Thread: Another question to clear up for FAQ. Subj: Creating a Backup

JadeSaber Guest

Arrow Another question to clear up for FAQ. Subj: Creating a Backup

Ok, after reading over the FAQ, I realized that it just is not really clear on how to create a backup of your PSX CD. I think the information is generally there if you read it and piece it together, but I mean there isn't a simple start to finish answer.
    Here's what I think we should clear up a little (and I know practically nothing about this myself, but I will be trying it for myself to see if I can do it so I can come up with ideas and get experience.)

1: Which program should I use to copy the ISO from my original CD to my HD? Will FireBurner do it or is CloneCD better?

2: When I start "ripping" the CD, what settings on which program are best for quality and reliability?

3: When burning the ISO, is there any difference in CD-R quality by brand? (I found the TDK Black CDs at Wal Mart and they were pretty cheap. I suspect they will be better for ISO's than some of the green tinted CD-R's)

Generally, post up what you think I should know when I start to make my backup. I will then follow a set of directions and post up my experience or questions so that we can make sure it's accurate.

Pretty much all the burning instructions have been posted. But I would also like to know pros and cons of FireBurner, CloneCD, Daemon's Tools, etc.

Thanks guys!

demensia Guest

Default Hi Jadesaber

I have been searching this site along time now, and it is only now that I have decided to sign up. I have read alot of your posts and help, and I think you are doing a great job, keep it up.

Can I recomend a site ? It is fantastic, it teaches you about everything ISO burning related.
    www.megagames.com

It has in depth guide on burning, although it does leave a couple of things confusing for me. In case you haven't reliased this, I am really new to the ISO stage.

Here is a short list of recomended types of CDs for backups I found at megagames:

Vendor: Colour:
    Verbatim Datalife Plus Blue
    TDK Reflex Blue
    Philips Premium Silver Blue
    Sony CDQ-BN/CN/BP Blue
    Kodak Gold

These are the CDs listed based on the site experiences with copying CDs, the ones with the best results.

Now I have a problem, I was looking for these CDs in a Computer shop, yet the clostest thing I could find you one of these is

Philips SilverspeedX32
    I checked the back of the CDs, and they were silver, not blue. I a worried that I have picked the wrong type of CDs and I have wasted my money, can someone verify that these CDs work or do not work ?

Spank you in advance.

Thanks
    EP Points

They should work alright, I've used them once before and they're pretty reliable!

JadeSaber Guest

That site is pretty cool! Tons of neat things to see and do, but I can't figure out where exactly on the site it has to do with making ISO's or backup copies. Maybe I will check more later.