Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Annual Christmas Gifts Thread - 2011 Edition

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default Annual Christmas Gifts Thread - 2011 Edition

So, it's time for that bastion of consumerism and symptom of (not always) friendly family feuds to make its return, the annual "What did you get for Christmas" thread. Brag about your fortune or bemoan your ill fate as you wish.

For myself, it's pretty straightforward: cash and a new widescreen LCD monitor. I ended up setting it up with my old one in an extended desktop simply because I could, but I didn't realize just how yellow-tinted my old monitor was until I had the comparison set out right in front of me. I suppose that now, if I really wanted to, I could use the extra video cable to add my TV into the mix, and have a display spanning essentially the entire length of my (small) bedroom, but that just feels like self-indulgent techwankery, doesn't it? Outside of Aurora, I don't really have an actual use for even two monitors. At any rate, I ended up splurging a bit for the rest of my family; new boots for my kid sister, a gift card for my mother, a smartphone for my father, video games for my niece, and Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee for everyone (except me; I'm the only one in the family who doesn't drink coffee).

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Haven't opened my main gifts, but some internet buddies got me some Steam games on sale. Fallout, Still Life 1&2 and the Penny Arcade games.

Also got to pick the next schedule for a friend's livestream and someone made me this beauty:

Using it at ScrewAttack.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

My extended family doesn't deserve anything so nothing is what they get.

I did adopt a military family and sent $400 worth of stuff, mostly gift cards but heh. The guidelines said you could use $100...who can have Christmas for $100? That needs to be updated. Got some video games for my brother and step-brother. Movies for my mom.

Don't know what I'm going to get yet.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ah, if we're discussing what we got people...

I lack any money at the moment so I couldn't buy anything. However, I could use my shooping skills in two Secret Santas we did, poor versions. Made these for some friends:

The MadWorld set is for a teacher I know who loves the game and the other is an ad sig for that friend with the Livestream.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well I know I like giving way more than getting. Last year changed a lot for me when I adopted a fam through United Way. I'm pretty much going to do something similar every year.

I like that avy - tag combo one you did there darkseid.

Of course I did get myself some gifts...but I do that year round.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

A funny calender, a box of Jelly Bellys, small box of shortbread cookies, seventy dollars, heated gloves and some new sweat pants. Overall, pretty satisfied.

EDIT: Just got surprised by my mom, she got me Inception and Blazing Saddles movie posters!
    Last edited by JKDarkside; 25th-December-2011 at 15:07.

Thanks
    EP Points

I got my mom some gloves, a scarf, and a Headband.
    I got bowling stuff, LoZ: Twilight Princess, and a hand-knitted scarf with school colors as the main highlights.
    I also have to go to my aunt's house later today.
    Will update if there's anything interesting.
    Last edited by Nemkoon; 25th-December-2011 at 15:57.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Well I know I like giving way more than getting. Last year changed a lot for me when I adopted a fam through United Way. I'm pretty much going to do something similar every year.

I like that avy - tag combo one you did there darkseid.

Of course I did get myself some gifts...but I do that year round.
    Never hurts to give to people that need it .

A friend of mine said they got me a gift, definitely unexpected. I'll have to give him books or an extra game now.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

Sweet fuck all.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    Sweet fuck all.
    Interesting gift .

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    EP Points

I get new DVDs- Transformers 3, X-Men: First Class, Rocko's Modern Life Season One, How I Met Your Mother Season 6, The Office Season Seven, I also get New Sweaters & Pants, Tanktops, Boxers, Socks, Gift Card and some Cash.

Thanks

A generic shamwow, a soul in a jar, socks and boxers, vanilla wafers sticks ( ), a pocket knife, a Minecraft t-shirt, and an awesome laser for my room that looks like a neon galaxy or some crazy shit. I love it. And some monies. And I'm still going to buy myself a Galaxy Samsung S2 and possibly Windows 7. And I bought the lady some zombie/horror short story collections, and a photo book.

Thanks
    EP Points

I got 3 sets of guitar strings (I needed 'em, too!) a fresh roll of solder, a 16GB flash drive and a second classic controller for my Wii. Score!

All the gifts I got for everyone else sound kinda boring... can of coffee, carton of cigs, and a couple movies for my mom (really wish she'd quit smoking) and a wallet and running suit for my uncle, and some PJ's and chocolates for my aunt. My family likes gifts they can use, so it's boring, everyday stuff... but they liked it.
    *If my post was helpful, click the star in the lower left corner of it to say "Thanks".
    *My username will unlock my uploads, if a password is needed.
    *Games, Guitars, or Girls... choose any two.

Supreme Warrior Guest

Oh man, im happy this year, I finally got what i been needing, a Quality Router for playing my DS Lite and Wii online

Tis a good Christmas, and speakin of DS/wii online, who wants to rumble in something?

Hit me up in a VM or PM.

Thanks
    EP Points

I got my dad a Gene Autry miniature guitar; it was (at least to me) symbolic for thanking him in a profound way. Relationships between fathers and sons are so complex, but the tension they create seems to be a very good thing insofar as what strength is gained from the strained interaction.

I received a lot of good food from relatives in Iowa, which is most certainly a gift that keeps on giving. It is the quintessential opposite of the trying rations I end up with whenever I return home from my grocery store panic attacks. These pastries and soups will be a comfort for many days (and maybe even weeks) to come, and I have not yet fully digested their long lasting solidarity.