Thread: Floppy mounting

Thanks

Question Floppy mounting

Ok since most of you probably were born after the use/tail end of floppies, here's what a basic 3 1/2" floppy looks like. Now that I got that sarcasm off my chest here's my problem. Since I'm paranoid as all hell when it comes to using a pc or the internet (use Tor, it really works!!!!) I needed to find an operating system that scrambles data to within an inch of usability. Since a Linux based OS seemed the only possible choice, I found THL (Tinfoil Hat Linux). The only problem with THL is (from what I can figure out) that it relies on a floppy to run. After looking around the wiretapped internet for a bit I found a software Virtual Floppy Drive (the concept of this is similar to Daemon Tools but for floppy images). The only problem that I found with that is once I boot THL it'll probably screw up the mount I'm using. The only other way I could think of to make THL work is to burn the floppy image to a DVD±RW. My question to the epforum members is this. Is that possible?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by technoman View Post
    Ok since most of you probably were born after the use/tail end of floppies, here's what a basic 3 1/2" floppy looks like.
    Well, I still used floppies to backup some drawings I made in paint when I was very young,
    with my first PC, that is, so I am familiar with the odd gadget...

Anyway, they don't make PCs with floppy drives in my country for like 10 years now, so...
    (but then again, with only some 1.4 mb they really had to end, right?)

The only other way I could think of to make THL work is to burn the floppy image to a DVD±RW. My question to the epforum members is this. Is that possible?
    Regarding your question, I would only like to know, what type of data is inside it?
    I mean, is it an installer and files for it?

(If the PC can read the data from the floppy and run programs, it can surely be just the same
    thing to read the data from other storing devices, like a CD or a DVD, like you said. )

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by foggy_han View Post
    Regarding your question, I would only like to know, what type of data is inside it?
    I mean, is it an installer and files for it?
    I dunno. That's why I included the link. It's been a while since I had to use anything floppy oriented.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Why not just buy a floppy drive. Visit your local PC recycler and ask if they've got any, chances are they've got hundreds of them in a bin and can sell you one for a dollar. You'll probably need to ask for a IDE cable too
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Why not just buy a floppy drive. Visit your local PC recycler and ask if they've got any, chances are they've got hundreds of them in a bin and can sell you one for a dollar. You'll probably need to ask for a IDE cable too
    That is probably the best idea...

(I did not knew that you could still get one of those nowadays. )

Oh but, 'technoman', I just read some of the information in your link.
    The site mentions a "floppy image" in the download sectcion, so your idea of a "floppy virtual drive" could work too.

Thanks

The only problem with THL is (from what I can figure out) that it relies on a floppy to run.
    The only problem? What about it being a discontinued distro from almost ten years ago? Maybe you should look into something more recent...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Securit...erating_system

After looking around the wiretapped internet for a bit I found a software Virtual Floppy Drive (the concept of this is similar to Daemon Tools but for floppy images). The only problem that I found with that is once I boot THL it'll probably screw up the mount I'm using. The only other way I could think of to make THL work is to burn the floppy image to a DVD±RW. My question to the epforum members is this. Is that possible?
    How would you use a virtual floppy drive from "within" another OS unless your running THL as a virtual OS? IMDisk is the best by the way.

If you mean you'd actually like to boot the PC through the BIOS into THL, you'll need to boot the kernel contained on the floppy through a boot loader like GRUB (GRUB Legacy, GRUB2, or GRUB4DOS). If using GRUB4DOS, you may be able to just boot the floppy image itself.

Alternatively, you should be able to format a USB flash drive as a floppy, and write the floppy image to that. If the PC BIOS supports it, it'll boot from the USB drive like it were a floppy drive.

Thanks

I believe that it would be possible to burn the floppy disk to Cd but you would need to some how tell the OS to check the Cd Rom drive you might also have to install or add a Cd Rom driver to the OS your probably better getting a floppy drive like Ragnar said

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Virii View Post
    The only problem? What about it being a discontinued distro from almost ten years ago? Maybe you should look into something more recent...
    For security, BackTrack and DEFT.

For anonymity, Tails and Privatix Live-System.
    Also, take a look through This article.
    Last edited by Alakazander; 19th-January-2012 at 17:05.
    My gear:
    Spoiler warning:
    PC:
    Operating Systems: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Linux Mint 15 (partition on main drive), Windows XP Profesional x64 (on separate drive)
    Mainboard: MSi 890 FXA-GD65
    Processor (CPU): AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, 3.3 GHz
    Graphics Card (GPU): HIS HD 6870 IceQ X TurboX 1GB GDDR5
    RAM: 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 594MHz (9-9-9-24)

Nintendo DS Lite:
    Acekard 2.1
    Samsung class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Sony PSP-1000 (phat)
    6.39 PRO-C2 Custom Firmware
    PhotoFast CR-5400 MicroSD to MS Pro Duo Adapter Dual Slot
    Samsung class 10 32GB MicroSDHC
    SanDisk Ultra class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Thanks

Thanks dude. I got an internal floppy drive for DOS games and ancient paint projects though so I'd like to know if those OSes except floppies. Also I need a combo between Polippix and TAILS and I'd like to be able to keep XP and be able to switch between the OSes if I chose. For example I want the ability to boot into either the secure OSes or XP.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 323 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points