Thread: Dark Souls to possibly be ported to PC

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Dark Souls to possibly be ported to PC

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...s-pc-petition/

A recently launched petition requesting Namco Bandai release Dark Souls on PC hasn't gone unnoticed by the publisher.

"The future is in your hands, and I hope you will keep supporting this. I make a personal objective to make sure every relevant people in Namco Bandai Games is in touch with this formidable effort."

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knightshade For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Old news

and hope it does. (probably not tho)

Thanks
    EP Points

I would be alright with this. Assuming it's not just a shitty port as ports sometimes are, it could be a good opportunity for FromSoft to address some issues with the game, like the frame rate issues, possibly retouch some equipment specs, and PvP.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TheRealSpiders For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

I would like to play thsi game, but this hopeful PC version probably wouldn't even run on this comp.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealSpiders View Post
    I would be alright with this. Assuming it's not just a shitty port as ports sometimes are, it could be a good opportunity for FromSoft to address some issues with the game, like the frame rate issues, possibly retouch some equipment specs, and PvP.
    I agree it is a great opportunity to address the issues the game has, that's why I'm hope full about this release that plus there is always a way of modding PC games ini changes etc.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I can't see it happening, to be honest. Mostly from an actual profit standpoint -- they aren't a huge name, and won't really be attracting too many new players by porting to the PC. And with how rampant piracy is with PC gaming, why even bother?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Drageuth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth View Post
    I can't see it happening, to be honest. Mostly from an actual profit standpoint -- they aren't a huge name, and won't really be attracting too many new players by porting to the PC. And with how rampant piracy is with PC gaming, why even bother?
    Sadly this is all very true but it does show hope that they have at least acknowledged the petitioners instead of flat out ignoring them like some other companies *cough*Square-Enix*cough*
    So even though not likely I am going to watch how this plays out and cling to the small hope that I may be playing this on my computer someday.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Knightshade View Post
    Sadly this is all very true but it does show hope that they have at least acknowledged the petitioners instead of flat out ignoring them like some other companies *cough*Square-Enix*cough*
    So even though not likely I am going to watch how this plays out and cling to the small hope that I may be playing this on my computer someday.
    Acknowledging that the petition is there is one thing, but actually following through with what the petition calls for when it doesn't fiscally make any sense is just retarded. When you have a series of games that is basically known for being some of the hardest games of the last decade (give or take), you aren't really opening yourself up to a huge market of people. I actually wonder how many people who sign that petition would actually purchase the game if it was released on the PC... what would you say, probably 25%? That sounds about right to me.

I would move more towards their next title being released on PC, if they were to do it at all. However, they would have to create a title that doesn't allow other player's to invade someone's actual game and slaughtering them. I don't see that being a good idea on PC.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Drageuth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Acknowledging that the petition is there is one thing, but actually following through with what the petition calls for when it doesn't fiscally make any sense is just retarded.
    It's still better than ignoring it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gezegond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Acknowledging that the petition is there is one thing, but actually following through with what the petition calls for when it doesn't fiscally make any sense is just retarded. When you have a series of games that is basically known for being some of the hardest games of the last decade (give or take), you aren't really opening yourself up to a huge market of people. I actually wonder how many people who sign that petition would actually purchase the game if it was released on the PC... what would you say, probably 25%? That sounds about right to me.

I would move more towards their next title being released on PC, if they were to do it at all. However, they would have to create a title that doesn't allow other player's to invade someone's actual game and slaughtering them. I don't see that being a good idea on PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by gezegond View Post
    It's still better than ignoring it.
    I see both sides of this thing Drag is most likely right,but I still hold on to some hope because of the acknowledgment.
    Then again from a company standpoint acknowledging the petition is actually the best thing they can do to slow it's growth to many people misinterpret the acknowledgement and don't sign the petition because they see the acknowledgement as Dark Souls is getting released on PC. otherwise why would they even say they hear us, it's that kind of thinking that will kill this whole thing and I believe that is the companies strategy with this acknowledgement.

that said I'm still hoping,both to see this on p.c. and wrong about how people will see this move by the company.

Thanks

The cost of porting a game is relative to how they developed it. Usually it is just a matter of assigning commands to different parts of your hardware and removing limiters in the game engine itself. However, it can get very expensive if the developers only worked on the console Dev kit and not doing most of the work on a PC, then disabling features/reassigning commands that would chug the console it's meant for. If they made it with only the Dev kit, it'll be expensive (not really, just a few programmers over the course of a few months, 6 months tops). If on PC, probably 3 months pending their work load. What I'm saying is it wouldn't really be that expensive relative to the amount of money they can earn. Think 5 guys, 100k salaries working on this for 3-6 months. crazy expensive huh? (sarcasm)

And for all you people with the talk of piracy being an issue; stop it. It isn't an issue for the majority of the market. People usually steal a game if it isn't good enough to justify paying that much for it. If they were smart and reduced the price, they would get a lot more sales, especially when it is usually less than 5 cents per GB of bandwidth used. They can afford to sell online versions of their games for like $30 and still make more money per unit than they would by selling to a retail store. GoG proves this model by selling outdated games for like $10 and earning quite a few sales that would have been pirated if the buyer didn't know they could get a "legal" copy of the game for that cheap.

Because the thought of piracy has been blown out of proportion with the media, everyone tends to use piracy as a scapegoat for why something would when it's either the quality of the item, or the cost of the item that causes sales to not be so hot. Look at Ubisoft for a reference on that BS. They have blamed piracy for their poor sales when it was a case of people not buying shit for $60, then buying it for $10 when re-released for your local general store.

Thanks
    EP Points

Bleh, let's agree to disagree. That Namco employee on the forums was really positive and enthusiastic (see quote in OP), but if they still say no, I'm completely fine with that. Hell, at least they tried. More importantly, the fact that there are 72k signatures doesn't mean that only 72k people will potentially buy it (or 25% of that amount). Many people either don't know about the petition or are simply too lazy to sign it because "my one signature wouldn't help anyway". I wouldn't worry that much about piracy. It's just the common thing to categorize every PC gamer as an evil, selfish, pirating beast. IMO, if they put this on Steam (and not GFWL), it'll sell like hotcakes. I don't quite get all the negative nancy attitudes.

The "it's a really hard game" argument hardly makes sense, because hello, this is PC gaming we're talking about. You know, the guys who are constantly bitching about console games in general being too easy/dumbed down. The same guys who bought a million copies of The Witcher 2, a game that will kick your ass and rape your children if you don't know what you're doing. The devs ended up patching in a harder difficulty later on because people still felt it wasn't challenging enough in the late-game (so did I). See this video for a more detailed argument.

Just my 2 cents. If I end up being proven wrong later, I'll be the first to admit it.

Edit: Link in the OP is broken, you didn't copy/paste it correctly. Here's this instead:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...cos-attention/
    Last edited by Gare; 14th-January-2012 at 15:47.

Thanks
    EP Points

One question, could someone tell me how many companies/developers have really heard players' shouts about porting a game to another platform? I would be really happy to see a game such as Dark Souls coming to my only-playing-option-right-now, the PC, but in my lifetime as a gamer, I haven't read (or wanted to read) any news about a company porting a game to the PC because people asked. What I've seen are players complaining about lazy ports.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Fischer View Post
    I haven't read (or wanted to read) any news about a company porting a game to the PC because people asked. What I've seen are players complaining about lazy ports.
    That's how fans work. They ask for lots of stuff, and when they actually get them, they'll complain anyway.