Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do we really care about originality?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Brutal Legend sucked. Hard.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

One page entirely made out of tl;dr posts. Sorry.

I'm the only one on the floating boat whose flag says "INNOVATION FIRST".

I like certain long-running franchises, even some remakes, but come on! In these last 5 years, name at least ten new franchises that have proven themselves as good and sequel-worthy.

Innovation has dissapeared. So did creativity. It's all copypastecopypastecopypastecopypaste.

That's what makes me have such a love-hate relationship with Ninty.
    Hardware wise they ALWAYS create something new, and 9 times out of 10 it catches on, and Sony/M$ follow.
    But software wise it's Mario 238924 3D Turbo Core Special and Zelda XYZ Adventure on fuckland. I can't remember a great franchise of them that hasn't been born before 1995.

In short, yes, create new games, with new gameplay. Change. Take stabs in the dark, devs.
    Rocksmith, for example, is taking RB3's idea up to eleven, and they have even created minigames to play with your guitar. It's not -groundbreaking- but it's different, it's better.
    I am Mega Man, I'm blue and cyan - the creation of Dr Light (or Right, if you're from Japan)
    Also known as Rockman

My Mega Buster can cut the mustard, I'm a flustered amputee
    POW POW!
    Eight robot bosses in eight levels dishevel and revel in devilry,
    I'll steal their weaponry!

I am also known as the "Blue Bomber"
    I could shoot the legs off Jeffrey Dahmer
    Kill a robot fish, kill a robot frog,
    and then I ride off on my robot dog...

JOIN THE SHMUP MANIACS! Arcade & home console 2D shmups!

vThanks button, down herev

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by The Almighty MegaMan View Post

I like certain long-running franchises, even some remakes, but come on! In these last 5 years, name at least ten new franchises that have proven themselves as good and sequel-worthy.

Innovation has dissapeared. So did creativity. It's all copypastecopypastecopypastecopypaste.

Hardware wise they ALWAYS create something new, and 9 times out of 10 it catches on, and Sony/M$ follow.
    But software wise it's Mario 238924 3D Turbo Core Special and Zelda XYZ Adventure on fuckland. I can't remember a great franchise of them that hasn't been born before 1995.
    But what's the point of "innovation first" is it amounts to a crap game? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for new ideas and creativity, but not at the expense of a an actually enjoyable gaming experience. Remember, "unique" does not always transcribe into "good".

As far as the already established franchises not differing from their prior entries greatly, why change a winning formula? I mean that's the reason they're sequels, because they have generally the same core mechanics (and related stories I guess), otherwise they might as well be new IPs.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Okami
    Bully
    Bioshock
    The Witcher
    Assassin's Creed
    Rock Band
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Demon's Souls
    Blazblue
    Portal

OPINIONS!

Thanks

One page entirely made out of tl;dr posts. Sorry.

In short, yes, create new games, with new gameplay. Change. Take stabs in the dark, devs.
    Rocksmith, for example, is taking RB3's idea up to eleven, and they have even created minigames to play with your guitar. It's not -groundbreaking- but it's different, it's better.
    tl;dr

sorry.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Raype View Post
    Okami
    Bully
    Bioshock
    The Witcher
    Assassin's Creed
    Rock Band
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Demon's Souls
    Blazblue
    Portal

OPINIONS!
    Fair enough. Take RB out, the first game came out in 2003.
    Okami and Bully came out more than 5 years ago.
    I was just about to tell you to take out Valkyria Chronicles too, but I got that confused with Valkyrie Profile.
    I also confused Blazblue with some other fighting series. I didn't know it came out just 3 years ago.

I need to get some facts checked. Still, 7 ain't 10

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealSpiders View Post
    But what's the point of "innovation first" is it amounts to a crap game? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for new ideas and creativity, but not at the expense of a an actually enjoyable gaming experience. Remember, "unique" does not always transcribe into "good".

As far as the already established franchises not differing from their prior entries greatly, why change a winning formula? I mean that's the reason they're sequels, because they have generally the same core mechanics (and related stories I guess), otherwise they might as well be new IPs.
    Because it gets old? Just as I said, it's a matter of opinion. I.E., I love Legends like you wouldn't believe, and I don't think I would've played it if it didn't boldly say MEGAMAAAAAAANNNNNNN on the title.

I'll be getting a Wii, so I'll try Network Transmission too, soon enough.

I, of course, agree on that it MUST be good. I'm not talking about making good franchises go down the drain, but I applaud fresh ideas.
    Teaching the old dog some new tricks.

Besides, games can be good and not be commercially sucessful enough to guarantee a sequel. That's when "big names+good new ideas" is a winning formula.
    Last edited by The Almighty MegaMan; 17th-December-2011 at 03:45.
    I am Mega Man, I'm blue and cyan - the creation of Dr Light (or Right, if you're from Japan)
    Also known as Rockman

POW POW!

Thanks

Take RB out, the first game came out in 2003.:
    Uhh, November, 2007?

Okami is just at the 5 year mark. Like 5 years, 2 months. Same with Bully.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Quiji View Post
    tl;dr

sorry.
    B+

Quote Originally Posted by raype
    OPINIONS!
    :O

Something that pisses me off is games that are a sequel in name only. I'm looking at you Alundra 2, Magna Carta 2 etc...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

tl;dr

sorry.
    Well played.

If you're wondering what camp I'm in, it's a weird one. I like coming across something out of the norm, either via the gameplay or style. My favorite games come down to this, such as Psychonauts for trying a game based around using symbolism to entirely design levels or Chuthulu Saves the World for taking the basic JRPG formula and twisting it into something far more fast paced and less grating. If a series just recycles the same stuff over and over, I hate it (MW, Madden, ect). If the series changes in meaningful ways, I'll stick with it. It's why i still enjoy games like Soul Calibur and Tekken, they add a lot of single player content each new game. They aren't the most original, but I like that they keep things fresh.

Where the problem comes in is not when something becomes big. It's when it becomes big, inspires tons of copycats while not evolving in any meaningful way. It's why I don't give a fuck about Zelda anymore, because the last two major games in the series stick way too close to the basics and what has been changed is a bit minor.

Ehh, just my two cents on the subject. As for my own thoughts on Mirror's Edge and Brutal Legend, I like both a lot. I admire that Mirror's Edge tried doing something with a first person perspective beyond SHOOT ALL THE THINGS SOMETIMES HIDE in it's gameplay and I love all the care that went into Legend. There's a lot of love for the source material of metal music and it just oozes personality at every single moment and menu.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Uhh, November, 2007?

Okami is just at the 5 year mark. Like 5 years, 2 months. Same with Bully.
    5 years is 5 years.

About Rock band... I don't know. I think my mind just farted.

C'mon. I KNOW that there are more than 10 games out there that came out in the last 5 years that are worthy of becoming stable franchises.
    Last edited by The Almighty MegaMan; 17th-December-2011 at 03:56.
    Also known as Rockman

POW POW!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
    Ehh, just my two cents on the subject. As for my own thoughts on Mirror's Edge and Brutal Legend, I like both a lot. I admire that Mirror's Edge tried doing something with a first person perspective beyond SHOOT ALL THE THINGS SOMETIMES HIDE in it's gameplay and I love all the care that went into Legend. There's a lot of love for the source material of metal music and it just oozes personality at every single moment and menu.
    From what my friends said the soundtrack was mostly poor for that game. I didn't play enough of it to know honestly...I suppose I'll go look at a list of what was on it.

Just looked it over, very hit or miss in my books.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    From what my friends said the soundtrack was mostly poor for that game.
    Your friend hates metal.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
    Your friend hates metal.
    Nah, we are true metal aficionados, I don't even know how many metal albums I have on my hdds. A lot of bad bands on that soundtrack. Some used to be okay but then just became awful like In Flames.

Thanks
    EP Points

I mean, there have been a few good original games fairly recently. Bit.Trip and The World Ends With You come to mind. But I guess once something has a large following, more and more demand is created for it. Hence, sequel after sequel after prequel. Good original games become series far too quickly.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

5 years is 5 years.

About Rock band... I don't know. I think my mind just farted.

C'mon. I KNOW that there are more than 10 games out there that came out in the last 5 years that are worthy of becoming stable franchises.
    Acceptable.

Catherine
    Dragon Age
    Batman: Arkham