Thread: MAME is kickin my arse!!

Thanks
    EP Points

Default MAME is kickin my arse!!

Alright this is the 3rd game in arow I've downloaded that I cant seem to get to work. I just downloaded MAME .144 which appears to have the bios already in the roms folder. I just downloaded Dungeon magic out of the mame roms section and when I attempt to play it I get the missing CHD or ROM images banner. There isnt any CHD files to download from this site for this game and the emulator says its in good working order so what am I missing here? Please help I am a humble idiot who needs direction on what the steps are I need to take when this happens. I bummed dudes. Thanks for any info kicked down to us kids who still got alot of learning to do

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Have you tweaked with any settings?
    Destiny ∂єѕтιηу ですちんゆ デスティニー
    If you like the advice you receive from someone, don't forget to thank them and press this star at the bottom of the person's post to add to their reputation =]

Thanks

Sounds like you need to do some reading on MAME, and the following three subjects

1. Parent Roms, or Sets

2. Clone Roms, or Sets

3. CHD (Compressed Hard Disk Image)

Here's a good start.
    http://mamedev.org/devwiki/index.php/FAQ:ROMs

Remember that roms are version specific. If you can't download MAME roms for version 0.144, like you mentioned, you'll need to rebuild them with a rom tool like 'romcenter', or 'clrmamepro'.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Virii For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

And my advice has just been demolished =D lol good job though =]
    Destiny ∂єѕтιηу ですちんゆ デスティニー
    If you like the advice you receive from someone, don't forget to thank them and press this star at the bottom of the person's post to add to their reputation =]

Thanks
    EP Points

Open a command promt and move to your mame dir
    type:
    mame -verifyroms dungeonm

Your output is something like this?
    dungeonm : d69-06.bin (2097152 bytes) - NOT FOUND (lightbr)
    dungeonm : d69-07.bin (2097152 bytes) - NOT FOUND (lightbr)
    dungeonm : d69-09.bin (1048576 bytes) - NOT FOUND (lightbr)

Download the lightbr romset and put into the mame/roms dir...
    Play...

Use:
    mame -listroms dungeonm
    if you need to know the correct name of a romset (or rebuild with ctrlmame/romcenter)!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WitchHunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Hey right on guys! I'll get right on it! No..I didnt tweak any settings Bigbigbuddy. Thank you also Virii I know a little about needing the parent roms but I know nothing about "sets" or "clone" roms. That will be helpful. I understand CHD files and have downloaded them to get Killer instinct 1 and 2 to play. But I am having a hell of a time getting Gaunlet dark legacy to run in MAME .144. I've downloaded the CHD and the ROM but I'm still not able to get it going. Do I need the CHD files for not only version DL 2.52 but also version DL 2.4? Both are CHD files available on EP but I only downloaded CHD version DL 2.52 because the ROM is version "2.52" and is the only ROM available on EP for Gauntlet Dark Legacy. Theres good feedback and people are playing it from what I see and when I try to open it in MAME it says on the banner at the bottom that its working.....mmmmm. Last but certainly not least Whichhunter I will check that out dude and see what I come up with and follow the steps you gave me. I know I'm really pumpin you guys for info but you guys got any thoughts on Gauntlet Dark legacy as well? Thank you so much

Thanks

With MAME emulators, or emulators that use MAME roms, you typically place the games roms in folder in the defined rom path. And for games with CHD files, you'd place them in a sub-directory named after the rom's MAME name.

You end up with something like the following in the roms folder.

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Hope this helps, but last time I remember hearing about the 3d Gauntlet games, they ran pretty slow on anything other than a top of the line PC due to no GPU support in MAME. This means it's all dependent on CPU processing. You may have better luck with the Dreamcast version, and nullDC.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Virii For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

As Virii says:
    put gauntdl.zip in roms\ dir
    put gauntdl.chd in roms\gauntdl\ dir

.\roms\gauntdl.zip:
    gauntdl.bin 524288 CRC(3d631518) SHA1(d7f5a3bc109a19c9c7a711d607ff87e11868b536)
    vegassio.bin 32768 CRC(d1470e23) SHA1(f6e8405cfa604528c0224401bc374a6df9caccef)

.\roms\gauntdl\:
    gauntdl.chd [chd-md5: N/A] [chd-sha1: ba3af48171e727c2f7232c06dcf8411cbcf14de8]

Check if you've the correct CHD with ctrlmame or open the command prompt go inside the mame dir and type
    chdman -info .\roms\gauntdl\gauntdl.chd
    as see if the SHA1 match

If the SHA1 don't match try to update the chd to new version with:
    chdman -update .\roms\gauntdl\gauntdl.chd tmp.chd

check SHA1 of tmp.chd with chdman -info tmp.chd, if it was the right one rename and replace your old chd. If not, search the web for the new CHD

Also verify your CHD with:
    chdman -verify .\roms\gauntdl\gauntdl.chd

12. The Following User Says Thank You to WitchHunter For This Useful Post: