it up the same way as 1.7? of course, if I can ever get 1.7 to work properly i would be ecstatic.

oh and I have looked at inferno's page before for FF games (thanks Alakazander ) but he uses a different GFX card than I do, his is not nvidia and for mine is recommended petes opengl 2.8 or 2.9 from what I have seen. do yall think i would be safe enough using his plugin and settings or will I have to stick with what I have? I know the settings work for running from iso, I CAN PLAY FROM THE ISO, I just have no clue whatsoever why it wont run cdrom.

*bows* thank you all for what aid you have provided so far. I am truly grateful, and hope that someone can help me with the cdrom issue.
    Last edited by deathneko11; 13th-February-2012 at 14:58.

Thanks
    EP Points

There is an option when you install DaemonTools to instal SPTD with DaemonToosl. IIRC, you have to install that for DaemonTools to mount PSX ISOs. You should reinstall DaemonTools, and make sure that is checked.

Using his exact plugin setup will probably not work but,
    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno
    Final Fantasy VII (You can use 1.5.2 or 1.6.0)
    Make sure you have offscreen drawing at 2-3 or above. And make sure you have "Adjust Frame Buffer Access" In special game fixes enabled.

Final Fantasy VIII (You can use 1.5.2 or 1.6.0)
    Again make sure your offscreen drawing is on 2-3 or above.

Final Fantasy IX !! READ NOW !!
    It is highly recommended you use ePSXe 1.5.2 for FFIX. Well you have to use it up to the cinematic where the airship is attacked by a Black Waltz. At this point you can switch over to ePSXe 1.6.0, via save state or memory card data and continue the game. Make sure you have G4 polygon cache enabled. It's in special fixes. Also be sure to have your offscreen drawing at 2-3+.
    ^That^ probably will.
    My gear:
    Spoiler warning:
    PC:

Nintendo DS Lite:
    Acekard 2.1

Sony PSP-1000 (phat)

Thanks
    EP Points

uninstalled daemon tools light, followed instructions and reinstalled it with the SPDT option checked. restarted computer. tested final fantasy 7 ntsc-u disc one. mounted bin and cue files given for that download, both attempts at offscreen drawing 2, which is the highest option for petes opengl 2.9, and used windowed mode 640by480. tried with both epsxe 1.7 and 1.6. both rendered the same results, nothing loaded up just a black screen. as my settings are, they sit at:
    Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9
    Author: Pete Bernert
    Card vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
    GFX card: GeForce GT 540M/PCI/SSE2

Resolution/Color:
    - 640x480 Window mode
    - Internal X resolution: 1
    - Internal Y resolution: 1
    - Keep psx aspect ratio: off
    - No render-to-texture: on

- Filtering: 3
    - Hi-Res textures: 0
    - TexWin pixel shader: off
    - VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
    - FPS limitation: on
    - FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
    - Offscreen drawing: 2
    - Framebuffer effects: 0
    - Framebuffer uploads: 1

Misc:
    - Scanlines: off
    - Mdec filter: on
    - Screen filtering: off
    - Shader effects: 0/1
    - Flicker-fix border size: 0
    - GF4/XP crash fix: off
    - Game fixes: on [00000002]

Plugin: P.E.Op.S. Soft Driver 1.1.18
    Author: Pete Bernert and the P.E.Op.S. team

Resolution/Color:
    - 640x480 Window mode
    Stretch mode: 2
    Dither mode: 0

Framerate:
    - FPS limit: on
    - FPS limit: Auto

Misc:
    - Scanlines: disabled
    - Game fixes: off [00000000]

so far all I can do is run ISO, but I have noticed that not all games give an iso, some of them just give cue and bin files or cd and image files to mount and run. It really bugs me that I cannot mount a file and run cdrom from epsxe. do I need to try some other gpu plugins maybe? I'm going to experiment with some older plugins and see if I cant find anything.

1 more thing, i remember there were certain graphics options that I need to turn on/off in my computer settings for my video card such as anisotropic filtering or something like that, if anyone knows what the settings are that need to be changed that little bit of info would be great

thanks again guys. I really appreciate the help. I swear, i never had these issues with my old system. apparently a boost in power does have it's disadvantages lol.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Sorry for not having the time to fully read this but seen as you have gotten so far

Try...

config the CD plugin to look at the correct CD-Rom Drive (whatever drive leter D-Tools Lite uses) [Double check it]

disable sub channel reading if it is enabled (try with if you want but load times can be slower)

Some games will spend a small amount of time on a black screen before booting so give it a few seconds

If for some reason it is still not working try resetting again
    Last edited by Zorlon; 13th-February-2012 at 19:37.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR