Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's the likelihood of being caught for DLing?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SegNin View Post
    There was a guy on another emulation forum who did that.

He bought, ripped, and uploaded a Mario Wii game a week before it was widely available and posted a picture of the receipt on this message board and Nintendo was able to track him down through that picture and sued him for 1.3 million plus court fees: http://www.geek.com/articles/games/n...ame_height=300
    The disturbing part of James Burt's story is....
    the Federal Court granted Nintendo a search order, forcing Burt to allow access to not just his computers and other physical storage, but also his email, websites and social network accounts
    Source:
    Why The War On Piracy is all at sea?

I haven't seen any recent information about how Burt is going to settle this massive debt........but I assume he has to make regular part payments.
    And if his income ever increases, he wins a lottery or whatever he'll probably be forced to pay as much as possible.

Basically he'll be poor for a long time........unless some sort of financial miracle happens in his life

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kuro Kagami View Post
    Even if he downloaded 1000+ gigs of stuff odds are rather low (see close to 0) that he gets caught...

Unless he's an complete idiot and does something stupid like downloading the latest movies/music from torrents without any further safety methods or brags about it in front of the police/while showing his real face over the Internet... (and yes, there are really people that stupid)
    Yep, from my experience and other people's stories, it seems to be a better chance of getting caught for downloading the latest thing.

We were new to torrenting at the time, so we kinda had a spree. Say the latest movie was 300. Well, I downloaded like 10-20GB of stuff but it wasn't that movie, someone in the house got caught and we all got an email warning.

The warning is kinda like, hey don't torrent for 2 weeks or a month... then you're back under the radar supposedly. Well, that's for me since I'm torrenting again as is. I think we had 2 warnings so far.

Username: SoySauce (or similar) Name: Kenshii

Thanks
    EP Points

I have been downloading torrents for over 6 years with many different ISPs and have never been caught or warned.

I have downloaded all the newest stuff and also loadsa old shit.

I have never known ANYONE who had been caught.

Maybe its just different here in the uk.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Chosenne777 View Post
    I have a friend who downloaded like 20ish gigs form file sharing websites from links on this websites. He is a bit paranoid he will get a notice in his email/law suit. Most of it he owns but some of what he downloaded he does not won the original, so is it likely he will get caught?
    It would be highly unlikely for your friend to be caught (assuming he isnt using bittorrent). We don't store any information about who downloads what. No IP addresses or any other details are stored/recorded. Unless he is on an insecure network and someone is able to snoop his activity, it's highly unlikely that anything is ever going to happen.

Hope this helps ease your mind a bit

Thanks

Masj are you the one that runs the website? You know running the whole show? Cause I would like to hear from whoever knows everything their is to know about the web and torrents and IP adresses what-not....so in other words if your the head guy, could you tell me anything and everything their is to know about my chances of getting caught possibly using emuparadise please? my email is [email protected] -thanks.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Playbite View Post
    Masj are you the one that runs the website? You know running the whole show? Cause I would like to hear from whoever knows everything their is to know about the web and torrents and IP adresses what-not....so in other words if your the head guy, could you tell me anything and everything their is to know about my chances of getting caught possibly using emuparadise please? my email is [email protected] -thanks.
    I think he just said didnt he?

Thanks

I know in the past I have been a bad person when it has come to illegal downloading but if you guys want to watch something here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dk-Z...eature=related

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Playbite View Post
    I think if you're this worried about being caught downloading illegal files, then you should just... not download them.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I've never even once had a worrisome thought about being caught. *shrug*

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Tangentially related...

What is the current status of this SOPA you US guys may be victims of? How will the site be affected if it passes?
    I am Mega Man, I'm blue and cyan - the creation of Dr Light (or Right, if you're from Japan)
    Also known as Rockman

My Mega Buster can cut the mustard, I'm a flustered amputee
    POW POW!
    Eight robot bosses in eight levels dishevel and revel in devilry,
    I'll steal their weaponry!

I am also known as the "Blue Bomber"
    I could shoot the legs off Jeffrey Dahmer
    Kill a robot fish, kill a robot frog,
    and then I ride off on my robot dog...

JOIN THE SHMUP MANIACS! Arcade & home console 2D shmups!

vThanks button, down herev

Thanks

I got in a bit of hot water for DLing, once, but it didnt involve my internet/cable provider....

Wife: "Hey, honey? Whats this torrent here with the DS games? Its called Suzy's Wet Beach Blast??"
    Me: "Ohhh....uhhhh...thats a....uhhhhh.....thats supposed to be some sort of 'beach simulator' game...yup..."
    Wife: " ..................... "
    Me:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by The Almighty MegaMan View Post
    Tangentially related...

What is the current status of this SOPA you US guys may be victims of? How will the site be affected if it passes?
    can't hardly find any info on SOPA it's supposed to be going up for vote on the twenty forth of this month google and other sites are talking about a temp shut down around then (sometime between the 22 to the 23) to draw more attention to the issue.
    as to how it will affect EP they may lose some american members due to lack of internet knowledge I myself already have EP's I.P. address saved to a file on my computer plus firefox already has an add on called desopa that connects via IP address instead of by regular url(for the less internet tech savvy.) anyway so I think EP will be able to retain most of it's american members even if sopa passes

if you would like to keep tabs on it's progress see this thread as it's being updated with new info all the time

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...net+censorship
    Last edited by Knightshade; 9th-January-2012 at 18:44.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Knightshade View Post
    I myself already have EP's I.P. address saved to a file on my computer
    mind sharing it?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by gezegond View Post
    mind sharing it?

there you go.

There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity ignorant people can be taught
    stupid people need to be shot.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by GradyWilson View Post
    I got in a bit of hot water for DLing, once, but it didnt involve my internet/cable provider....

Wife: "Hey, honey? Whats this torrent here with the DS games? Its called Suzy's Wet Beach Blast??"
    Me: "Ohhh....uhhhh...thats a....uhhhhh.....thats supposed to be some sort of 'beach simulator' game...yup..."
    Wife: " ..................... "
    Me:
    Did you watch it with your wife later?

Yeah, I've been caught D/L a game. Well it wasn't me downloading, but my brother. And he was using a torrent, apparently PeerGuardian wasn't enough. So there's a likelyhood, they might not find you all the time, you might spend a whole lifetime downloading off torrents and never being found out, but there's that change you get caught.

Check my YouTube for gameplay and pickup videos!

Steam|Youtube