Page 92 of 268 FirstFirst ... 42828788899091929394959697102142192 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 4014

Thread: The Metal Gear Out: Revengevengevengeance

Thanks

Steam? Crack? Local IP? Valve?

Huh...

Keep hearing of 'Steam'....need to Google...

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by GradyWilson View Post
    wut

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Steam? Crack? Local IP? Valve?

Huh...

Steam is a computer service that allows you to purchase games. It also functions as a multiplayer service and an anti-piracy measure. As far as PC's go, it's the equivalent of Xbox Live or Playstation Network. In order to play games using Steam you need an internet connection for online verification. Think of it as DRM with benefits.

Valve is a developer. They created Steam as a way to stop people from pirating Half Life 2 as well as offer a place to hawk their wares. It's since grown into a behemoth of PC gaming. You can't discuss PC gaming without mentioning Steam nowadays. They sell damn near everything and almost everything runs using it. If they don't, they usually use one of the upstart Steam derivatives that have become popular as of late.

Local IP= your own network/computer. Basically I was stating that you can fool the Steam service into thinking your own computer is Steam HQ. Then you bounce back a verification that says it's legit software (even if it isn't). Boom, working pirated Steam game.

Crack is just a way to play PC software that isn't purchased. It's software that bypasses protection put in place to stop you from pirating it. Patches and the like. Similar to the shit people do with certain console games to make them playable (PSP, NDS).

Thanks

Ah - I see what it is now. Looks neat, though I'd personally have no use for it...

Raype, thanks, man! Your descriptions were vastly superior to the ones I was getting via Google. (Only, I dunno what a 'DRM' is..) Doesnt 'Valve' have something to do with Bio-Shock, or? Also, LOVED Half-Life years ago...played the first one for a bit.... (HEAD CRABS!!) Is there a version of Half-Life that is playable on either the DS or the PSPs?

Thanks
    EP Points

4 day weekend

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ah - I see what it is now. Looks neat, though I'd personally have no use for it...

Raype, thanks, man! Your descriptions were vastly superior to the ones I was getting via Google. (Only, I dunno what a 'DRM' is..) Doesnt 'Valve' have something to do with Bio-Shock, or? Also, LOVED Half-Life years ago...played the first one for a bit.... (HEAD CRABS!!) Is there a version of Half-Life that is playable on either the DS or the PSPs?

There's a version, but it's glitchy. I reccomend playing it through Steam. There are the sales now.

Check my YouTube for gameplay and pickup videos!

Steam|Youtube

Thanks

"Glitchy version" - ? More, please....?

About 'Steam', yeah.....I dunno...... I have seen similar services, I have buddies that get on-line through 'places' like that and play games together....wear the head-sets and all.....just not my thing, I suppose..

Honestly, ever since I first touched a DS/PSP a year or so ago, I rarely even step to the TV for gaming; and I NEVER game via the PC. (My wife is the same way....we have a massive library of PS2 at our disposal, as well as pretty much any system/computer we could desire, and yet, the hand-helds seem to suit us just fine...)

The dude that does our comp stuff is a real sight to behold. He is this 50-something UBER-nerd that rarely talks above a mumble, and never looks you in the eye. This guy's skills are nearly other-worldly in my eyes, and his shop looks like something out of a techno-Dickens novel, with computer entrails scattered around and random cats wandering where they please. I could easily throw some bread at him and have him 'create' for us a truly BADass comic-book-supervillain-computer, but meh....no need....he knows our requirements and meets them; no more, no less.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

(Only, I dunno what a 'DRM' is..)

Doesnt 'Valve' have something to do with Bio-Shock, or? Also, LOVED Half-Life years ago...played the first one for a bit.... (HEAD CRABS!!) Is there a version of Half-Life that is playable on either the DS or the PSPs?

DRM -> Digital Rights Management. It's the stuff people put in games to stop people from pirating them. Extremely prevalent among PC games. Removing/bypassing it is the biggest step towards making something that can be pirated. Gamers pirate games. Developers come up with methods to stop that. Gamers bypass that. Developers make DRM. Gamers make cracks that break DRM. Cliff notes version, but pretty much how it came about and how it works. It's also why you typically have to wait a few days/weeks to grab a PC game if you don't get it legitimately. Those couple days/weeks are usually filled with a couple expert hackers trying to find out a way to get around the DRM or remove it entirely, while still making the game playable.

Valve hasn't had anything to do with Bio Shock. That was 2K games. Specifically 2K Boston. It's currently known as Irrational Games. It's made up of former employees of Looking Glass Studios (System Shock, Thief). 2K Marin handled the sequel. Some of them are former 2K Boston and LGS members. Yeah, it's a cluster fuck. In summary, no. That company that makes all those sports games and Grand Theft Auto made Bioshock. Sorta. It's complicated. But anyway, Bioshock is one of the many many games available through Steam.

As for Half Life, dunno. It's been ported to practically everything with a computer chip so I'd say it's possible. I just haven't paid attention /worst DS/PSP moderator ever

Thanks
    EP Points

HL on PSP/DS no. Dreamcast (official port but wasn't finished), yes. Xbox, no. PS2, yes (official port)

Thanks
    EP Points

JD Power & Associates free signup for paid surveys. Get $5 for signing up. I did surveys until I got tired of doing surveys. Have somewhere around $8 already. Rewards at $25.

happy

Thanks
    EP Points

I just had a huge dinner but I couldn't finish it.

Was my first proper meal in 14 hours.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    I just had a huge dinner but I couldn't finish it.

Was my first proper meal in 14 hours.
    Try not to pass out.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    Try not to pass out.

Now look what you've made me do... Fisting...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well if you can't finish eating it, fisting is a decent alternative.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Raype View Post
    Well if you can't finish eating it, fisting is a decent alternative.
    Fisting: Just a different way to say hello.